I don't know what to do! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't know what to do! I don't know what to do!

Unread 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Re: I don't know what to do!

Umbalala did the Dr check your hemoglobin? You might want to ask if you need to take iron supplements. My hemoglobin was 7 before I got the Lupron shots and I continued to take iron supplements until about a month before my surgery (it was up to 15). Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing. Prayers to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbalala View Post
The hospital said all my vitals are normal..

I hate to tell you this, but this is an urgent situation. Bleeding for 2 months straight with no break is not tolerable, and can bring your iron down so low you can have a heart attack or pass out. I don't understand when you said the hospital "said" your vitals were normal. Did you go to the ER? Because if you did, they would not just take your vitals, they would draw your blood and determine your hemoglobin. If your hemoglobin was too low, they wouldn't let you leave unless you left AMA (Against Medical Advice).

I just had a hysterectomy 8 days ago. They gave me a bag of blood during the operation. I already had a blood transfusion in august, and then had hemorrhaged. I fell from a 8.5 hemogloben to a 5.5 hemogloben in just a couple of weeks, if you can believe that. At 5.5 a person shouldn't even be walking around, that's considered a critical state.

It goes without saying that my hysterectomy timetable was moved up, drastically, because of my anemia. A doctor can do that for any patient, if needed, and that includes yourself, unless there is a reason you have to wait until January.

They can literally do your hysterectomy tomorrow, if need be. If you must wait until January, then there are some actions you need to take. Number one, call your doctor and tell him exactly what you have done so far. He will direct you to either go to the ER, or come in for a blood draw, etc to find out what your hemoglobin is. If it is at a safe level, then you need to immediately start taking iron supplements, I recommend Feosol 65 mg. (These supplements are NOT found in health food stores due to iron being government regulated. Only drug stores are permitted to carry that dosage.) Your doctor can have you come in to get a shot, or series of (3 I think) shots to stop your period.

Please let us know how it turns out.
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Hi Umbalala,

I know too well what you are going through. Eariler this year, I was diagnosed with anemia and I found out that it was from heavy periods. I've had them off and on for years, but since I got into my forties, it got worse. It was going from one extreme to another. For nearly one year, I wasn't having my period. Within the past year, they were very heavy. In fact, I had to stay home from work one day because it was so bad. I was going through pads like water. It scared me. When it was discovered my periods were like that, my gyn had me get a DNC done. When I got the results from my doctor, she told me that I had a condition called hyperplasia. There are four types of that condition and that I had the worst one which had a 25% chance of developing cancer. There was no other option but to have a hysterectomy. Never having children, it was a blow to me and I regretted not seeing a gyn earlier in my life. I never went to one because I've never had sex. That's right, I'm a virgin. An over forty virgin. I've missed out on a lot. I hope that it is not the same case for you. My gyn said that I would be happier now that I had this done, but I still can't help but feel empty sometimes. Well, I'm dealing with it and this website has been very helpful and I can see it is for you as well. I just wanted to let you know about my experience and I hope maybe that I could help you somehow. Take care and I hope all goes well for you.

Kasey1210
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2010, 03:52 AM

They have taken blood samples from me plenty of times... i been in and out of the ER 'at least' 6 times since May. Last time I went was because my vision blacked out from the sides of my eyes then came right back. I constantly call the nurse line for my hospital and tell them any new symptoms and they always tell me to go in for safety reasons. I had a D&C done in July and was determined to have no cancer cells and they thought that might stop the bleeding but it didnt. I also had the depo shot in August to stop bleeding but that didnt work neither. In September my Dr put me on Premarin and also Estrogen but that didnt stop it neither. Originally my dr told me in June that I had a 5cm cyst because besides the bleeding I had alot of abdominal pain on my left side. My dr informed me in August that the cyst just disappeared...??? My left tube is swollen a couple inches where I had my tubes tied 22 years ago. All I know is I am tired ALOT and not myself. The reason I have to wait until January to get my Hysterectomy is because of my DR.s schedule... they say thats the soonest I can get in. Personally, its very scary to be bleeding this long... today is day #59! According to what I understand (because I am not to smart on this sort of thing) they tell me my vitals are fine... blood pressure, temp...etc... and they say my bloodwork is fine & I am not anemic. I do not know my hemoglobin number... I never thought to ask and they didnt mention it. I am new with this and I need to know what to ask about. All I do know is all of you are educating me and making me realize what I do need to know.
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:23 AM

Umbalala,

You most definitely are not alone.

My longest bleed stretch lasted 4 straight months. The worst part besides nausea, vomiting, clots and heavy bleeding, was the chaffing from wearing so many pads. I had blisters on the inside creases of my theighs.

I've waited years for my doctor to prescribe this hysterectomy, but because I am only 35, and have never had children, they wanted me on a roller coaster ride of birth control methods first.

This has been my two years of torture finally coming to an end in a few weeks.

I bled through depo, 5 bc pills a day, anything they threw at me, I bled on through it like I had been popping Skittles.
Yeah, I was NOT tasting any rainbows.

two weeks ago I had a 3.5 mm cyst on my right ovary, and because it was my right side, they feared appendicitis.

They do disappear sometimes. We'd rather them disappear than rupture.

My bloodwork during those 4 straight bleeding months came out fine as well, no anemia. Our bodies sometimes compensates for the heavy bleeding somehow. We survive, and we come here to tell the tale.

