swelly belly ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swelly belly ? swelly belly ?

Unread 07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
swelly belly ?

I have horrid swelly belly. I am just over 2 weeks post op from a TAH. I was fine in the hospital, but it hit about 3 days after I got home. I tried limiting my walking etc to see if it would go down, but it doesn't change at all. I started drinking tonnes of water and resumed the walking to see if maybe that would help. Is there anything a sister can do to help this at all? I am so worried that my work clothes will not fit me when I go back Aug 26. I really don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe.
Anyone have any pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Re: swelly belly ?

The swelly belly goes away gradually.... It does get worse by the end of the day, especially in the early weeks. So when you overdo it, the first place you'll notice is in your abdominal area. I am now eight weeks post op and the swelly belly is going down slowly. I cannot wear all my clothes yet and some get too tight when the day goes on. I'm fine in the morning but by the end of the afternoon I need to change into something more comfortable. I am not back to work but could wear about half of my clothes right now. My first post op appointment was two days ago and the doctor gave me the ok to resume normal activities. I am ready to start situps but he warned to take it slowly.
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM

I know what you mean..if someone did'nt know me they'd think I was pregnant or something >>sigh<< it is frustrating and I too don't want to get another wardrobe. I have noticed though that at night when I put my heating pad on it it seems to go down, not sure why that would be as you'd think the ice packs would do it but for me it seems to be the opposite.

Other then that I think it's just a waiting game, hopefully in the upcoming weeks it sorts itself out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 02:55 PM

at five weeks out my swelly belly is much better. the first few weeks were horrible...a cashier asked me when i was due. i said october and swiped my debit card, lol. i did get clothes to fit, but i went back to work at less than four weeks and the belly was still pretty bad. resale shops kept it cheap and i only bought enough pants to get through the week. give it a little more time, you will notice that it still swells but not quite as much.
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Have you tried a Bella band? You can find them in the maternity section of Target (or I'm sure other places) and you put them on around your waist under your top and over your pants. They look like you have a camisole under your top and allow you to undo your pants when you can't zip them all the way. (for extra security, you can take a hair tie and put it on the button of your pants and run it through the button hole and back to the button) I used them right before my surgery as my endometriosis caused me to swell up like a Macy's Parade balloon. They work very well and have the added bonus of holding you in a little so will give a bit of support.

I am at 5 weeks also and my swelly belly looks like women do right when you are trying to decide whether they are pregnant or just fat.
I went and got some sun dresses and leggings to wear for the start of the school year (I'm not sure how strict your work's dress code is), since there is no way I want pressure on my belly. Everything summer-y was on mega clearance and I got some great deals. Hopefully I will be back in shape before I need winter stuff!
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I am a teachers aid in a high school, so not a real strict dress code, just have to have things covered up and only denim on Friday.
I live in Canada and we do not have Target anywhere that I am aware of but will check out some of the other stores and see if I can find something!
Thanks for all the replies!
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM

It looks like you can get them on Amazon & JC Penney's also - I'd just Google it and see what you get.

I'm a teacher also and our dress code is pretty mellow as well. I plan on using the Bella bands as soon as I can deal with pressure on my abdomen again. I'm getting more use out of them than my pregnant co-workers!

Our building is always freezing cold (I think they hope our students will cover up, but they never do), so I wear long sleeved tees under the sundresses, making them "presentable." I went to the discount clothing stores and really got some good deals. I only wish we had H&M around here.

You might also see if any of your co-workers have a Bella band you can borrow. I have one really cute one with a lace bottom that I am borrowing from one mom of 3. There are a few Bella bands that are making the rounds at our building.

Good luck on your search!
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:12 PM

My swell belly lasted months & was worse on the days that I did more. I did get a new wardrobe. It does go away slowly. Best wishes to you.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:32 PM

This swelly belly does seem to be a mean trick doesn't it? You get the parts out that let you have a baby, then look pregnant! Sheesh! Mine is still minimal, but I am also still not doing much....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register