Fibroid Hyster Sisters? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Fibroid Hyster Sisters? Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Unread 05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Diiiigafs,

I too am coming to terms with it after reading from the sisters here. I was in a bad place last year, but put it off. As the doc says, I can choose to live on drugs for the pain as needed or I can choose to live pain free. I'm only 38; menopause is pretty far off for me to consider living with pain. I've been blessed with four children, though three were by adoption. There's been no sign of any other pregnancies since my last myomectomy in 2004. If it will never serve it's purpose, why keep it around creating pain and havok?

Definitely look into the cervix thing. I will insist that the doc leave mine if there are adhesions making it more difficult to safely remove. Otherwise, it's out of there.

Blessings on you this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 06:53 PM
fibroids and meeting w/ Dr. today to discuss hysterectomy

Meet with my Dr. today to discuss my fibroid issues. Since my largest fibroid is causing bladder issues he recommended a laprascopic vaginal hysterectomy. He is doing an endometerial biopsy tomorrow to rule out any other issues to explain my bleeding and said it is basically in my hands whether or not to schedule the surgery. I am 36 years old and my husband and I have decided not to have children. Dr. said that the issue of whether or not to have children is what I should seriously consider and if not I should have the surgery. I think I have decided to have the surgery but want to take some time to make sure of that decision. We've been married for 12 years and have both made a conscious decision to stay on birth control all this time, so I think if we wanted kids we would have done it by now. I'm having the biopsy tomorrow and will wait for those results before scheduling the surgery. Dr. said earliest he could probably do it is mid-June. I want to have it done and be back on my feet ready to go back to work when school starts in August. I'm a teacher and I really don't want to have to take time off from work to have this done. Would prefer to take care of it while I am off for the summer. Anyway, just needed to post this as I know many of you have been faced with a similar situation. If you have I would love to hear from you.
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

I had a very large fibroid that was in the middle of my uterus taking up all the room and was causing severe bleeding. That was my main reason for having the hysterectomy. That is, until I was in the OR and the drs. discovered that I had severe endometriosis that nobody knew about. I was in the OR for 6 hours instead of the planned 2 hours because of this unexpected problem. They told me later that the endo was everywhere and the dr. asked me later on how I managed to live with the pain all these years, but the pain really wasn't that bad and I never knew I had endo until they operated on me. Everything had to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Teachers

My doctor said that summers are always booked solid because of all the teachers scheduling during break. That's why I'm shooting for June. They haven't called to set up the date yet, but I'm hoping for the first day after school is out. That way I can just get it over with and get on with life as soon as possible.

Kids are the biggest factor in not doing a hysterectomy. My doctor is hesitant to do mine knowing that we would like to have another. However, it has been three years since my last myomectomy. With my uterus full and at 14 cm, it is unlikely to happen now. If you are absolutely sure you won't regret it on that issue then just focus on the physical need for one. Are there other alternatives for your circumstances than hysterectomy that you are willing to explore? Is quality of life/health such that surgery would be warranted? Those are the things I've been wrestling with for years. We've tried all other options; this is the only one left.

I think you are wise to think it over before setting the date. You need to be the one to live with your choice, so take the time to be confident of it.
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

kdarm,
I didn't have a lot of time to plan a hysterectomy. My fibroids were found in December of 06 and because I was bleeding so much and weak and anemic, I had the hysterectomy. What they found that they hadn't planned on finding was severe endometriosis. I'm 44 but chances are I probably could never have had a child. I just always thought that painful periods were normal. The surgeons took out everything except a small piece of cervix they couldn't reach. My ovaries are gone and I'm not on HRT even though I haven't been through menopause so I have nothing left feeding the endo. Hopefully it will stay that way. I don't want any more surgeries if I can help it. I just wish there were tests that could detect this disease. I'm sure if it's caught early enough there would be treatments to prevent it from spreading and to avoid hysterectomies. I just hope the hyst has taken care of all that endo that I had. I wish you good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery. Surgery really isn't that bad. It's the soreness afterwards that is the most bothersome.

