pelvic exam? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM
pelvic exam?

At 6wk ck up, do they have to do a pelvic exam? If soo that freaks me out, seems like it would be very very uncomfy.. I just had my little over two wk ck, Doctor barely gave me 4 minutes of his time. He said come back in 4wks and I will give you a exam.. Not sure I will be going back if I dont have to have an exam... He made me feel like now that the surgery was done, His job was done... he was really nice and answered all my ? before the surgery.. WOW not to happy about this...

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Re: pelvic exam?

Wow! My 2 wk check went the same way. I cringe every time I think about or hear the word EXAM! Good Luck to both of us..
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Yes, he should do an exam. You need to be checked to see how things are healing and if any stitches are left. I had one at my 9 day check up and at my 7 week check up. It actually doesn't hurt and wasn't uncomfortable.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle42 View Post
Yes, he should do an exam. You need to be checked to see how things are healing and if any stitches are left. I had one at my 9 day check up and at my 7 week check up. It actually doesn't hurt and wasn't uncomfortable.

Good luck!
Odd as I saw my dr at 3 weeks post op and he said didn't need an exam and at 6 weeks i could slowly resume normal activities.
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM

I also had a pelvic exam at my six week exam. I took motrin before and was not uncomfortable at all during it. You should definitely go just to make sure everything is healing well.
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM

I had an exam a 6 days post op and it didn't hurt during, but I had alot of crampy type pain afterward. I go next week for my 6 week and she said she has to do a pelvic just to make sure that the cuff healed properly.
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM

I just had my pelvic exam at 5 weeks and it didnt hurt at all.I had a little burning sesnsation later but not much.Didnt start bleeding either. He is a very gentle Dr,73 years old. I hope everyone getting an exam soon has a painless one too!Noelle
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Yeh I will for sure go have pelvic if thats whats needed, My Dr was just not giving up much info.. Dont find him as great as I once thought.. I did manage to get my to get my final pathology report, explains alot. I couldnt believe everthing on my left side was in good shape, but the right side was doomed.. VERY glad I had this surgery done..
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:42 AM

I had to see my gyno early at 4 weeks post open due to extra pain I had and a scan showing a hematona and a cyst on left ovary.
I had a vaginal and rectal exam while he palpated my pelvis externally at the same time. It was very painful and he had to keep stopping because my body was automatically tensing and guarding itself from the pain. He was really good about it though and just waited each time until I was ready.
I think mine was so painful due to having severe hemorrhagic cystitis for 2 weeks after surgery and also having hematona and cyst is painful by itself let alone on top of just having surgery.
My gyno told me that is why internals aren't usually done until 6 weeks as its so painful.
I think most drs mainly just use a speculum to check cuff stitches are healing ok and there is no infection. Having the rectal exam and pelvis palpated I don't think is the norm but every Dr is different.
I would take some painkillers before hand as even if the exam is ok you will be a bit sore afterwards which is to be expected. I found when it hurt during my exam u took deep breathes in the nose and blew out slowly through the mouth, it really helped relax me.
Just remember your not the first post just patient your Dr has seen so I'm sure he will be gentle and sympathetic of your pain.
good luck and heal well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register