Stitches? 13 weeks post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stitches? 13 weeks post hysterectomy Stitches? 13 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 08-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Stitches? 13 weeks post hysterectomy

It's been a little over 13 weeks since my surgery. Along with my tah, I also had a burch suspension, & anterior & posterior repair. I was told they used dissolvable stiches.About a week ago I felt something poking me. I discovered there are approximately 6-10 stiches still there deep in my vagina. I'm assuming they are where the vaginal cuff is. They are not poking me anymore, but should I assume they will still dissolve? Goggle says sometimes it takes up to 6 months. I really don't like the vision of what they will have to do to get them out. But I don't want to get an infection either from just ignorING them. What are your opinions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Re: Stiches

Hi there! I have read that sometimes stitches do stay in longer depending upon the type that your doc used. At your last post-op, did your doc indicate how long your stitches might take to dissolve? I think they should still dissolve. It is probably worth a call to your doc's office to find out how long those stitches might take to dissolve for your own peace of mind.
Unread 08-19-2016, 07:16 AM
Re: Stitches? 13 weeks post hysterectomy

I had some bleeding about 8 weeks post op which freaked me out so I called Dr's office and they wanted to see me. I was thinking granulation but what it actually was was at least one stitch way up there off to the side that was irritating the sensitive tissue around it. I'm now 3+ months post op, I don't feel it sticking me anymore and haven't had any more bleeding from it. I was just told to take it easy for another 2 weeks to try to give the stitch time to dissolve but if it continued to irritate me they would have to go in with some of those huge scissors from the OR to snip it. I was told when I went for that appt that the stitches my Dr uses are meant to dissolve between 90-180 days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Re: Stitches? 13 weeks post hysterectomy

Different stitches dissolve at different rates so I would not worry that you still have some hanging out. They will dissolve in their own time. It is also possible that as they start to dissolve, your body will expel them so if you find one on a toilet tissue after going to the bathroom, don't panic. That's all very normal!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register