Robin
Unread 05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Robin,
Yes, I was told for years that painful periods are normal. I was flooding as a teenager and told that too was normal. I was infertile for years and still the fibroids weren't discovered. After researching on my own, I suspected fibroids. When my gyn wanted me to try clomid, I did only so they would do the ultrasound at 12 days. My gyn's partner did the ultrasound and said, "you've got several fibroids here." He is my current gyn. The RE just touched my abdomen and said, "yeah, put your hand here and you can feel them." Duh, I'd been feeling that for years. Why didn't other gyns know what they were???

I'm sorry you've had to endure endo. It is a nasty one. I half expected them to discover that when they did my first myomectomy, but fibroids were the only culprit.

I am really expecting this surgery to be much like the three previous ones, but I'll never have to do it again. I did set the date this morning...June 6th. My last day of school is June 5th.
Unread 05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

I say do not hesitate--run to the hospital and have them taken out! It was the absolute best thing I have ever done--and I am the biggest scaredy cat of all the women on this site...mainly because I allergies to a lot of preservatives/chemicals that were in a lot of the meds/anesthesia they wanted to give me. It took a lot of time for the hospital staff to find the right meds for me, but they did, my surgery went perfectly and I am 5 months out from my surgery now and feel completely back to my normal self (prior to having my 6cm fibroid, located inside my uterus, which caused transition-like labor for 2 days every time I had a period, which ended up twice a month near the end!). Uterus removed and kept ovaries and cervix. I am so happy and completely functional now! No regrets at all --except that I wish I had done it sooner! If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them for you. Good luck with your decision!
Unread 05-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Fibroid Hyster Sisters?

Ellie, where are you in MA? I live in South Hadley.
Unread 05-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Sister w/similar concerns...

Hello. I'm here for the same reason.
Just joined, for the communication & not just the reading ... I, too, need to "meet" others/ understand options & learn expectations from "hearing" stories.

A week ago, Monday, I went in for my yearly exam, which was about 2.5 yrs overdue b/c of a relocation, which is NO excuse. I've always been SO regular 4 my yrly PAP, but just let it go ... even after seeing & feeling "something's not right down there".
Over the past year, after sex & certainly during my cycle, I could feel a golf ball protrusion in my lower left abdomen (which is now nearing softball size).
I foolishly ignored it and/or was "too busy, I'll make the appointment tomorrow"... well, I can't believe I allowed over 2yrs to pass to get back to the GYN.

I was referred to a midwife from a RN-friend of mine in my new town & as I said, went last Monday. I liked her immediately, and after the exam, she wanted the MD to come exam me. He was quiet certain from the physical exam that I had fibroids. They were p.o.'d that insurance coverage wouldn't allow me to get an ultrasound while we were all there & ready ... (since I was in for a "co-pay treatment"/ maintenance, they had to book it another day).

So, I went in again this past Monday, the 30th. After a vaginal & external abdominal ultrasound, it was confirmed his original prognosis was right on... yet worse than he thought....

I've got 6. The largest one is 9.5cm x 8.5, (2) are 8.5cm x 7.5, and the other three are "normal" size, ~4cm. He said I'm "lucky" that I'm tall (5'9") & relatively 'fit', as they're more concealed (tho I see protrusion when I lie flat on my back, especially after sex) ... he said if I were shorter, I'd look over 20-months pregnant! My uterus should only be 5cm, so it's kind-of freaky to hear that ONE of the SIX is almost twice the size I should be.

How blond am I to think this recently formed tummy-pooch of my flat belly was a "thirty-something" after-effect!?!?

Anyway ... I'm barely in the 1st stages of 'realization' and research - - and happy to have found this Site, as I don't know anyone, friends or family, that have gone through a Hysterectomy... and never thought I'd be thinking about it at 35 - - if ever! And, I've never heard the word "fibroid" till a week ago ...

My MD seems on top of it, has performed 1000's, but I'm still in early research of HIM, as he & his partner would perform the surgery. I still think I want/ should get a 2nd opinion ... did u?
He was very informative on options ... but they all start w/the question of "do you want to remain fertile?". If yes: 1-option... if no: 2-options....
(I'd have more options if my big ones weren't so big, but laparoscopy/ vaginal removal aren't an option b/c of the size & #.)

