A bit nutty anyway | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A bit nutty anyway A bit nutty anyway

Unread 08-28-2005, 06:31 PM
A bit nutty anyway

I have looked and looked, maybe I am just not looking in the right place? But, I have from as long as I can remember struggled so so much with "nutty-ness" (understatement) everytime it has been my "left-sides" turn. Even been hospitalized for depression. I begged the Dr to leave me my right ovary if it was healthy, for some hormones. But honestly, I am worried. Has anyone had better results after their hyst...or HFB...worse? Very embarrassing to ask...but I haven't found much-really any information about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
A bit nutty anyway

Hi:

I live near Lubbock which is about 3 hours away from Abilene. I am not sure if what I have to say will be of much help but I will try. I had a hyst on May 20 for alot of reasons. One of them was alot of hormonal problems; I also had really bad depression and had mood swings that were so erratic that daily life was unbearable at times.

I went to my doctor with these problems and asked if I should take my ovaries out. He thought that the hormones that the produced would still give me problems even after I had a hyst if I kept them in. So, I decided to have both ovaries taken out because I just couldn't see going through the hormonal rollercoaster I was on for the rest of my life.

I can honestly say that it was the best thing that I did. I am on HRT and am as happy as I can be. I don't have the hormonal craziness that I had prior to my surgery. Everything is stable and I feel so much better. I really didn't realize how bad I felt prior to surgery until after I started feeling better after surgery.

I can say that having my hyst was the best thing I ever did for my physical and mental well being. I am so much happier now, not nearly as moody, and actually have energy for the first time in years. My marriage is better and so is my relationship with my daughter.

Have you considered removing both of your ovaries during the surgery? Are the hormones that they are producing responsible for your debilitating depression?

By no means am I telling you what to do when it comes to removing your ovaries; that is such a totally personal decision that only you can make for yourself. I am merely asking you to consider the options available to you and wishing you the best.

I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery and know that life can only get better for you after it is all over.

Good Luck,
Mustang30
Unread 08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
A bit nutty anyway

Bless you Mustang30...truly, bless you for your reply. I am in Lubbock a lot, I just empty nested my youngest son there for college! Great shopping!

Back to the issue tho, I have suffered from emotional problems and mood-swings since puberty. Mostly, if not all from my "left side". I am on a lot of medication, that I feel I could bet the farm I could get off if I didn't have my left ovary. However, I have been petrified that it could go the complete opposite and I could be worse. The reason we want the right ovary is so I won't have to have HRT and I have never had a problem with it...for some reason? How are the HRT's working for you? I am ultimately leaving the decision up to my Dr. if he thinks that the ovary is healthy to keep it. We do know the left one is swallowed up in scar tissue/adhesions even about my bowel area.

I just am so afraid to be worse. I, couldn't stand it if I were. It is too much, this is a last resort nearly.

You have given me a lot of great information and a lot of hope. I go in Wednesday August 31 for my pre-op and I will definitely talk to him some more about this. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Like I said ...you helped more than you know. Telling your story, giving hope, is a great gift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2005, 10:23 AM
A bit nutty anyway

I will keep you in my prayers, I really will. I know what a tough time you are having because I have experienced all of the hormonal stuff myself. I am doing great on HRT and haven't had any of the hormonal problems I have had prior to surgery since I have been on it.

I do hope that whatever you decide about your ovaries that you will be better. Having my hyst was a last result for me but I don't regret it, not ever.

I know you are nervous and that you have tons of unanswered questions and fears about what it will be like after surgery or how the surgery itself will go. But I promise you it will all work out okay. I was as scared as could be before my surgery but God took care of me and made sure everything was okay.

So please try and not worry too much and realize that it will all work out for the best. It is normal to be scared but waiting is truly the worst part and after it is all said and done you won't regret your decision to have the surgery.

If you need to PM me or want to write anytime, please feel free. Good luck.

Praying for you,
Mustang30

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register