menopause vs hysterectomy-any chance? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

menopause vs hysterectomy-any chance? menopause vs hysterectomy-any chance?

Unread 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
menopause vs hysterectomy-any chance?

I've been in perimenopause for about three years. In the past 10 months I developed menorrhagia due to submucousal fibroids and a polyp. After a D & C, a transfusion, a hysteroscopic procedure which removed my polyp and some shaving of my fibroids, I was in high hopes I'd enter memopause before needing a hysterectomy. I also went through two Drs. before I could find one I could talk to and would be supportive of my needs.

Well, menopause hasn't happened and my bleeding is back with anemia and daily iron supplements. I finally have given up and scheduled a TVH, if possible, since the quality of my life has certainly gone down hill. Has anyone been lucky enough to beat this problem and avoid a hysterectomy? I feel like I've lost a battle even though I think I've tried all my options.

This web site is wonderful!! So full of helpful information and personal support. Thanks for being here!

Shel Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 06:43 PM
The problem with polyps

is they can remove them via hysteroscopy and more grow in there place. Been there, been under twice for polyps. As you know, perimenopause can drag on for years, so you know that it might mean additional surgery or surgeries to maintain the polyp and fibroid situation. And perimenopause can cause strange hormonal fluctuations that actually feed these growths.

I did a myomectomy 11 months before my hyster, five to six fibroids removed but when they took my ute to pathology, I had a whole new crop of fibroids. Yes, they can grow that fast.

I did get 11 more months with a uterus, but in retrospect, I wish I had proceeded with the hysterectomy in 2001 and just got the silly thing out of the way. Surgeon talked me into the myomectomy instead, big mistake.

I agree just looking at the history you have provided, alternatives are going to be less than optimal. You already figured that out.
Unread 01-28-2003, 08:02 PM
menopause vs hysterectomy-any chance?

I wasn't perimenopausal, but I did have fibroids and a history of polyps. I had a D&C to remove a polyp in 1984, then had no problems until 1998. That time the DR was able to remove the polyp in the office. He also found the fibroids and sent me to a GYN. The GYN put me on Provera to control the bleeding. It did it's job for about 3 1/2 years, then the bleeding came back and there was no stopping it, even taking the provera non stop. When the fibroids were first diagnosed my uterus was about the size of a 6 week pregnancy - 3 1/2 years later it was up to 16-18 weeks.

Pathology showed there was another polyp, too, along with the fibroids. Also showed multi cysts on both ovaries.

Though you didn't mention it I'm assuming you've tried hormone therapies (BCP's) to try to control the bleeding?

Have you checked out Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives? Possibly one of the ladies there can help you out.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register