Back from the Castle ...but not a princess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from the Castle ...but not a princess Back from the Castle ...but not a princess

Unread 08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Back from the Castle ...but not a princess

I'm not sure where to begin? I feel so upset & cheeted.
The last visit I had with my surgeon, he told me after the 10 years of pain that I have been going through & the Laparoscopy that had to be ababndoned during the first operation & 4 different opinions from other surgeons, guessing it was endometriosis. Loads of scans that were inconclusive, but a large mass was found. Loads of different pills & potions to keep the pain & heavy bleeding to a minimum, he said it was finally time to have everything removed. He said that I would have a TAH & BSO. I was prepared for all of this. He talked with me at great lengths about this decision. He asked me if I had completed my family & I told him that I had & that I was completely sure about it.
He then asked me again on the day of surgery & I told him the same.
The day after surgery he came to visit me in the morning & informed me that had only drained the Cysts & cleared everything up & that I would get some type of injections every month for the next six months. He hadn't removed anything.
Am I wrong to feel upset like this? Maybe I'm being selfish? I don't know. I just feel that he lied to me.
When I told the nurse, she said that he thought I was a little young to be having everything removed & that he thought he was doing the best thing for me. But I have heard so many stories of this coming back again. The nurse said that if that was the case then the next time I would probably end up having the TAH.
I don't think I could go through all of this again.
The build up to surgery, the worry that it brings not to mention the recovery.
Maybe i'm just feeling like this because of the surgery I have just had. I'm just feeling so unhappy right now.
Or maybe I should just be thankful, I don't know.
But wanted to thank everyone for their kindness & help before surgery.
Thanks
Marie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Hi,

I am sorry you didn't have the surgery you were expecting to have, but maybe things will go well and it won't come back and you won't need another surgery.

I hope everything will go well for you and there will be nothing to be concerned about.

It is a shame about what took place, but it is done and hopefully you will be able to move on from this disappointment.

s s
Unread 08-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Oh my goodness Marie! I am soooo sorry this happened to you. I cannot imagine how I would feel if this happens to me. I have put a lot of energy into making the decisions and gearing up for the surgery (on sept 23rd). I would feel cheated and angry and upset, too. You have every right to feel unhappy about this! So, please don't be hard on yourself for feeling upset and cheated.

I hope that all goes well and you'll feel tons better with what he did do.

Marianne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2004, 10:19 PM

Where does your Dr. get off playing God, when you & he had already agreed upon what needed to be done?! Why did he even bother to consult you at all, if he was just going to do what he wanted to do anyway, somehow "knowing what was better for you" than you did? Unless there was an unexpected safety issue, there's just no excuse for what he did. <admin. snipped - no legal discussions please>
Unread 08-29-2004, 10:26 PM

Hi,

That must be quite a let down! I can't imagine going in for surgery and ending up not having it.

Did you sign a consent for him to just drain the cysts? <admin. snipped - no legal discussion please> Doctors aren't allowed to do anything other than what you consent to.

Hope you get some answers and relief soon.

s,

Lisa
Unread 08-30-2004, 04:23 AM

Typical British Consultant I understand what you are going through.
I was told I was too young at 37 & the surgeon only did a tubal on me, now at 44 I am waiting for a TAH/BSO.

Our British Dr's just love to play around with our emotions, sometimes I wish we had the options of our U.S. sisters.

I do hope that, things work out for you & that you don't need a Hyster, but if you do, this site will still be here for you.

s

Tanis
Unread 08-30-2004, 04:39 AM

Oh Marie, I'm so sorry for your disappointment. I can't imagine gearing up emotionally for the surgery and then the let down when you wake up and find it's not done. I don't think your being selfish at all. It's your body and you expected the doc to do what he said he'd do. I am a believer that everything does happen for a reason and that God is always in control, so maybe suzyQ23 is right and you may not have further complications. I'm praying for you that this is so.

Hugs galore hon,

Mich
Unread 08-30-2004, 01:10 PM

I would wait to see the pathology report. It is possible that the dr. determined that a hysterctomy wouldn't have fixed the problems you were having..... In other words, maybe he thought he saw a healthy (or fairly healthy) uterus which didn't warrant hysterectomy. In that case, you should be pleased, because whatever the problems you experienced, a hysterectomy wouldn't have helped.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong to feel as you do. It's never wrong to feel -- feelings just "are". But maybe there's something positive to come from this.

Hope something good comes out of this for you.
Unread 08-31-2004, 12:54 PM

Thanks for your support Ladies, I needed that.
I have had a few days to cool off about the whole thing. I guess for the moment I should be grateful. Only time will tell if the surgery has worked.
I'm still very sore & walking has been a problem, which I suposse has brought me down a bit, but I have good pain killers & resting has helped alot. Each day gets better.
I went back to the ward to have my stitches out (I have a 9inch incision - bikini cut) & the Ward Sister told me off because she said I had been over doing things. I learnt my lesson well & took her advice. I'm doing better now.

Tanis...you couldn't have said truer words about our consultants.
I felt totally let down. But as I said, I'm coming round to getting over the shock of not having it done. I just pray that it has worked. I have no choice now but to try & look at this in a more positive way.
Anyway thanks to everyone for your support. I will keep you all informed how things are going.
Many thanks
Marie
Unread 08-31-2004, 06:57 PM

Hi Marie Ann

Goodness, he did a nine inch incision and not even hysterectomy performed? I cant imagine how you must feel.

I hope this works out for you but like the others, it think you need to discuss with the Dr the issues about consent.

Hugs you get through this

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register