Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy? Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy?

Unread 08-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy?

Hi! I had a vaginal hysterectomy 5 days ago (plus removed 2 fibroids) and will be out of pain meds in 2 days. My Dr. said to use over the counter motrin afterwards. Currently, I still feel like I need the prescription pain meds. Are my pain levels similar to what you experienced or should I be concerned about my pain levels and go see the Dr? My pain is mainly in my lower left abdomen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Re: Pain Management?

Hello there and !

Everyone is going to heal differently. That being said pain management is much the same. During my healing process, I discovered I had a high tolerance for pain and didn't need to take much. However, other sisters experience various levels of discomfort and pain which should not be ignored nor suffered through needlessly. Definately call your doctor if you have any questions and take them when you need to.

Also ice your tummy/lower abdomen as much as you can or even use a heating pad if that might help.

I have included this article to read as you are resting:
How Long Will the Pain Last after Hysterectomy?

One day/week at a time sister!
*hugs*
Unread 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Re: Pain Management?

I was still using my prescription (Percocet), alternating with the 800 mg Motrin, until I was on day 6 post op. Then I was tired of the drowsiness from the Percocet and just switched to Motrin, alternating with regular Tylenol per the dosage instructions. My pain was, I'd say, on a scale of 1-10, at a 2 or 3, which is tolerable for me. I tend to have a high pain tolerance, though. My pain was concentrated in my lower right abdomen, where my ovary was removed (it was all twisted around with scar tissue, so a more difficult removal than expected). If your fibroids were on the left, or if the surgeon had to concentrate on that area, it may be more tender than the rest of your abdomen.

If, when you are near the end of your Rx, the pain is keeping you from resting comfortably or sleeping, call your doctor. They may write you another script. However, be aware you won't be cleared for driving until you're not on narcotics any more.

Take heart! I felt when I was at day 5 that I was going to be taking pills forever. But the pain got much more manageable and now I only take Motrin (OTC strength) if I've had a more active day than usual for post op. It does get better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsister View Post
Hi! I had a vaginal hysterectomy 5 days ago (plus removed 2 fibroids) and will be out of pain meds in 2 days. My Dr. said to use over the counter motrin afterwards. Currently, I still feel like I need the prescription pain meds. Are my pain levels similar to what you experienced or should I be concerned about my pain levels and go see the Dr? My pain is mainly in my lower left abdomen.

I had the same problem I ended up going to urgent care and got more. The rules for prescription meds have changed so they can't really give out a lot. I would say cut in half try and ration it out.
Unread 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Re: Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy?

Hello, I agree w what the other sisters have stated.. I was on 800 mg ibrophrophen & I lowered it to 400 mg, then 200. I only took it as needed..

Is the pain from surgery or from GI system? If pain in colon, then water, walks, fruits, veggies. Smoothies are great now. Heat pad for pains, ice for swelling. Feek better!
Unread 08-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Re: Pain Management a Week after Hysterectomy?

Hello! I had my hysterectomy on May 31st. After the first 4 days, I stopped taking the prescription pain pills and just took Tylenol PM (and sometimes Motrin PM) to help with pain & sleeping. It helped. I recommend this method because the prescription meds tend to cause GI issues. Be sure to drink plenty of water, too. The combination of a heating pad, water, plus the over the counter PMs helped me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register