I've said "no kids" for 5+ years, but now faced with it, am a little scared on the finality of the decision. My boyfriend of 3yrs recently got "fixed", and his decision didn't bother me - in fact, I was HAPPY to not have to worry about pregnancy ... so why is this so hard for me?

I'm trying to swallow the "pill" of the news, and force honesty & reality to myself of that initial question... "do u want kids?". I really think "no" - - but then I think..., what if my b/f & I break up next week and I meet "mr. right" who wants kids? <not saying my b/f isn't mr.right... just my crazy head...>
And then I have to think..., "do YOU, really WANT kids?" ... if the answer were TRULY yes, I have to also be realistic that this would need to happen w/in the next 5 yrs ... I'd have to break-up <now!>, get over that, find a great man/"Dad-2-be" ASAP <...geez...since that's SO easy!>, get married, get pregnant (assuming I am actually fertile) & ultimately have a high-risk pregnancy, both b/c of age & fibroids. It's not realistic.

So ... although I "say" I haven't made a decision, I think my decision will be to have the hysterectomy later this summer. Doc said to research/ enjoy my planned Bday trip to Panama later this month/ then come back for a Q&A... and then make a plan.

Thus why I'm on this site ... to hear/ chat/ learn/ explore all the pro's & con's of this huge decision.

Sorry to be super wordy in my introduction, but, guess that's why we're all here ... to get the thoughts out.

Have you had to take Lupron at all in the past? I'm so scared of that (which, if I wanted to remain fertile, is the option in lieu of hyster, along w/myomectomy, and still have a 99.9% chance of regrowth & continued similar treatments indefinitely). I'm too stressed & terrified I'd be a horrible monster dealing w/menopausal symptoms.

If I choose to lose fertility, then, because of the size/# of my Fibroid friends, he can't do it vaginally ... and the incision would either be belly-button to hair-line or @ the hair-line, hip2hip ... and w/the 2nd choice, would have to do lupron.

What are you doing? I think I saw you're already scheduled next for month.
Assuming it's not vaginal, have you learned anything about the scarring? (I've looked online for pix of the bbutton to hair, which is what I think I'll be doing, but not had success.)

This is all so mentally consuming ... I hope any of my thoughts help u in some way, and hope to hear back of your condition & similarities.

It's kind-of ironic that b/c of this "discovery", I've learned that my Mother has them & my oldest sister has recently learned she's got 'em bad like me ... but, w/her ... it's much more scary, b/c at the same time of learning about her Fibroid friends, she found out she's pregnant, so the fetus & the fibroids will fight for blood. I pray for her & baby....(& welcome more).

Anyway - - I could continue & continue ... my fingers can't keep up w/all the "crap" in my head right now, and it's 215am in GA, so must stop... Will hope to hear back from ya....
And if not, do wish ya the best, Aussie!

Thanks for letting me 'vent'.... mj

(a/k/a "peaches" ... per my sign-on name, along w/my only daughter, who's a 4-legged Rottie named Cleo ... nick-name "peo" b/c she's so petite - - runt of the litter - - who is unconditionally at my side & supportive.....)
Unread 05-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Lots to think about

Wow. You have lots to think about.

Just a couple of points. If you have to have abdominal surgery, it is usually done on the "bikini line" and most women heal very well. Depends on your skin type, muscle tone etc. It shouldn't be visible. It is very uncommon now a days to do a "belly button to hair" cut - that is much more radical. If you get the option to try and shrink the fibroids - you should consider it as it might make surgery easier - weigh up the pros and cons with your dr. Getting a 2nd opinion is a fantastic idea.

Re feeling silly not knowing you had them - join the club! It's a big one!! Lots of women are in it - including me. I was like your sister and found out when I was pregnant. It was a difficult pregnancy, but all turned out OK (my son is 11 now!).

Re your decision re children - depending on where your fibroids are, your fertility may be already threatened. Fibroids can make it very difficult for the embryo to attach. Additionally, you may have to have a myomectomy to remove the fibroid/s to have a successful pregnancy. You should get advice, but the reality is, your fertility is already affected - one way or the other.

They are horrible nasty things and I wish we knew why so many women get them and better ways to deal with them. They are a low priority because they are not life threatening - just quality of life threatening!

Good luck with your decision.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register