did you see your uterus after the operation? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did you see your uterus after the operation? did you see your uterus after the operation?

Unread 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
did you see your uterus after the operation?

I don't think anyone on this thread mentioned that there is a website where you can see pretty explicit color pictures of hysterectomy procedures--it's definitely not for the squeamish.

It is at www.pelvicfloor.com just click "image library" on the left, then "yes" then pick the procedure you want to view.

For all of you who regret not getting to see your own procedure, maybe this will be the next best thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2005, 01:40 PM

I did go to that site. You are right about the pictures.......I had to keep doing the fake right eye closed.....squinting. But it is good to know pictures are out there in case you get curious. Chickypoo
Unread 07-20-2005, 03:02 PM

When my surgeon met with my husband post-surgery the first thing my surgeon said was "she did great - do you want to see the pictures?" My DH said 'sure' and it helped him to understand, seeing the various cysts and such. When I went in for my 6 week post-op I asked to see the pictures and did see them. The cool part is that the pictures were taken while the organs were still in my abdominal cavity. Now I can pretty much say I've seen it all. A picture is worth a thousand words!! However, I don't remember the recovery room at all, so wouldn't have known if my surgeon cut off my head and put it in a box beside me. I didn't wake up until I was transferred to my room, and I remember nothing (which suits me fine) about the first 4 or 5 hours post-op.

Bunny
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM

Wow! I saw the pics from my endometrial ablation when I was seeing the doc at my pre-op visit.So I didn't think anything about asking him for pics of my uterus and ovaries while I was at pre-op at the hospital. He just started laughing...He thought it was funny! I said "Please Dr. Rockwell? I have my own camera right here?" He started to walk away and said "Don't get weird on me Jennifer..." My doctor left and the people with me at the time started to laugh ,thinking it was a big joke. My husband didn't laugh..he knew for a long time that I wanted pics. But my mom,the resident and the pre-op nurse thought it was funny. I was so disappointed but laughed it off because I was embarrassed. I have tried not to think about it too much......Then I saw this thread. I cried as I read how you guys got to see the results of your surgeries. I'm crying right now. I can't stop. I told my doctor that I wanted to see where my children had lived. I have known this doc since I was 18. I was a young housewife expecting my first baby and he was a young doctor just starting his practice. I have known him forever. I never thought he would treat me this way.

I know it's not dumb to be feeling a loss after this kind of surgery but the pics might have made it a little easier.

Jennifer
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:31 PM

I guess I should just be thankful that my doctor is a skilled surgeon. I have had absolutely no problems in my recovery. I feel great physically and for the most part mentally, except for this one thing.

Jennifer
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM

Oh, Jennifer! I am so sorry that you didn't get to see pictures. I had never thought of asking before hand, my doctor just out of the blue told me husband he had taken them and offered to share! It is so sad that you didn't get to see.

My hyster has been a very positive experience, but it is still a very emotional surgery. We women identify ourselves with our femininity, and even if it is a good thing to have the hyster, we are still losing a very real part of ourselves. It is silly to think of myself as being any less feminine without my uterus, tubes and ovaries, and on one level I feel the same, but sometimes it catches me unaware and gives me a very painful jolt. And I don't even have children, as I have had problems since I was 14, with adoption not being an option until I was too old to want to do it anymore!

So I feel for you. You have lost a part of yourself, a very wonderful part that was your babies first home, and that is sad. My thoughts and prayers are with you,

Bunnyjean
Unread 07-20-2005, 05:40 PM

Thanks Bunnyjean.......I have stopped crying now. I will get over it. My doctor is retiring at the end of this month. I will be seeing another doctor for my 6 week check-up (in the same office). Maybe he will at least let me have the ablation pics.

Jennifer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register