TVH Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH Questions TVH Questions

Unread 02-11-2005, 02:20 AM
TVH Questions

I'm scheduled for a TVH on the 16th of February and met with my Drs. for pre-op on Tuesday. I'm a little concerned because I do not meet any of the medical criteria for this procedure but they feel we have a 50/50 chance of performing it this way, if not they will have to TAH. Has anyone run into this before, the criteria is that you must of had 2 vaginal births (I've have 1 cesarean)? My other question is recovery, Dr. said I'll be back to work in two weeks and from what I've heard from other women (not on Hyster Syster) there is no way I'll be back up and functioning at a normal rate of speed by that time.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2005, 07:29 AM
TVH Questions

As far as how fast you can go back to work, according to my doctor a lot of that depends on how you feel and what you do. My doctor is giving me 6 weeks (I get paid the whole time) and I am taking it! She also told me stories of women who went back a lot faster. But still - 2 weeks sounds very soon.
Unread 02-11-2005, 10:40 PM
TVH Questions

Not sure why you were told that one must have had 2 vaginal births in order to have a TVH. There are numerous women on here (including myself) who've only given birth once and even some who've never given birth who underwent a TVH.
You Dr can do a simple "pull test" on the cervix/uterus to check for elasticity in the office to see if youre a candidate. As long as theres some slack in the pelvic floor and the uterus is under 250gms the patient should be able to undergo and tolerate the procedure.
If this were me i'd definitely question my Dr again to make sure you heard correctly what was said, as a TVH is a bit easier recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2005, 06:10 AM
TVH Question

The "pull test" was done and Dr. said we had slack so I guess were looking good. Thanks for the responses!
Unread 02-12-2005, 06:23 AM
TVH Questions

There would have been no way I could have gone back to work at 2 weeks. Many women feel a little worse the third week as stitches start to dissolve, etc.

If there's any way you can take off six weeks, by all means do it. Don't rush yourself back to work when most drs will tell you it takes 6-8 weeks for recovery.

Be good to yourself and allow yourself that extra time.
s

Blessings,
Judy
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:06 AM
TVH Questions

I'm not sure what the criteria is for a TVH but I had a LAVH-BSO and I've never had a child. It was my understanding that the limiting factor seemed to be the size of the uterus.

The Dr said he almost had to do a TAH on me because my uterus was much larger than the 250 gm he thought it was. Due to it's size, (larger than a grapefruit), he had very little room to work with inside the pelvis.

As for recovery time, this is only day 5 post op for me and I have no pain and feel great. I think in another week I will not even know I had surgery!
Unread 02-12-2005, 10:26 AM
TVH Questions

I was never told what the criteria for a TVH was either, but I just had my pre-op yesterday and I was changed to a TAH based on size (I think the way it was put to me was something like "Let's see if I have enough room to maneuver for everything we want to do.") NOT.

Disappointed but since I also got the "50/50" discussion, I am rather relieved to know ahead and now, I can worry accordingly

Oh. When we originally were thinking TVH, I was told 6 weeks off, dr. said a TVH can reduce the time you physically feel better but she still felt 6 weeks off was needed (one dr.'s opinion).
Unread 02-12-2005, 12:29 PM
TVH Questions

Hi there.

I had a TVH in December and there is no way I would've felt good enough to go back to work in 2 weeks, but some do. Even though you FEEL great you have to take it easy. It isn't hard to over do things and get super sore. That is hard. I can say every Dr is different. If you have questions I'd ask them before hand. 2 weeks just seems too early to return to work. I still had a hard time sitting up for long periods of time (liek in teh computer chair, etc).

I wish you much luck!!!!!!!!

shelly
Unread 02-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TVH Questions

I've never heard of the "pull test"! I'm scheduled for a LAVH on Monday with the chance that it'll turn into a TAH since I've never had children. I was surprised that my doctor is even considering the vaginal route and asked him about it....really, the picure in my mind wasn't sitting well, but he assured me that he wouldn't force my vagina beyond it's limits, that he wouldn't have his leg up against the wall for leverage while he pulled! Pheww!!! Perhaps he should have just explained the pull test.
As far as going back to work, I agree with the other ladies. My doctor said 2-3 weeks for LAVH and 3-4 for TAH. That doesn't seem long enough to me, but we'll see how it goes. I'm going to listen to my body and not put pressure on myself to go back before I feel ready...atleast that's my plan.
Unread 02-16-2005, 06:03 AM
TVH Questions

Ladies,

Thanks so much for all the responses, I wanted to get online quickly before I left for the castle. I'm not sure what route we will ultimately take but I do know that I will feel better soon. Take care and I'll be back online soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register