Need Advice --Hyster or no | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Advice --Hyster or no Need Advice --Hyster or no

Unread 05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Need Advice --Hyster or no

Hi, I'm brand new to hystersisters and so glad that I found this site. A large mass (16x17.5cm) was found in my abdomen on Thurs, obscuring my left ovary. I'm having surgery on Tuesday to remove the mass including my ovary. If it is benign, I have the choice whether or not to have a hysterectomy or not. (if cancer they will do a full)

What do you think I should do? Any other recommendations, eg retain cervix, HRT, etc.

I'm 49 and have not started menopause yet.

Thanks for any advice/insights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Re: Need Advice --Hyster or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPATTY View Post
Hi, I'm brand new to hystersisters and so glad that I found this site. A large mass (16x17.5cm) was found in my abdomen on Thurs, obscuring my left ovary. I'm having surgery on Tuesday to remove the mass including my ovary. If it is benign, I have the choice whether or not to have a hysterectomy or not. (if cancer they will do a full)

What do you think I should do? Any other recommendations, eg retain cervix, HRT, etc.

I'm 49 and have not started menopause yet.

Thanks for any advice/insights!
Expatty-
I also had an ovarian cyst at 12 x 9 x 11 cm also on my left ovary found during my annual exam in April with my GP. My OB/GYN ONC surgeon stated that at my age (I am 46, not in menopause either but cycles are getting shorter and less predictable) that he strongly recommended a hysterectomy. He said I am close to menopause with the average age being 51 for USA women. In addition, he said my right ovary would probably do the same thing within 5 years. I cried after I got in the car from the visit, but decided to follow his advice. Had my TAH (lost my cervix) on May 17, and just got home on Friday. My tumor was benign, thank god, just large. I am still recovering from surgery - a long process.

It is a tough decision to have a hyster, but what sealed it for me was my age - he told me if I was younger (e.g. 36) he would try and save as much as he could. His advice was that at my age not doing a TAH was riskier in the long run than doing a TAH now.

I will do ERT if necessary, but seeing what my body and mind needs first.

Hope this helps. You have come to the right site for understanding. I have found much healing here.

You need to make a decision that is right for you. I hope all is cancer free.
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM

expatty

It sounds like you are taking the right approach of conservative if no cancer is found.

The question I have is whether you will minimally have an oncologist present at the surgery. If cancer is suspected or known the best situation is to have a gyn-oncologist do the surgery but if that isn't possible having an oncologist there is the next best.

We are here for you

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2011, 04:45 PM

I'm 46 and am 2 weeks post-op. I've had non-cancerous cysts removed from my ovaries in the past, but now my fibroids had grown significantly and it was just time. I had them take the cervix too so I don't have to worry about cervical cancer (plus no more pap smears!). I kept my ovaries (my choice). If you can keep one so you don't have to deal with hormones, that would be good, but if not, it is still worth it. Everyone I talked to before I had mine done said they didn't regret it. I wish you the best - good luck!
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM

My GYN oncologist surgeon told me that even though I will not have my cervix that pap smears were still recommended to screen the top of the vagina for cancer. I would talk to your doc first before deciding not to do pap smears.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register