LAVH Recovery - Many Questions! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH Recovery - Many Questions! LAVH Recovery - Many Questions!

Unread 07-24-2003, 10:49 AM
LAVH

Hi Dawn,

Good luck on your surgery.

I had a LAVH on 3/24/03 and am feeling great! My doctor recommended that I do nothing for two weeks after my surgery and I followed his instructions. I had one ovary removed, which had cycsts, I also had uterine fibroids and adenomyosis. I was fortunate enough to keep one ovary.

The best piece of advice I can offer is to take it very easy after your surgery. Even though you only have those small incisions on the outside, you have many incisions on the inside that need a chance to heal. Just get back into things gradually, get plenty of rest and listen to your body.

A co-worker had the same surgery just five weeks ago and she has completely overdone it. She is paying the price for that now. Please take it easy.

TammyC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2003, 08:41 PM
healing time

It's me again. I just wanted to clarify what I said before, I know the expected time of recovery is 2wks if you have an ovary removed and much longer since a hyst. is major surgery, and what do I know anyway??? I just meant that it "seems" strange, but I guess all of us LIW's will find out soon enough, right? Or not soon enough depending on how you look at it. Thanks for the info ShirlO. I will actually be surprised if I or anyone else gets to go back to work that quickly. If I've learned anything here, its to do this right, because you only get one chance at it.
Unread 07-25-2003, 06:20 AM
A little late

but wanted to give my 2 cents worth. I just had a LTVH on Tuesday (7/22). I was supposed to go home Wednesday but my temp spiked and they kept me an extra night. I switched to regular Tylenol and an analgesic on Wednesday morning and took the last of those Thursday morning. I have not pain, just an occasional twinge. It's nothing compared to the pain I used to have during my periods for which I took vicodin.

I feel I could do housework but I won't because I know it's not good for me. I try to walk short stretches, get my own water, etc. but my husband will not let me bend or lift ANYTHING. It's probably better.

My doc said no driving for 4 weeks and if I want to drive sooner I have to see her and pass a test - not sure what that means.

Here is something she said that might help you. She told me NO exercise except light walking for 6 weeks even if I feel up to it. She said at 3 to 4 weeks you might feel really good, and here comes the interesting part, but she said it's at that point that your tissue is the softest. It's about the consistency of soft butter and therefore easily damaged. So if you have a demanding job and you go in after 3 weeks it might just be too soon. But it is something your doctor would have to clear.

I hope all will go well.

Kristina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2003, 09:53 AM
LAVH Recovery - Many Questions!

Thanks Kristina,

That is very helpful.
Unread 07-25-2003, 11:30 AM

I'm here again. I thought I'd post this info from my experience just in case it is helpful to you. ( I had misplaced it earlier)

Also, I have read many stories from women who went back to work early and regretted the decision. With a strenuous job, you should be very careful.

The main difference in LAVH and TAH is the incision. The work done on the inside is much the same, so the healing time is basically the same for LAVH, minus any of the issues related to the larger incision. The healing required before resuming intimacy is the same.

My DR told me "basically bedrest", no work at all, of any kind until the 1st pos op appointment at 3 weeks.

I learned from this website and experience:

Sitting up for short periods is o.k., but counts as an activity, 20 minutes at a time is plenty. I did cheat on this one before I knew, and while the anesthesia was still in my system!

No driving for 2 weeks. Some have longer driving restrictions. Riding in the car while someone else drives is not very comfortable. When you need to do that, be sure to put your tummy pillow between you and the seatbelt. It will take some of the vibration for you. Lots better!

The anesthesiologist told me to be very careful for the first two weeks because the anesthesia meds can stay in your system that long. They can make you think you feel better than you really do. Don't listen to your body for the first two weeks!!! Just BEHAVE!!!!!

Fatigue is common. Healing takes energy. Nap as often as you feel like it! I think I slept the majority of the first two weeks

I learned the hard way not to make my bed- it is hard on your abdomen and thus, hard on the surgery sites. I would say it is not worth the chance of popping a stitch.

