Ok when does the insomnia go away? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok when does the insomnia go away? Ok when does the insomnia go away?

Unread 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok when does the insomnia go away?

I am 4 1/2 months post op. The insomnia was an issue with me as well. At my 6 week checkup I asked my doctor about it and she prescribed Rozerem. It is not habit forming or leave you feeling groggy. I don't have that problem anymore, but I do still have the issue of intermitten days of wanting to just sleep most of the day and night. I work mon-fri full time but come weekends and I don't have to go anywhere it's couch time for me all day long with numerous mini naps and then sleeping all night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM

I will be 8 weeks out come Tuesday 1-15-08 and still not sleeping well if any at all.
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Amazing how many of us fall asleep and wake up between 2 and 4 a.m.

Me too. A month post-op, I'm trying to be patient. The VCR clock informs me of my awakeness.

I'm encouraged by the uplifting 5-month report.

Sweet dreams, everyone -- when we can have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM

I too also suffered with the insomnia and it was really bad and I think I tried everything out there. I finally did get some sleep at about the 8th week with the help of medication. Dermamine was the name I think. I did learn that many go through this and we either have to wait until our bodies work themselves out with the adjustment or get some type of medical help. It does get better but its takes time. I know that is not a great deal of help but it really does just take time.
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Sleep and Melatonin!!

[color=DarkSlateBlue]It has been a while since I visited this site and about 4 years since my total hysterectomy. I realize that I have been lacking in not sharing about my experience and that after my operation. I very much relied on others during that trying time. About the first year or even two I thought I would go crazy with so little sleep. I would be wide awake at night or sleep a couple hours and then awake again. I was very reluctant to take any type of sleeping pill for fear I would be hooked. That is the last thing I wanted. I went to my GYN (lady) and she told me to go to the health food store and get Melatonin. I finally got it and have been taking it every since. I take 2 as soon as I get in bed and start feeling tired in about a half hour. If I wake up 4 hrs. later I take another. It is 5 mg. and has been a life saver. Our body makes melatonin and like hormones - after hysterectomies we can be lacking. I was getting to the point that I couldn't think straight, would forget why I went into a room, etc. My life is so much better now. I do have nights like everyone that I can't sleep but they are to a minimum.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Susie Q,

Thanks for this post and I am going to have my dh pick some up for me today. Yesterday I ended up meeting my DR back at the office in the late afternoon because of intense pain that had gotten worse. We discuseed everything that was going on with me (she talked I cried and could not stop myself) and decided that my lack of sleep for 3 days was not helping. So while I tried some of the remedies for the gastro/intestional part of my problem she prescribed Ambein and said to take it either every other or every third day and see if this helps. Well I took it at 10 last night. Started getting tired and fell good asleep at midnight and did not open my eyes until 7:45 and that is just because I heard the kids about to leave for school.

So I am still in pain and having to deal with that and whatever is wrong there but my OULOOK this am is MUCH better having slept. And I mean REAL sleep not once did I open my eyes (now thankful for my bladder surgery cause if I had done that prior to surgery I would have soaked my self leaking) But the Melatonin sounds like a better option and I may take that two days and Ambein every third if I need it.....try that.

So Thanks again for this post!

Donna
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM

I bought Melatonin yesterday after speaking to the pharmacist. I am on Zyrtec which is an antihistamine so I can't take Advil PM or anything like that. Well, I took the Melatonin (1 pill) and went to bed at 9:30, slept until 12 am and was awake again until 4 am and then fell asleep again until 7 am. I didn't think to take another pill during the night as it says on the bottle to only take 1 at bedtime. Hopefully, tonight will be a better night of sleeping.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm still having sleep issues. My neurologist prescribed Xanax, which helped for a while but doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore. Last night, after 2 hours at the gym and burning 1380 calories, I missed my window of drowsiness and couldn't sleep most of the night. Saturday I had an even more intense workout and managed to sleep, off and on, for 15 1/2 hours -- the volume provided rest, but the sleep itself was still fitful. I'm so fidgety at night, always shifting positions, restless, and the hot/cold flashes certainly don't help. I'm on enough drugs as it is so if anyone can suggest a non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, natural sleep remedy I would be very grateful.
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Sleepless nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug2008
Susie Q,

Thanks for this post and I am going to have my dh pick some up for me today. Yesterday I ended up meeting my DR back at the office in the late afternoon because of intense pain that had gotten worse. We discuseed everything that was going on with me (she talked I cried and could not stop myself) and decided that my lack of sleep for 3 days was not helping. So while I tried some of the remedies for the gastro/intestional part of my problem she prescribed Ambein and said to take it either every other or every third day and see if this helps. Well I took it at 10 last night. Started getting tired and fell good asleep at midnight and did not open my eyes until 7:45 and that is just because I heard the kids about to leave for school.

So I am still in pain and having to deal with that and whatever is wrong there but my OULOOK this am is MUCH better having slept. And I mean REAL sleep not once did I open my eyes (now thankful for my bladder surgery cause if I had done that prior to surgery I would have soaked my self leaking) But the Melatonin sounds like a better option and I may take that two days and Ambein every third if I need it.....try that.

So Thanks again for this post!

Donna
Donna, I have heard that Ambien works but I have also been told it can be addictive. The trick with Melatonin is that once you start taking it and it helps - don't stop. I did that and thought I was "healed". Then I was right back to the same no sleeping zone. Good Luck and keep me posted. It may take a couple days to get Melatonin in your system but it worked quick with me. It is not like Ambien where you are knocked out - it just makes you tired and relaxed and subject to sleeping. I would say that it is a more natural sleep.
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Melatonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlady
I bought Melatonin yesterday after speaking to the pharmacist. I am on Zyrtec which is an antihistamine so I can't take Advil PM or anything like that. Well, I took the Melatonin (1 pill) and went to bed at 9:30, slept until 12 am and was awake again until 4 am and then fell asleep again until 7 am. I didn't think to take another pill during the night as it says on the bottle to only take 1 at bedtime. Hopefully, tonight will be a better night of sleeping.
I have never had any problems what so ever taking more if I wake up during the night. I usually go with one but if I am still awake after a short while and not feeling tired, I will take another. Remember our bodies make Melatonin and I feel that as we age, it goes away like all the other hormones. It is so irritating when you can't sleep at night and you are a zombie the next day. SuzieQ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register