Vaginal Hysterectomy Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy Pain Vaginal Hysterectomy Pain

Unread 04-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy Pain

Does anyone know how bad the pain from a vaginal hysterectomy is? I've read they're easier to recover from than the abdominal. However, I looked at photos on the web of a vaginal hysterectomy and it looked horrific! It looked as if it would hurt to even sit down afterwards. I'm going to have this surgery in September and would welcome any advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2004, 04:53 PM

I had a LAVH....slightly more invasive than a TVH, much less invasive than TAH. I had little pain. It was very easily managed post-op in the hospital and after 3 days I didn't need any pain management at all. It was not uncomfortable to sit, although I had the complication of an episiotomy, so it was probably more uncomfortable than had I not had to have that procedure as well.

For me, the pain was very minimal and my recovery has been smooth and uncomplicated. I wish you the same uncomplicated recovery!
Unread 04-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Hi Maribel!

Thanks for the info. Is it common for an episiotomy to be done? I thought they were only done after childbirth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2004, 05:16 PM

Hi Annie,

I had a LAVH and am about 3 weeks post op. The only pain I remember is when I first woke up after surgery. My doc gave me a wonderful morphine PCA pump for the first 24 hours and that took care of any pains. I guess you could say I had about a half hour total of pain then complete relief.

Since then I've taken 800 mg Ibuprofen every 8 hours for the first few days for the pressure and achiness, now I'm simply taking the IB twice a day. I've had vaginal pressure at times but it doesn't hurt and is quickly relieved by rest and the IB. My recovery has been wonderful, I actually went back to work last Monday at 2 weeks post op, on light duty of course.

Hope your recovery is quick too!

Marie

LAVH for continuous bleeding and pain, endo and adeno. Kept ovaries.

I'm free!!
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:05 PM

Hi,
I will be five weeks post op on Tuesday from a TVH. Yes, there is pain and discomfort. It is not as invasive as a TAH obviously, but you need to remind yourself that you will have HUNDREDS of internal stitches to heal from. I still have a good amount of staining and discharge, and have not yet passed on single stitch that I have been able to see (My stitches are blue), so there is till alot of basic healing going on. I have been on nothing but advil for about 2 1/2 weeks with one exception, but I still need advil once or twice a day. Don't make the mistake of feeling that this is not such a big deal because you won't have an external incision. And yes, we still get swelly belly from a TVH (Darn!) Leslie
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:50 PM

Hi Annietrec,
I'll be 5 weeks post op tomorrow.....I came home the day after surgery, only took motrin for pain (with the exception of one morph shot as soon as I got to my room). I could sit, stand, walk, eat, laugh, get in and out of bed/couch with no problems. Pressure and crampy like aches the first day then mostly just pressure. I fit back in my jeans right away but wore sweats. Internal check last week still showed a few stitches..haven't spotted since first week. ( and the exam was not uncomfortable) Follow doctor orders and you'll do great!!
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:57 PM

I had a vaginal H...there was a bit of pain for the first few days...but the vicodin took care of that. Yes, you do need to keep in mind of the many stitches that are on the inside healing...it is sometimes easy to forget because there is no pain or incision on the outside.
Unread 04-18-2004, 06:59 PM

Hi Marie & Leslie!

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad to hear you're both recovering well. I'm glad to hear that the recovery won't be too bad. I'm sure with rest and pain RX, I'll do alright. I'm very glad to have found this website. I learn something new every day. Thanks for all your support. I'm open for all the advice you'd like to share.
Hugs!
Unread 04-18-2004, 07:54 PM

Annie,

Thanks for asking this ?? You did it before I had the chance. I will be having a TVH on Arpil 26, will be taking Darvocet for pain. If all goes well, I will only be on it for a few days. I think after my D & C/Hysteroscopy, I took the Darvistet for only 2 days. I just found the bottle a couple of weeks ago, it was still full. So I am hoping that this surgery will be similar.

Whats this about an epesotimy? I was not told about having to have that done. Hope I don't have to have one, that thing hurt like heck after my DD was born.

Am I going to need to use the butt pillow? My nurse told me to get one just incase.

Kedi
Unread 04-19-2004, 05:42 AM

I had a TVH in early Feb. I also have had children and I can tell you from my experience the child birth was more painful hands down.

I had an epis. with my son and it hurt to sit. With the surgery I was sitting up as soon as I came to myself. I was afraid it was going to hurt but it didn't.

There was some pain involved for me. At first I thought that the doc had to to a TAH but once the pain meds kicked in that was it for me. When I came home the only pain was feeling that my ovaries were 20 pounds each and I walked holding them.

After 2-3 days no more pain and at 3 weeks I was 100%. It was the best procedure for me and according to my doc much quicker to recover from. You just have to remind yourself and others that you have had surgery. There is no cut to "prove" it. And my children wanted to see it.

I did not have repairs done.

Best to you!!!!!!!!!

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register