Hi!! New here & very scared.... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi!!  New here & very scared.... Hi!! New here & very scared....

Unread 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi!! New here & very scared....

Hello Ladies
I am new here. My abdominal hyster is scheduled for June 22... I have had 3 c-sections, 1 natural birth, gbladder surgery...so I have had surgery ...but I am terrrified... I dont't know why... Please share how do you ladies prepare for this.. I have been praying hard and much...trusting in God, but still scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Re: Hi!! New here & very scared....

Welcome!

I have to say.... I'm scared too. So I'm guessing it's a pretty normal feeling.

But oddly... the closer I get to it, the more I just can't wait for it to be over.

Last week I was weepy & emotional. This week, I'm impatient and resolute.

I KNOW I will feel better afterwards. I KNOW it will be worth all the prep & angst.

And right now, I'm cleaning my house & trying to get everything ready for my recovery. So in the back of my mind, I'm thinking I'll get to the hospital and be ready to lay down for a while!
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Welcome Giada,
I am scared to death as well... praying a lot and worrying. I have also turned to my friends {who have been through it} for support too. My surgery is 2 June and I have my Pre-Op next week. I wish it would have been scheduled closer together instead of giving me 3 weeks to worry over and over about. I've made list after list over things to pack for the hospital.

I am here if you ever need to chat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 01:51 PM

First, take a deep breath & remember the ladies here are the best support group ever.

I got a small notebook& used it to make lists for everything... To do, hospital packing list, Dr questions, cards & phone calls from friends, & visitors.

I spent the time (1 week from Gyn visit to surgery) getting lined out with comfy clothes put so I could reach them without stretching or bending, making sure I had stuff to work on like DVD's to watch, recipes to type, & stuff like that. Keeping busy made the time go fast & keeping me too busy to fret over it.

Buy some thank you notes & stamps, maybe some cool colored ink pens, & a word puzzle book for when you want to sleep, but your mind wants to play. Some ladies do a journal, but I never could get into that.

Hope this gives you a good start.
Unread 05-19-2011, 02:55 PM

I am scared as well, mine is scheduled for Monday, May 23. I am just thinking positive, and trying not to have too much free time. My pre-op went well, and now just waiting to head to the castle!!
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Ive had 3 csections as well. The first was an emergency so I was put under, the other two I was awake with epidural/spinal. I just dont like being put out, period. I hated that the first time with a passion, and I hated the way I felt for days afterwards. I would much much rather be numbed and awake/aware. That loss of power, and lack of awareness of what is happening to me bothers me.
Dont really have any advice, just know where you are coming from!
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Hi-
I had a LAVH in Sept. 2009 and it was great. I'd never had surgery before so I was very nervous. I felt so good in the hospital that I asked the Dr. if he was sure he'd done anything. His response was, "You have bandaids don't you?". Of course the meds were helping with that "wonderful" feeling but even afterwards it was good. I had the surgery on Friday and by Sunday I was off all the heavy meds and just taking advil.

My advice, is to just relax and breathe and trust the Dr. to be careful and do a good job.
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Hello Ladies,
As you can see, I had my TAH on 04/05. I concur with everything
drafter29 wrote. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, however don't get overwhelmed with everyone's experiences because it doesn't mean it will happen to you. My surgery was successful and I haven't had any complications, other than a UTI. Some women have complications and some don't. Just write down any questions or concerns and communicate with you doctor. Focus on getting better and know that you have support here. This site really helped me before and after my surgery. I wish you all the best!
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Hi ladies!
Welcome to the site.
I understand how nervous you all are..so as your "older sister", I'm here to help!
I had an LAVH on May 10th; yep, just 9 days ago. And this is my advice to you.
1. Read as many threads about preparing for postop as you can..and from those, make a list of questions that you can ask at your pre-op clincial appointment.
2. Concentrate on getting things ready for when you come home..ie comfy clothes, meals, who's going to help out around the house, etc.
3. My comfy clothes include lots of yoga pants and boyshort undies.
4. A full length body pillow is my best sleeping aid for support if you sleep on your side.
5. Get your recovery room at home ready..ie your bedroom..fresh linens on for your arrival, lots and lots of comfy pillows, books, laptop, kleenex, lotions..anything you may need within reach to keep comfy.

by the time my surgery came around, I was ready! After being sooo nervous, it was "ok, lets do this..and not one nerve"

If you have questions, post a new thread and ask.

Please remember to take your time and recover after surgery! Don't be stubborn and think you can do everything you did before. Stairs are a no! Vacuuming is a no! Driving is a no!

and the best piece of advice came from a friend "Have faith in your surgeon"

any questions, just ask!

Good luck sisters!
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Hugs to you!!!

It will be ok. I am a 10 days out from my surgery and I am doing well.

I was terrified before my surgery as well.

Come here for support, you will get it. My doctor gave me happy pills leading up to my surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register