Wished Your Gyn had had a hysterectomy ? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wished Your Gyn had had a hysterectomy ? Wished Your Gyn had had a hysterectomy ?

Unread 07-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Wished Your Gyn had had a hysterectomy ?

Just was wondering if anyone wished their gyn had had a hysterectomy, just so they'd know exactly where your coming from ?

Not that I want to wish anyone health troubles but just wondering ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Re: Wished Your Gyn had had a hyst ?

My first doc, that did the surgery, yes but thats impossible (its a he!) But one day i hope he realizes how crappy he treats people and someone else blows him off. My new dic, i think he gets it!$
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM

My gyn had a hyst, and for the same reason I did. But her body is different than mine and I have problems she never had and vice versa. It helps but it doesn't make it perfect. But then I think about cardiac surgeons. I don't think it helps if they have had a heart attack, they just need to know how to take care of their patients. Or I think about different oncologists. My mom's rad/onc has never had radiation, but he's been through it with hundreds. (my mom gave me permission to talk about her here). When I speak with him, I know he may not have experienced the burning, but he has plenty of empathy. There are some docs who just don't get it, and there are some, for whatever reasons who do. That's one important thing I look for in interviewing doctors before I hire them. If they just don't seem to understand why I'm scared and don't have time for my questions, then I just keep on looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM

I don't know how much that would help since everyone is so different. I'm at 8 weeks and back to teaching pole dancing, working out and barn work. Some others that are at 8 weeks or more are not there yet. However some at my stage are having much better sexual experiences then I am, even if they had stuff done vaginally which I did not.
Unread 07-03-2014, 03:15 PM

It probably helps for them to know what various things feel like. I had two surgeons in my room -- the one with his name above the fold was a guy (who is really great) and the other was my cousin's wife (who I adore). She's a big believer in leaving the ovaries in if there is no pressing reason to be rid of them, and she is also dealing with her own menopause at the moment. She's very level-headed and smart as hell, so I don't know if those two things are closely related, but it wouldn't surprise me if her disinclination to put a patient into surgical menopause isn't at least partly due to a personal awareness of what a PITA menopause can be to deal with.

Honestly though, I think she's just smart as hell and experienced enough to know not to mess with it if it isn't broken.
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:18 PM

I do!!
I was in recovery Tuesday & after several doses of IV pain meds it wasn't helping. The very nice man smiled & said, yeah sometimes these Dr's think oh because it's less invasive there's WAY less pain but the truth is it's still major abdominal surgery. He gave me more until finally I was comfy.
I had been on pain meds for so long leading up to surgery to control the pain it's making recovery hard but at least I know the end is insight.
Apparently my uterus had a bunch of scar tissue unrelated to c sections so my Dr believes that along with the adeno inside was causing so much pain.
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Mr Dr's very helpful and kind. I just wonder from time to time if it would be of help. All the nurses are young, but not one has mentioned having a hysterectomy. Just think it'd be helpful at times. But you can still take care of folks w/out experiencing their journey. Just wondered if it had crossed y'all's minds.

I feel bad telling these nurses my probs, especially when it's related to intimacy��. I know its their job and Drs too. You just wonder if they understand when your explaining " it hurts when he does this....." ��
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:48 PM

I just met my GYN when I was sent to him for post menopause bleeding the first of March. I have no complaints about it. He has great bedside manner. He is willing to talk and answer the questions I had many of which came from research on the internet. He was not at all intimated by my researching first (or didn't let on if he did). When I told him before the hysterectomy that I had watched a video on youtube of a robotic hysterectomy and was totally fascinated, he seemed glad to hear that. I proceeded to ask him questions I had from it and how he did it differently.

The only room available I guess was the maternity floor. The nurses were use to dealing with after baby things. Since I had no vaginal packing, no bloody pads to worry about, etc. They just mostly left me alone. I saw them when it was time to check the IV, give the pain meds (which I just let them do as prescribed because I just wanted to sleep) and come when I buzzed which was usually to: tighten the leg things or get me some of the food I had ordered before the kitchen closed out of the frig. They were really nice to me, but I was not the type of patient they were use to.

In the morning I had a new nurse that pushed me to take a shower - brought me towels, body wash, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc. which I had not brought cause I figured I would be going home first thing in the morning. It was I think about 11 when I finally got out of there.
Unread 07-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Nah. My doctor is a male, but he's still been great. He isn't insensitive about anything and I can ask him anything without him acting like I've asked the world's dumbest question. It makes me feel so sorry for the ladies whose doctors act like jerks at times.
Unread 07-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarose View Post
I feel bad telling these nurses my probs, especially when it's related to intimacy😳. I know its their job and Drs too. You just wonder if they understand when your explaining " it hurts when he does this....." 😗
You shouldn't have to tell the nurse everything, especially if it makes you uncomfortable. Simply call and leave a message for the doctor to call you back. You can always say that you have a question about intimacy, or a question about new pain that you are experiencing. The nurse doesn't have to know everything, and there's always the possiblity she won't get the message entirely correct.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register