red flags about my Surgeon (Surgery 10/6 - Updated) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

red flags about my Surgeon (Surgery 10/6 - Updated) red flags about my Surgeon (Surgery 10/6 - Updated)

Unread 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Re: red flags about my Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycookiebaker View Post
You have to feel comfortable with your surgeon. You need to feel that you can trust this man with your life. Diffinately get a second or third opinion cancel your surgery if you are not 100% sure you can trust him. Its better to be safe than sorry.
Exactly right...

My OB-GYN was also my surgeon and let me tell you something: if I didn't trust him, he would never have come near me with anything resembling a scalpel. In fact, he would not be my OB-GYN.

You only have one body and the doctor only has one shot in surgery to get it right. If you are not comfortable with this doctor, I would find someone else. Good luck to you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Oh my Its sounds like there are some pretty big communication gaps between the doctor and staff. I know you want some resolution on everything you have going on, but would it be possible for you to get a second opinion? Keep us posted. Its your body and you are the one who decides what treatment you agree to. I wish you the best.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM

Jamie,

Ask yourself this one question:
If it is so hard to get questions answered now, what will it be like after surgery and you possibly have a problem that could be very serious?

Just a thought...

I know this is a really tough decision so close to the date.

SENDING YOU BEST WISHES AND BIG :hugs5:
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Let me just say something about the cystoscopy.

In laparoscopic procedures, it is now common to do a cystoscopy at the end to ensure that the ureters have not been sutured by accident, and that there is no sign of trauma to the bladder.

I do not know if some abdominal procedures might warrant a cystoscopy for the same reason.
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:38 PM

thank you ladies for all your support.

I've done some searches and some chatting with people I know in the field. He has no history of any formal disciplinary action taken against him with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, his overall on-line rating is good and from people who work with him they say he is good at what he does however they also say he has had some informal complaints about his bedside manner that may or may not be related to his cultural differences. I need to get this over and done with so I am proceeding however my husband is adamant that I keep detailed records in order to file a formal complaint after my surgery and that the hospital be given instructions that he can not see me without my husband or another staff present.
Unread 10-01-2009, 06:05 AM

I am angry for you too! You deserve better treatment.
I know it can sometimes be the staff but I think you should be 100% confident and comfortable with the doctor performing the surgery.
Also, if the staff and nurses are not competent think about this: they are partly responsible for your care. Who knows if these people are filling out your med. history, allergies, etc.. properly.
It is the doctor's responsibility to make sure you are happy and all of your questions and worries are addressed.
My doctor/surgeon is very busy yet, he calls after hours or on the weekend to answer my questions if he can't during regular hours.
That is the kind of doctor you want.
I wish you luck and my prayers and thoughts are with you.
Hang in there and get another opinion/doctor.
Unread 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM

JVL, I understand your decision. Many years ago my husband (now x) needed a knee replacment at a very young age. We met with the surgeon and DISLIKED him (I'm being nice) greatly. We then spoke to the knee surgeon who had handled all of the smaller surgeries up to that point, and told him we wanted a different doc. His asked "do you want a doctor you can socialize with or do you want the best surgeon in the field?" He offered to intercede if there were any communication issues. It worked out well. Some surgeons are not very good with people, but might be exceptional surgeons. If you feel you are getting excellent surgical care, do you have another doc who can help if things get rough?
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM

You do need to be 100% happy with your doctor. This is a MAJOR surgery & with all the things that can happen you need to be able to talk to the doctor & be sure he is doing his best.
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Medical care availability is different everywhere. Some of us are blessed to have good insurance and live within a reasonable distance from lots of excellent doctors. Not everyone has that option. It is sad, but true. I believe the creator of this thread is from Canada. Her options (or lack of) may be different. If there is a chance of cancer and she cannot get in to see anyone else in a reasonable time- that could change the playing field. As sisters I am sure we all look for OB-GYN's we can absolutely love. It is such a personal thing. Surgeons, by trade, are not always likable people. I would rather have an excellent surgeon I cant talk to than a likable one who doesnt know what they are doing. Only the patient can decide what she has has in front of her.
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM

I'm confused. You said that the surgery would not happen if there WAS cancer present, this is supposed to be the other way around....and there isn't cancer present, at this point, so I'm unsure why you are proceeding especially since he keeps trying to NOT do the surgery...perhaps I have read your stuff incorrectly...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register