Hysterectomy (TLH) scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy (TLH) scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else Hysterectomy (TLH) scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else

Unread 09-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Hysterectomy (TLH) scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else

I'm 36, finally diagnosed via MRI in June 2016 after a full year of pain, pressure, enlarged uterus.

I'm fairly lean at 5'7" and about 125lbs with a lower abdominal "pot" thanks to a uterus that is inflamed and pushing on my bladder. Although dealing with symptoms for a year and finding someone to take me seriously and work toward a diagnosis has been a nightmare, I am in the homestretch.

My "pot" makes me extremely self-conscious, and 80% of my beautiful wardrobe sits in my closet, covered in dust. I've bought cheap, baggier clothing to hide in while I wait to begin living my life again. I did not have typical symptoms. Periods have been regular my whole life, and only 3 days long. Clotty, but not heavy. I live off ibuprofen for the first 2 days but figured so do most women.

Anyway, by the time I got a consult with a surgeon, she wasn't even interested in messing around with small talk or my decision to remove my uterus. I've never had kids and don't want any, and I was worried she would be hesitant, but she wasn't, thank god.

She's taking my tubes and my cervix, I understand because it's technically part of the uterus and could have adeno, too. Not sure why I'm losing the tubes but I don't need them, so whatever.

I have my pre-op with surgeon on Sept 21 to ask all my Qs, but I'm impatient.
Does your mid-section really swell up post-surgery? ie, will my pot get worse before it disappears? How long does it take for the swelling to go down?

I'm getting a TLH because I've never had children so she said TVH wasn't an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Re: TLH scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else

Hi and welcome,

I had huge twisted fibroids that were pressing on my bladder - as well as an enlarged uterus. I was thin at that time so I definitely noticed a pudge pot. After surgery, it was a different type of swelling. The good news was my fibroids were no longer pressing on my bladder so that was a great relief.
But I did get "Swelly Belly". If you do a search here on our site, you will find numerous threads on this topic. I myself asked how long it would last when I was first recovering. Mine lasted several months but others are far luckier and report their bellies go down in weeks.

Just try to keep in mind all the positives of surgery. At least your belly will gradually go down in time after your hysterectomy. We all heal differently so it's hard to predict. Plan on comfy loose fitting outfits for a while.

Hugs and best of luck on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 09-06-2016, 01:31 PM

Marciamae gave you the same summary I would have. When I had Ol' Lumpy removed, several issues disappeared with it aside from the irregular heavy bleeding - bladder leaking, loose bowels, and a paunch. Here I though I was just getting old and decrepit !

The surgical swelling was different than the paunch, more like what you'd encounter with inflammation surrounding an injury, see Tummy Care - Swelly Belly. I wore expando-waist clothes for about 5-6 weeks, and then began returning to below-the-waist fixed bands. My doc said I should start noticing a real difference at 8 weeks and I did, though I still dealt with swelly belly whenever I'd overdo it or do something active for the first time post-op. Definitely not daily, and it'd mainly hit me in the evening. Last time it happened... was last week, 15 weeks post op! (Blame hoisting a 24-pack of sodas high on a shelf - that'll teach me.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Hi Hennessey80 -

I had a bulge with my abdomen caused by a very large complex ovarian cyst (12x9x11 cm) that was pushing everything around and out. I also had numerous uterine fibroids that just added to bulge. Everything was removed, and once my swelly belly went down from the surgery, my stomach was much better.

They are removing your tubes but leaving your ovaries because current thinking is that ovarian cancer starts in the tubes.

Unread 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Re: Hysterectomy (TLH) scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else

I am having surgery for the same reason and struggled to have a gyn believe me when I was struggling. After a year of issues, an ultrasound showing adnomyosis, and no answers, I changed to my former gyn (only switched due to insurance change) and she immediately helped me. Within a year of seeing my new gyn, doing a course of Lupron, we found that adnomyosis must be it and this evil body part that is hurting me can be removed.

I too look forward to getting to wear many clothes in my closet that have just been hanging there. We will get there! My surgery is Oct 17th, just a few days before yours.

-Lisa
Unread 09-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Re: Hysterectomy (TLH) scheduled Oct 20 for adenomyosis - scared like everyone else

I had a Davinci hysterectomy due to adenomyosis, and while they were in there my doctor found tons of bowel adhesions that were most likely helping my "belly" due to poor digestion and inflammation. Like mentioned above, the post surgery swelling is a little different, and more pronounced after a day of activity, but according to my DH my shape has definitely changed and I look less "pouncy" than before. I'm looking forward to getting cleared for abdominal exercises--before I would do those and nothing would change probably due to my uterus and my adhesions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register