Scheduled TAH Afraid and needing support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Afraid and needing support Afraid and needing support

Unread 07-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Afraid and needing support

Hi everyone!

This whole thing of hysterectomy is pretty new and stunning! I met with my surgeon on Monday and was told that a vaginal hyster had turned into a TAH-BSO because of a growing and suspicious cyst on the left ovary. Surgery will be on Aug 6 and they will do a frozen section during the surgery and proceed with the rest. Trying to grapple with the surgery is enough but the lingering concern about the cyst/tumor is another thing. I'm getting virtually no 3D support and would appreciate some kind and educated words. Alot of grief right now and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks for listening, dear sisters!
baltchick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Re: Afraid and needing support

Hugs to you baltchick,

Although I have no input for your on your condition, just know that there's others in your corner, praying for you and wishing you the best.

Lumpygus
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:27 AM

Hang in there, the waiting part of the hysterectomy surgery is the toughest. I found that the checkpoints were very helpful as well. The hystersisters are a wonderful support system. to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Hey, Chick, everyone is right, waiting is the worst. Getting through it and actually facing it somehow is easier. These are good people here, dear syster, and don't be afraid to use them as a wonderful resource. I have found much comfort as the notion of TAH was soooo scary to me. I went to my doctor with the thought I would have an embolism thingie to shrink my fibroid, and left in tears as he said to me, Let's just do it all at once. But the wisest thing that doctor said to me was, you're a scientist, do some research.

That's when I found these wonderful people.

Take heart, dear syster, and know you are not alone, not the only one afraid, not the only one hurting, and trust me, they will respond to the most obscure questions posed.

Hugs to you, and courage, mon brave.
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks Y'all!

I appreciate so much the kind words, particularly about the waiting game--have been about waiting for a couple of months with all the testing and probing.

With all the support of my sisters here, well, it just feels better now!

We are family!
baltchick
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM

Spend your waiting time preparing. That will keep you sane during these trying times. Prepare some meals ahead of time because you won't feel like cooking for a couple of weeks, buy yourself some new pj's, pack an overnight bag for the hospital (that is if your spending anytime there), buy some books/magazines to keep you busy at the hospital. I was so busy preparing for my stay at the castle that the time just flew by and I didn't have time to stop and think bad thoughts. I also prepared my house. Cleaned like mad. Washed my bed sheets, cleaned every inch of my bedroom, set up a "sick bay" bedside with everything I would need within easy reach when DH went back to work. Made sure there was enough food in the house for others as I do the grocery shopping. The list is endless and should be enough to keep you busy and your mind off of it
Unread 07-23-2009, 01:04 AM

I don't know how long you have to prepare, but preparing emotionally can be really helpful too. I did a lot of work prior to my surgery in terms of getting in touch with my grief over losing parts of me that I was rather attached to emotionally. I met with therapists, did "saying goodbye" rituals with friends, and just generally got as ready as I could to let go of my uterus, ovaries, tubes, and cervix.

I don't know if that's something that would be helpful for you or not, but I figured I'd put it out there.

I'll be praying that all goes well with your surgery, and that the suspicious parts turn out to be benign.

Good luck to you. Hope we can provide comfort for you.

Big
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:57 AM

Hi Y'all!

Thanks again for the input and especially for the hugs! Very much appreciated!

I will begin some Mindfulness meditation exercises today to help "stay present" for the next two weeks. My therapist has recommended a book for some additional quiet preparation.

I am a nun and live in a monastery so am in the enviable position of not needing to do a lot of house cleaning other than my usual chores and I will come home after the hospital to an infirmary room.

Every day I pray that all our sisters will be able to take the time they need to rest and recover, to acknowledge what's been gained and grieve what's been lost.

See ya later,
baltchick
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Afraid and needing support

baltchick, I'm sorry to hear that things are so stressful right now. I just wanted to let you know that I just had a TAH/BSO two days ago and it wasn't that bad. I am still sore but can get in and out of bed myself, walk around the hospital floor, ang go to the bathroom myself. For me waiting was the worse part. Best of luck with everything. *HUGS*
Unread 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM

There's a really great CD called Successful Surgery by Belleruth Naperstek that I really enjoyed listening to as preparation for my surgery. It has guided imagery that walks you through the surgery and also affirmations for healing. My doctor let me take my iPod into the operating room and listen to it during the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register