had pre op today but now I'm wondering... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

had pre op today but now I'm wondering... had pre op today but now I'm wondering...

Unread 08-18-2004, 05:42 PM
had pre op today but now I'm wondering...

the 27th I'm having a LVAH. Ovaries, cervix, uterus the works is coming out. He said I didn't have endo so we don't have to worry about that. What I'm wondering now is that he was very nice and would answer my questions but I felt like it was really no big deal as I was leaving. I asked if I have to drink that stuff to clean me out...nope, he's not doing anything with the bowels.

Was there anything I couldn't eat and drink and when should I stop...no and don't eat after midnight. My surgery is at 7:30. He said I would stay overnight and he would release me in the morning although I could stay as long as I needed to during the day since it wasn't like a hotel with check out. I asked about a catheter, he said yes but I could have it out when I wanted to. Nothing was said about walking, gas, or pain. He told me I couldn't drive for about two weeks until I could slam my foot down on the brake and not to lift anything over 20 lbs. He said he would call me before the surgery in case I have any other questions.

Don't know what I was expecting but it was very uneventful. Didn't even take blood or anything. Just checked my uterus and fibroids to be sure there wasn't any surprises.

Am I missing something or did I just get lucky? Or was I making this more than it is. Maybe they will tell me more about what to bring or do or not do when I go in to see the anethesialogist this friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 06:06 PM

Did you go to your hospital to have any pre-op testing done? I went to the hospital for blood and urine testing before surgery, and the nurse there gave me a booklet with all the details about the surgery, what to bring to the hospital, what to expect after surgery, etc.

My pre-op visit with my Dr was much like yours, just a chat to review what the actual operation was going to accomplish, etc. I had had an ultrasound a couple months before, and my annual pap test and mammogram in the month before surgery, so no exam or anything at the pre-op visit.

In my experience, I think you got a good amount of information in that visit. I'm sure pre-op visits vary from Dr to Dr and hospital to hospital. But, as always, if you're not satisfied with the info. you got from the Dr, call the office and ask.
Unread 08-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Hi Decotres,

I had a very similar preop. No bowel prep. He just said have a BM the day before.

I also had no restriction on food or beverages the day before. Except after 12:00 AM, the day of surgery, then only water.

I also had surgery at 7:30 AM. At an outpatient facility. I had the option to spend the night and I actually went home at 6:00 PM the same day.

I had a catheter and they removed it before I left for home. Was very easy to work with. A nurse helped me when I needed to go to the restroom after surgery.

I did not get anything about walking, gas or pain either. They go over pain when you go in for surgery.

I also was restricted from driving for two weeks and I had a 15 lb weight restriction.

So thought the same thing after pre-op...too easy.

I am now 4 months post op and I could not be happier with my surgery results.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 11:50 AM

Thankyou for your answers. I do go in tomorrow to the hospital for tests and to talk to the anethesialogist (can't even say it at this point). So guess they will fill me in more then. So glad I don't have to drink the lovely stuff before. Now if I could just think straight. I'm not scared or worried, but extremely tired and forgetful. I know people must think I'm a real "ditz" lately. One week from tomorrow. Yeah!
Unread 08-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I had my pre op today too

I went in and had my pre op doc and my hospital preop testing done all at one time.

The doc basically brought in three patients he had that were all going to have the surgery done on the same day and we watched a film about the surgery which was basically an informed consent type thing and then we signed paperwork.

Then the doc came in and examined us individually. Checked my blood pressure, ears, eyes, nose and throat. Then called me back into his office to go over if I had any questions. Made sure I understood which procedure I was having done, etc. How long I would be in the hospital and such stuff as that. He also told me not to eat or drink after midnite and not to take my meds in the morning. Then gave me my OR time and my card with my post op return visit on it. And a pamplet with all the things I shouldnt do after the surgery.

Then I went to the hospital with paperwork to Pre admit into the hospital. I had to go to the lab for blood and urine specimens. Then up to sameday surgery to speak to them and the nursing staff and the anesthesiology folks. Went over with them any known allergies and all that.

And I am good to go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register