could it be urethral mesh erosion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

could it be urethral mesh erosion? could it be urethral mesh erosion?

Unread 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Unhappy - could it be urethral mesh erosion? could it be urethral mesh erosion?

I am hoping for some help please. I am 12 weeks post TOT surgery and after having experienced a few initial problems, things seemed to settle down nicely after about 4 weeks. I have had 8 WONDERFUL weeks symptoms free with an active life, but have now found myself back to square 1 with 1 of the most annoying symptoms. I am back to feeling like I need to wee all the time. I was hoping that it was just another UTI but after meds the symptoms have not gone. I feel a little pain when urinating and my bladder feels sensitive all the time again.
It felt exactly like this in the first 4 weeks and I just thought it was needing time to settle. Why is it happening again? What could it be? I have read a bit about tape erosion and am worried that it could be a urethral erosion. How would I know? What are the symptoms? I really dont think I could go through the stress and worry again of thinking something has gone wrong!!!!!
Someone please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Re: could it be urethral mesh erosion?

nat37--

Have you been checked for a UTI? I know it sounds obvious, but that's always the first thing you need to check. They can happen so easily that you need to rule that out before worrying about anything else.

My 1st UroGYN told me that the bladder is a very sensitive organ and can be 'disturbed' for up to 6 months after having any type of surgery that moves it around and 'messes' with it. I was a little leery of that BUT for me, right at the 6 month point, my bladder settled down and was fine. But up until that point, I felt like I had traded stress incontinence for the urge type. It was not much fun.

Make sure you talk to your doctor and let him/her know all of the symptoms you are experiencing right now.

Often the symptoms of mesh erosion are a discharge, blood in the urine, and an almost constant pain. Those can also be symptoms of a UTI so be sure you are checked no matter what.

Let us know how things go for you....

Unread 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Unhappy - could it be urethral mesh erosion? Re: could it be urethral mesh erosion?

Thanks OrahDeb

I am being treated now with a stronger anti-biotic for a UTI but have still not had my urine results back yet so the Doc is just playing safe. I started these 2nd tablets yesterday and today the pain is excrutiating. I dont understand why I am now in pain after starting these tablets. Am I not giving the antibiotics enough time to get working? I wouldnt have thought that I could get worse once I started the medication. If this continues I think I may have to go to my A & E department tomorrow! I am just so scared that it is urethral mesh erosion. I dont have any discharge or blood, but am now in constant pain.
My doctor thinks an infection because I have been fine for 8 weeks without any symptoms whatsoever. I started feeling like this about a week ago. Would I be feeling this bad soooo qhickly if it was mesh erosion without discharge or blood?? Please help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM

nat37--

I am so sorry you are feeling so awful. Several things can make you feel terrible quickly. Erosion can happen without discharge or bleeding. So can a UTI. So can nerve pain. I am NOT a doctor and can NOT diagnose you, of course.

I'm glad you are in touch with your Dr. If the pain is truly bad, you do have the option of going in at any time
(to an emergency room or that equivalent). We all have our own thresholds of when to go in and when we 'wait it out'. We just have to know for ourselves when that is or when our doctor has advised us to go.

I hope your new med(s) start to work fast. Don't hesitate to call your doctor and let him/her know if it is intolerable for you. Sometimes I think we tend to hold back some when we talk to our doctors so we truly need to let them know when things are as awful as they really are. (At least I know I've done that in the past sometimes so I tend to think others might do the same thing.)

Praying that you find relief soon....
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks

I am now on my 4th lot of antibiotics! Went to emergency room and the gynae doc did tested a urine sample. He said there was a trace of blood and a trace of infection. I told him my concerns about the mesh erosion. He said that although it is extremely rare (is it?) it is at the back of his mind. He told me to take the antibiotics and any pain releif I need and if not better in 7 days then to ask for an urgent referal back to see my consultant. He said next step was to have a cystoscopy and see what is going on with my bladder.

He did an examination and confirmed that the scar from my TOT had healed very nicely so there is no sign of vaginal erosion, but that does not explain what is going on inside.

I have read so many women do not realise themselves that they have vaginal mesh erosion. Am I to presume that urethral or bladder erosion is much worse??How do ladies have erosion but no symptoms??
Do you know what symptoms I would be having if it were urethral erosion?
Also I thought with the TOT that it does not go near the bladder just underneath the urethra so how could the tape erode into the bladder with TOT?
Nat37
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Anybody had urethral erosion or baldder erosion??????

Can anybody give me any advice about the symptoms to look for with mesh erosion or bladder erosion??
I had TOT 13 weeks ago and after 4 weeks of initial problems, I had 8 lovely symptom free weeks.
I suddenly started with frequency again and am now experiencing lots of all over pain in my bladder and urethra. There is no blood to see or discharge. I am on my 4th lot of antibiotics with no joy
I am wondering how I would know if the mesh was eroding? It is definately not eroding vaginally as I have been checked.
I am so scared that the TOT was for nothing. I am petrified that it could be erosion, because I dont want have to go through another op and time off work again. Will I have to have the tape removed? Will I be incontinent again??
I cant bear the not knowing. I dont sleep or eat and am constantly nervous or upset or worried.
What is going on with my Bladder???????
Why cant it just settle down with the antibiotics? I get the feeling I must have been really bad in a former life to get this sort of punishment!! I am really not in a good place at the moment.
ANY ADVICE?????
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Re: Anybody had urethral erosion or baldder erosion??????

I had mesh erosion into the vagina from a posterior repair with mesh. At first the mesh was not visible by a doctor because it hid in the folds of the vagina. I had pain when the area was touched with the exam and with intercourse, and I started getting an increasing discharge. I also had pain in other areas of the vagina where the mesh was not eroding. I guess I wouldn't want to wait too long to figure this out, if I were you. Try to find a urogyne who has dealt with mesh erosion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register