Your may have hundreds of stitches inside and it takes time for the healing process to take place. Since it is a moist climate in there, it takes longer stitches on the outside of your body do.

Drink plenty of liquids and take short, frequent walks to stimulate your circulation and your digestive tract, even if you just have to walk around the house.

I could micowave packaged dinners for myself, use the remote, watch videos someone else got for me, hand stitching, talk on the telephone, etc.

After 3 weeks I could fold light laundry and do other VERY light things around the house.

I avoided bending over, twisting, stretching, pulling and pushing (even grocery carts), too. They are hard on your abdomen and put stress on the surgery sites.

No lifting over 10 pounds, no doing the laundry, no sweeping, no mopping, no vacuuming, nothing physically strenuous, no swimming, bathing in the tub, or sex until the DR. gave the o.k. That usually happens at 6 weeks visit

As for restrictions, here is a light-hearted, but very serious list of Do's and Don't's for post op ladies. Please try to follow this for the first 2-3 weeks, at least..

Toonces Do's and Don't's List for Post Op

-Picking up pillows and repositioning them…..allowed
-Turning on dishwasher AFTER SOMEONE ELSE HAS LOADED IT…..allowed
-Changing roll of toilet paper…..allowed
-Flipping on lightswitch…..allowed
-Folding laundry…..allowed
-Taking short, easy walks and gentle stretching…..allowed
-Lifting the remote control…..allowed
-Asking others for help...allowed and encouraged
X - Vacuuming…..NOT ALLOWED
X - Sweeping or Mopping…..NOT ALLOWED
X - Carrying laundry across house to washer…..NOT ALLOWED
X - Lifting, Bending, Reaching, Driving…..NOT ALLOWED
X - Lying around the house all day doing nothing…..NOT ALLOWED (see above)
X - Bending to access oven or empty litterboxes....NOT ALLOWED
X - Going to Wal-Mart for some bargain shopping....NOT RECOMMENDED
X - Pushing a shopping cart….NOT ALLOWED
X - Sitting for prolonged periods of time i.e. at computer….NOT ALLOWED
X - Opening windows, particularly the hard-to-open ones….NOT ALLOWED
X - Making other people’s problems your own…..NOT ALLOWED
X - Picking Tomatoes, Weeding, and other such nonsense...NOT ALLOWED

Unread 07-25-2003, 12:01 PM

Thanks Shirl0 - lots of good info!

All of you ladies' prayers must be working. The hospital just called to say they want me there at 6 am for a 7.30 start time. Previous time was around noon!! Makes such a difference not to have to worry all morning, and be hungry/nauseated/uncomfortable at the same time...

Thank you all!!!

Unread 07-25-2003, 12:26 PM

I don't get on the boards to much anymore but wanted to reply to your post. I had an LAVH/BSO on 11/27/02. I did return to work after 3 weeks. I came back part time and did really well. The first couple of days I pushed myself to hard, stayed longer than I should of but after that for the next couple of weeks I made sure I went home when I got tired instead of waiting till I was exhausted. My boss was just grateful I was coming in at all so put up with my weird schedule for awhile.
The hardest day when I felt like I really just couldn't do it was the Sunday before my first day back. I think I was more afraid of having to get back into a regular routine and had a panic attack.
The pain wasn't bad, it was just fatigue and even though I have a job where i sit, the swelly belly was bad at the end of the day.
Maybe if I had it to do over again I would have taken a couple more weeks off (can't get them back now).
Unread 07-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Thanks to you ladies who have posted such great info!

My LAVH is scheduled for 8/11....a preventative as I am BRCA2 positive....

I have my breast reconstruction (a "big 'ole surgery ) 8 wks later....my plastic surgeon says this is okay...

Here's my question....are you feeling pretty "normal" at the 8 wk mark (in terms of energy, that is)? I'm just wondering if the 2nd surgery is going to hit me a LOT harder given that I'm just 8 wks post-op from this LAVH/

Thanks,
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register