Full Hysterectomy op. and Obese | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Full Hysterectomy op. and Obese Full Hysterectomy op. and Obese

Unread 05-29-2002, 11:14 AM
Full Hysterectomy op. and Obese

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I will be having a full hysterectomy on June 11th. I was told it was going to be a high-risk surgery because I'm about 120lbs overweight. I'm really scared because of my extra weight.

I would just like to know if any of you, who are about to have a Hyst., are overweight and were told it might not be as easy or succesfull for the surgeon to operate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Hi Maria

Welcome to Hystersisters. Thank you for posting.

First let me assure you that you are not the first or last large and lovely lady to post. There have been many here who have also come with concerns and then been able to post that they did just fine with their surgery and recovery. You will be fine too.

Please read all the pull down menu's on the Home Page which give lot's of valuable tips for both pre and post op success.

You can also do searches using the purple search button in the upper right hand corner of this page. I did a search on obese. Here is one of many previous threads that came up.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=obese

Keep reading and posting we are here for you. If there are any other specific concerns regarding your size (or anything else) that you don't find answers too just ask. We are always here and we always have the on.

Unread 05-29-2002, 11:30 AM

Hi Maria,

I'm scheduled to have a TVH on July 18th and am also overweight - by about 80 pounds. I'm a little concerned about this too, but my DR did not indicate that this would be a problem. Hmmm... I'll definitely ask this question when I next see him.

Did your DR indicate what exactly was risky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 11:52 AM
overweight

Hello

I to am about gosh I hate to say this but 120 lbs OVERWEIGHT! I hate that word.

I am also having a TAH with possible BSO on June 11th. It sounds like we have a lot in common! My dr. did not mention anything at all to me about my surgery being risky or even anything about my weight. He just examined me and told me he could not take things vaginally but had to abdominally. I am so disgusted and on top of the surgery driving me loony, my trasmission went out on my van! I hope I don't sound too complainy but no one else will listen as good as you guys.

I hope you find out why your dr. said that, gosh I think I'm getting nervous again.
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:52 AM

So tell me, by saying you are 120 lbs overweight does that mean if you lost 120 lbs you'd be in the 'perfect weight' for your height catagory... you know those medical charts? I ask because I am 5 weeks post op and am by my own stardards 60 lbs overweight, but if I were to go by the doctors idea of perfect weight I'd be 80 lbs overweight... I have been obese since I was 3 months old... so perfect weight ain't ever going to happen.. I have however lost 130 lbs and kept it off .... I feel great and recovery went well.. I did have a minor infection but doc put me on antibotics during and after surgery...
but back to the hysterectomy.... It will be more difficult but you than a thinner woman but you must remember how skilled your surgeon is???... I came right out and asked my gyn from the start if he has much experience in operating on obese women.... he said I wasn't the largest by far and not to worry. What I will tell you is this; eat as healthy as you can, drink lots of water and move around, walking as much as possilbe before the operation... do deep breathing exercises every day to get your lungs ready for your surgery.... and when you wake up in recovery... breath deeply and slowly ... fill your lungs up ... also move those feet around... I did point and flex ankle movements the moment I woke up.... and when you get up for the first time to walk... stand up tall and straight... as though a string where in the top of your head and someone was pulling up on it.... and when you get home... get a shower chair lean back on it to expose your incision and wash your incision carefullly and completely... be especially careful to let it dry.. using a blow dryer you know the kind for your hair set on low is a good way to be sure it stays dry.
I feel great today.... but the first few days I felt like crap... you must remember that each day will get a little better.
When you get home... drink lots of water and eat right, especially protein.... lean and healthy. Maybe this can be a wake up call to healthier living.... some women lose alot of weight after their surgery, I myself lost something like 8 lbs but that was probably due to the large mass in my abdomen and my uterus which was like a 5 month pregnancy.... one last thing, just before going in for your surgery... wash you adbomen really well I know I know they do it but I felt better knowing I clean up as best as possilbe.
take good care and feel free to write.....
kara
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:00 PM

Hi ladies-

I too am a woman of size and had an SAH/BSO on 4/30 and I can say Ive had a pretty uneventful recovery. My doc NEVER mentioned that it was a high risk surgery because of my weight. Other docs I had gone to had but I do sometimes think they dont want to operate on large women for some reason or another.... just my opinion..... I want you all to know i feel much much better since I had the hyst than before and it gets better everyday!! Good luck to all the Large and Lovely pres out there!!!!

Love and hugs
Jo
Unread 05-29-2002, 01:28 PM
Hi Maria,

Welcome to Hystersisters. We're so glad you're here.

I too am a BBW (Big Beautiful Woman). By my doctor's standards, I'm about 100 pounds overweight. I'm 5'3" and SHOULD weigh 110, but have weighed much more all of my adult life. And I don't look bad for my weight. Most people guess me at much, much less because I'm very compact and solid, not soft.

Anyway, I just had surgery last Thursday, and my doctor never mentioned anything about any problems connected with my weight, and all in all, it was a very uneventful surgery, other than nausea caused by my pain meds.

My incision is at the top ridge of my apron of fat that hangs over, and it looks great. I've had no problems with cleaning it or keeping it dry and it's not red or swollen or anything.

Unless you have other medical problems such as diabetes which are connected to your weight, you probably won't have any problems. You're doctor just might want to be sure all eventualities are covered.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:30 PM

Hi, Maria321,

I'm also a woman of size. I had a TVH/BSO, and my surgery and recovery were uncomplicated and uneventful.

As a retired RN, I know that being overweight is a risk factor for surgery. Sometimes larger women heal more slowly than our thinner sisters. There may be other risks, so please ask your doctor if you have other questions.

I've read numerous posts here from BBW, and few of them have had any problems with a hysterectomy.

You're in good company, and you'll probably do just fine. Best wishes with your surgery.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 05-29-2002, 09:04 PM
Thank you

To all my hyster sisters who wrote about my questions about being obese and having a TAH, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

I did not mean to worry some of you just because my surgeon considers my surgery to be high risk. I should have been more specific on explaining that I have 15 years history of ulcerative colitis and my colon is more sensitive and weaker than an healthier person. I was told my right ovary is stuck to my colon and my uterus is completely covered with adhesions. This was due to my previous 2 ectopic pregnancies. Therefore, he considers my surgery a high risk one due to the fact that the colon could be affected.

However, after reading all of you posts, I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone. I have had such a difficult time with some doctors putting me down about my weight and not wanting to operate on me due to this....just an opinion...but I know some of them would rather not do surgery on obese people.

Nevertheless, I feel better and not alone after reading all of your posts. You brought me comfort and encouragement. Thank you for your support and kind "words of wisdom".

Big hug to you all

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register