what in the world do you pack??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what in the world do you pack??? what in the world do you pack???

Unread 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
what in the world do you pack???

Hey ya'll,
I am new here. Duh! My surgery date is Dec. 18th,06. The hospital called today and gave me the run down of what NOT to take and what NOT to do but forgot to tell me what to pack for the hospital stay. Are there any suggestions??? I'm scared out of my freakin mind and I really don't need to worry about my suitcase not being ready to go. I completed all of my Christmas shopping and wrapping, decorations are up, baking has been done and put in freezer, house has been cleaned, babysitters all taken care of and now all I can do is wait. Are there any tips out there for me? HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2006, 05:54 PM

I took everything under the sun, but the only things I needed were: Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hairbrush, nightgown, underwear, robe and houseshoes. I didn't even put in my dentures or contacts while there. Chapstick is also a good idea.
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:03 PM

I packed what Rototee did , minus the underwear. It was easier to go without, especially first day after catheter was out. Chapstick was really good thing! My lips were so dry. You will also need a small pillow to hold over your incision if you are having TAH. You will need it for deep breathing, coughing, laughing, and general movement. It's also a plus on the ride home....put it between you and the seatbelt !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Honey, don't forget the lip balm! They give you medicine to dry your mouth out and that lip balm will feel so good to you.
There isnt that much you need, a nice robe and slippers to walk the halls, and a hair brush to feel "pulled together". But #1 thing, the lip balm!
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM

I agree ladies Chapstick, gum, brush, hair elastic, deoderant, comfy clothes for the ride home, extra socks because sometimes when the nurse gets you up for a walk you spring a leak. The put you in their gowns and undies because they can work around them. They also will give you a sponge bath on your back and legs and with rub you with lotion and powder, its the best.
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM

they have a wonderful thread or whatever they call it ,on this site called checkpoints it has suggestions for what to take to the hospital .
Also they have a wonderful store on this site as well, you may want to check out!
I have almost everything packed and ready to go, I havent found the Gas X strips yet, Im waiting on my swelley belly band to come in.
I want everything ready! lol Hubby has been teasing me because of what I have packed, but even if I dont need it in hospital I'll have it later!
Good luck and Take care!
Elaine
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Me being the big baby that I am took 1 big (very very large) stuffed dog, 1 small stuffed dog, a cushy penguin pillow, a cushy roll pillow, two personal pillows, and a blankie. The nurses would laugh at me saying that they couldn't find me under all the pillows and stuffed animals. I was extremely comfy though. I also baked a platter of cinnamon rolls and took in for the nurses. They came to my room and checked on me often...I only have 2 or 3 left.
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM

My must haves: a pretty robe, no-rinse face cleansing clothes so I could freshen up a little in my bed, and anti bacterial wipes. Spouse wiped down surfaces every chance she got so I would not pick up one of those nasty hospital infections.
Unread 12-13-2006, 09:09 PM

I posted this before, but I can't remember where: It is a no-no to use petroleum based lip balm while you are still on the oxygen. It can be flamable. I know it seems extreme, but they really got onto us about it. Good luck!! You'll be fine!
Unread 12-13-2006, 09:15 PM

I am scheduled december 18th also, really beginning to feel overwhelmed. dr. went from laproscopic with vaginal 3 weeks ago to now either all laproscopic or full cut across tummy. he is taking everything out. I asked nurse today when I went to hospital for last tests and to do intitial check in, if I needed anything she said no. Obviously she is not a lot of help. Dr. says only stay one or two nights, geeze.....that scares me. well I guess I need to get slippers, and lip balm. thanks for all the info and my prayers will be with you. tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register