Hang in there, do what the seasoned ladies here tell you, keep your doctor informed, and my advice is, when the pain and bleeding gets to be just too much, go in the ER so they can make you more comfortable.

I've been bleeding 14 on this run, and I will most likely bleed heavy right up to my surgery.

Sending you good energy, and I hope it stops for you very soon. You need a little breather here. Hugs.
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:38 AM

Umbalala, thank you for explaining a little more about your situation. Your first post said you were bleeding heavily, scared, losing weight, in pain from a swollen tube, and surgery was way into January. Posters like Paperdahl and myself advised you that yes, you actually can reach a critical point if you bleed enough. I also advised you that it is very possible to move up your surgery date. That is the advice I give you again today.

At my surgical consult October 14th, I found out my surgeon had surgeries booked up to the middle of November, and by the time I saw her would probably be scheduled in December. But after seeing my records and examining me, she said we’re doing this next week. (So what happened to being so booked up?). I saw a hematologist, and he told me the same thing. He said, you know I don’t see any other complications from your anemia other than the fact that you have fibroids and cysts, and your hysterectomy would resolve that – we can get you checked in and do it tomorrow. In addition, last time I was in the hospital for a transfusion in August, I had to fight with them to leave, because they wanted to keep me a couple more days to do a hysterectomy. I literally had to fight with them. So that is why I’m telling you this can be done sooner, not in January.

Now back to you. You said last time you went to the ER your vision was blacking out, and you are fatigued (no date). That could be a sign of anemia, yet you reported you are not anemic. If so, then there may be no anemia due to the hormone pills slowing your bleeding enough. However you said it is now getting heavier. I can tell you from experience, we all have a reserve of iron and when that’s depleted you’re basically living off of the iron in the foods you eat every day to survive. That’s why, depending on how much blood we’re losing, doctors will put us on iron pills. I’m surprised the ER doctors didn’t just admit you, then things would be moving along.

Keep in mind one other thing: The body changes. You apparently had scans and procedures in June and July, and you mention no ultrasounds or ct scans since. This is October. Then you’re looking at January. From July to January a lot can change.

This is just my opinion, but with your symptoms, history, and current pain and bleeding and swollen fallopian tube, if it was me, I would find another doctor for a second opinion, and for someone to be more responsive. It would be one thing if the doctor determined you didn’t need an operation, but it was determined, so that is a concern.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Thankyou all for your responses, yes I did have 2 ultrasounds... one in June and one in August. In June is when they told me I did not have any cancerous cells, they were checking me for uterine cancer and also looking into the left side abdominal pain and they found the left tube swollen and a cyst that was 4cm. In August the did another ultrasound to check the cyst and said it was 5cm so my DR did a D&C and said if need be he would remove the cyst also but afterwards informed me at my follow up that the cyst was gone. Bleeding continued though. I actually just feel like going in to the ER and saying Im not leaving until I get my hysterectomy to end this nightmare! The date Ii went last to the ER when my vision was messing up was Oct 4th. They just drew blood and gave me an IV bag and said I may have dehydrated a little. This is supposed to be a great hospital and my DR.s are the best in that hospital. My regular GYN did refer me to another DR in their practice for a second opinion and hes the one who does the surgery.
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM

I vote for going to the ER and demanding to be admitted to have the hysterectomy done ASAP. That seems excessive. Honestly, if mine had continued that way, I would have been in the ER and I would have demanded they find a surgeon who can do the surgery immediately.
Unread 10-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Umbalala:

Thanks again for the update. Yes, being dehydrated can make you feel like passing out. I don't know why, but I too was chronically dehydrated and low in iron from my bleeding. Keep drinking, (gatorade is good), and keep eating iron rich foods.

Hormones pills can certainly help with cysts so it's not surprising they didn't find one on the last scan. Still, from what I understand, your last scan was in August. That's 2-3 mos ago. You could have another cyst, or your fallopian tube problem is exacerbated.

To summarize the dates:
Your last scan was 2 mos ago at best.
Your last blood draw was almost 1 mo ago.

IMO, right now, it's difficult for you to be confident in the status of your fallopian tube, any cysts, and your iron level. What you do know is that you're in pain, weak, bleeding, and no end in sight. So please think about the best options for yourself. I don't want to see you end up in the ER again in another week. Or, maybe at that point, the ER doc will admit you and this whole ordeal will be over.

As far as the second opinion thing, only going outside the practice is really a second opinion. At this point, what do you have to lose, you're on a waiting game anyway, I would see another doc. Otherwise, get in the car and go to your old doctor's office, tell them you don't have an appointment but you're in pain and unhappy about this and you want something done.

((hugs))

Unread 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW1973 View Post
I vote for going to the ER and demanding to be admitted to have the hysterectomy done ASAP. That seems excessive. Honestly, if mine had continued that way, I would have been in the ER and I would have demanded they find a surgeon who can do the surgery immediately.
Honestly, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If she showed up at an ER, clutching her side and in pain, even if she had to exaggerate it a bit, they would HAVE to do an ultrasound and see what the heck is going on, and they would draw her blood too. So at the very least, for the price of an ER co-payment, she'd have a lot of stuff done and know more about what's going on. And who knows, at that point they may could even admit her.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register