on Lupron 6mnths-heading for hysterectomy, wondering | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

on Lupron 6mnths-heading for hysterectomy, wondering on Lupron 6mnths-heading for hysterectomy, wondering

Unread 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
on Lupron 6mnths-heading for hysterectomy, wondering

Hello all,
In January I went in for surgery for what they thought was a cyst on my ovary. I actually have extensive endometriosis that had adhered the very enlarged ovary to my colon, as well as the fallopian tube, the other tube was also encased with growths and my uterus showed signs of attaching to surrounding muscles. The surgeon removed as much as she could of the adhered ovary and tube and all of the other tube and as much of the other growths as she could.
That being said, I have now been on Lupron shots since March (to hopefully shrink the remaining growths and at least stop them from enlarging) and will be having a complete hysterectomy on October 10th- Laparoscopic, with 2 surgeons and a robot- also having a colonoscopy in a couple weeks to make sure there are no growths inside of colon.
Now my question, I have been in drug induced Menopause since March with the Hot Flashes and all and I am wondering how different regular menopause will be after surgery will be. The past 2 weeks my hot flashes have actually slowed down and been less frequent and less intense so would be awesome if I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have them for long, but I am wondering if it will all start over after the surgery. Anyone have any input?? Thanks for the help:Izzykat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Re: on Lupron 6mnths-heading for surgery, wondering

I just finished Lupron therapy and LAVH date is August 19th. I was given estradiol add back therapy for hot non stop hot flash. My gyno says menopause should be a breeze in comparison to what my body was going through. I sure as heck hope so. Estradiol therapy is an option I will take if necessary.
Unread 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Re: on Lupron 6mnths-heading for surgery, wondering

Did I mention the hot part? LOL! Estradiol was extremely helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Re: on Lupron 6mnths-heading for hysterectomy, wondering

I was on Lupron before surgery for 4 months to shrink fibroids. I do have my ovaries but they were "asleep" for 4.5 weeks following surgery. The first two were almost unbearable. Night sweats they were soaking my clothes and bed.

Hopefully that won't be your case.
Unread 08-12-2014, 03:56 AM

I still believe that Lupron is in my system or maybe my ovaries haven't awaken yet. I read that it may as long as the length of time you have taken the shot for Lupron to leave your body. I took the shot from Sept. 2013 - Mar. 2014. which is 7 months. I had my surgery at the point I was supposed to have my next 3 month shot and my doctor seemed to think that it should be out of my system. It's not the case. I'm trying to hold out until my 6 month appointment but I might not make it. I hope this isn't the case for you.
Unread 08-12-2014, 04:06 AM

I was on Lupron several years ago. 2009-10 I still had hot flashes after it "wore off" . I had TLH/BS 3 weeks ago..... still have ovaries and still having hot flashes. I'm 49 and hoping to go through a natural menopause
Unread 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Sorry it took me so long to come back and respond. I appreciate all of the feed back, I will had one ovary removed in January and the other will be removed in October so will be in surgical menopause then I believe so am wondering the difference between Lupron menopause and surgical menopause.
Unread 08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

My ovaries being "asleep" after surgery was considered surgical menopause, although temporary. It was far worse than anything ever experienced on Lupron. Again, not good news but I hope that helps and is not the case for you.
Unread 08-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Thanks, it is an answer, good or not Hopefully if it is worse it wont last long!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register