Surgeon gone for several weeks after hysterectomy on sep 28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgeon gone for several weeks after hysterectomy on sep 28 Surgeon gone for several weeks after hysterectomy on sep 28

Unread 09-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Surgeon gone for several weeks after hysterectomy on sep 28

I am having a hysterectomy on sep 28. They will decide during whether this is laparoscopic, vaginal, or abdominal.

Went for preop today. They said I have to be seen two weeks post op for an exam and biopsy results. I told them my post op had been booked for only one week after. Both nurses said that was too soon and that there would be no results and the exam would not be useful.

But when they checked into it, they found that my surgeon will be away. So suddenly one week is now okay. I feel like I'm not going to get the aftercare I need. I'm scared that I have a surgeon/group that is not going to be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Re: Surgeon gone for several weeks after

I saw the NP at 2 weeks. No exam, just chatting about recovery and an incision check.

Is that an option for you? Or possibly someone else in the group?
Unread 09-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Thank you - that is what I am trying to find out. They don't seem to be giving me any options other than seeing the dr at one week.

Thank you for letting me know what you did afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Re: Surgeon gone for several weeks after hysterectomy on sep 28

Are they going to get the results then by the one week appt? If so, I would think it would be ok. At my 2 week, all the dr did was talk about how the surgery went, review restrictions and take a look at the incision. I would think that if you can do that at one week, it will be fine. I'm sure that there's another dr that you would see in the unlikely event that something went wrong with your recovery after the week?
Unread 09-21-2015, 11:52 AM

They said they will not have the results at that appt and that it is too early to examine me. But since the dr will be away, it's all they can do.

I have a very bad feeling about the type of care I am getting
Unread 09-21-2015, 12:33 PM

Feeling the way you do, unless it is imperative to have the surgery now, you might want to consider delaying it. I would definitely want to know who will be taking your doctors patients while he is gone. Who do you call to check in with if there are problems - or something you don't understand is going on even though it might be normal? I would want to meet that doctor beforehand, maybe when you have pre-op with your surgeon.

I would be apprehensive too if my doctor was going to operate and then take off for a few weeks.
Unread 09-21-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradd View Post
They said they will not have the results at that appt and that it is too early to examine me. But since the dr will be away, it's all they can do.

I have a very bad feeling about the type of care I am getting
I think that most patients don't get examined even when the post op is at 2 weeks. My dr didn't examine me until the 6 week. She only looked at the abdominal incision.
Unread 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM

How long is your doc going to be away? Can you have your exam at four or six weeks instead?

I had my staples removed by a nurse at a local clinic at two weeks. She checked my incision and said it looked good.

I saw my doc in my surgery city at four weeks. He gave me a more thorough exam (although not a pelvic exam) and we reviewed my post-op pathology report.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register