I have lots of questions about no HRT--Please Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have lots of questions about no HRT--Please Help! I have lots of questions about no HRT--Please Help!

Unread 02-11-2006, 10:45 PM
I have lots of questions about no HRT--Please Help!

Hello to everyone! My name is Denise and I had my hysterectomy in November og 2005 and I hope you all can help me. I desided not to do the hormone replacements is that okay? I am doing very well so far a hot flash now and then but okay. I do have the dryness and when we use the jelly for that part it burns inside when we are having intercorse. Also my skin is so dry and I am getting ache again. I am taking the extra calcium that the doctor told me to take. Is all of this normal and am I doing the right thing by not taking the hormone replacments? Is it okay for my health if I don't take them? Please hlep me!
Thank you
Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2006, 05:36 AM

I had a TAH on Dec 20 with removal of ovaries. I, too, have elected not to use HRT. Only you can make that personal decision. I had a long talk with my doctor about it and we decided together that I should try things naturally. Currently, I am taking Vitamin E, Evening Prim Rose Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Estroven and using Arbonne's Phyto Prolief. I have very few hot flashes and no mood swings. The worst is the night sweats and I'm working through those. Actually, last night was my best night yet! I have found that alcohol really increases the night sweats. I had a beer at dinner two different nights last week and my insomnia and night sweats were really bad. While I like my beer, I like a good night's sleep even better!!! Good Luck!
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:18 AM

Hi Nicolerebecca

I am not on HRT due to my cancer, so I at least understand your symptoms. As to whether it's good for your health is a subject with many opinions from many sources. You may want to visit our No-Hormone Desert Oasis for lots of personal input from women not taking HRT.

As for the vaginal dryness, that can be caused by the loss of hormones. I would first of all suggest you try a different jelly for intercourse if the one you're using causes burning - you may be sensistive to the ingredients. I also use a "long-term" personal moisturiser called RePlens every 3 to 5 days and it has helped me with chronic dryness and irritation. Some sisters also use the Personal Moisturiser advertised on this site. Another option to discuss with your doctor could be a hormone vaginal cream. It apparently doesn't enter the bloodstream and some sisters love how it works.

My doctor also prescribed extra calcium to help combat osteoporosis and I have a bone scan done every 2 years. The citrate is easier to digest and combining it with magnesium and Vit D help its absorption.

Dry skin? Try using creams for "mature" skin and keep drinking lots of water.

Best wishes, big s and happy hunting at the Oasis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Hi Nicolerebecca!

I'm trying to go HRT Free due to endo and a deep seated fear of having it return.
At 42 it might be a little early for me to be without hormones but I haven't been having too many hot flashes. Dh even says he thinks my moods have been a lot more stable since surgery. The fact that I didn't feel like slugging him for saying such a thing attests to that I guess.

I have been taking Omega-3 and extra calcium along with my daily vitamin supplement. Lately I'm suffering some extreme lower back pain but my doctor doesn't think it's related to the hormones. We're investigating the cause further.

My skin has always been extra dry in the winter so I'll have to wait for summer to see if there's any real difference there. I have found that Curel works pretty well lately.

It is a personal choice, and I may decide to try HRT if I don't start feeling better soon, but for now I can cope.

Best Wishes!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register