seasonique bcp vs hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

seasonique bcp vs hysterectomy? seasonique bcp vs hysterectomy?

Unread 07-25-2007, 10:50 AM
seasonique bcp vs hysterectomy?

Okay, so, after a couple of days of very heavy period, i finally got in to see the dr.. after blood tests , they see that i need 2 units of blood.. then ,i get the "jump thru hoops" gyn consult/appt.. this is where i think i developed my crush.. he (the dr.) not only asked me "how many pads do you go thru a day?" (never had a man ask me that before) but then he suggested trying this new birth control pill that prevents you from having a period for 3 months (where was this 20 years ago!)..
Well, i saw the dr. yesterday, told him that even with this pill, my body has bled alittle every day this month.. manageable,,but never the less..
now,,my question.. do i cont. the pill, or go for the hsyt? My choice he says..i have several fibroids, biggest 2inches. he said my body is at a 14 week pregnacy size.. i kept trying to up it to about 20 weeks, but he stuck to his first size..ha . my idea so far, is to see what this year classroom brings( i work as a aide in k) if I need a break from the class.. then op for hysterectomy.. anyone else been on this pill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Various Pills didn't do it for me but my problems were not related to fibroids. What did the dr say when you told him you had bled all month while on the Pill?

Have you questioned if the fibroids could be removed without doing a hyst.?

I would have a detailed discussion with your dr. about options - I believe there are a few for fibroids that don't involve such an invasive, permanent surgery as a hyst.
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM
intune

Thanks intune.. the dr. just said that the pill wasn't doing what he had hoped it would do, and maybe i could try a month on, then take a week off (like the other bcp),, he also said that if i get "tired " of all this then i could have the hyst.. he said some women say" god gave me this uterus, so i'll keep it" others say "take it!" my reply is god gave me a gallbladder also, but thats gone. h a.. so, we'll see what period is like after the 3 months of no period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2007, 10:16 PM

I hear ya on the gallbladder being gone - my appendix, tonsils, and adenoids are all gone too!!
Keep us posted how you make out!
Unread 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Hi LumpLady

I suffered for years with very painful heavy periods. Finally asked for help when the flooding caused horribly humiliating accidents and anemia - so I feel for anyone who has heavy bleeding. I tried other options to see if I could avoid a hysterectomy. Although most women do fine - if a lesser treatment helps, then why go through all the pain and risks? Right? Thankfully, alternatives do work for many women. I know several women who've been able to avoid a hysterectomy - so whatever I tried was worth it to me to see if I might be like them. (I wasn't, but that's okay - I do not regret trying -at all.)

I have a couple friends who have used the continuous birth control pill and really like it. I also have a sister who could no longer use the pill and was switched to the Mirena System system and it has helped her tremendously. The hormone it delivers goes mainly to the uterine lining and thins it, making there less to shed each month and now she really doesn't even have a period. A "heavy" period for her might mean a pantyliner for an afternoon! Although the pill won't lessen bleeding to the point that Mirena sometimes does, I am wondering if your bleeding might improve some the longer you are on it? ~ There seems to be an adjustment, so sometimes it takes a few months to determine whether it will be successful or not.

My other sister, and some of my friends, have had success from having an endometrial ablation. Some women with fibroids aren’t the best candidates for E.A., but it is still an option for some, depending on where the fibroids are, size, and whether they are causing a distortion to the inside of the uterus or not. Might be worth checking into as well. Seems the women who are closer to menopausal age are the ones with the best long term results. My sister and 1 of my friends that had it have never had another period.

Although most women who have a hysterectomy do fine afterward, there is no way to tell ahead of time who will do okay and who will have complications. There are plenty of women who post on this site who regret having a hysterectomy because of complications, ovaries shutting down, sexual dysfunction, bowel or bladder problems, nasty wound infections etc. Very sad.

Although I didn’t have any major complications, my hospital stay was extended because of bladder problems. Shortly after my hyst I developed a rectocele and had to go back for a very painful posterior repair. Now, I have bladder problems again and a 3rd degree cystocele - which also needs repaired.
….. Had I not known for sure that a hysterectomy was absolutely necessary, I would probably be wondering if these pelvic floor problems could have been avoided, since the trauma of surgery can contribute to them sometimes. Also, I honestly felt (still feel) like I aged a decade the year I had my hyst. It really took a toll on my body.

Anemia and heavy bleeding are the pits - I know. Being anemic to the point of needing 2 units of blood must be taking a toll on you and affecting your quality of life. It is certainly understandable that you would consider a hysterectomy with bleeding like that, but if you can improve your health without major surgery, then I think it's wise to try. I hope you weren't serious when you said
  Quote:
my idea so far, is to see what this year classroom brings( i work as a aide in k) if I need a break from the class.. then op for hysterectomy
- If you decide to have a hysterectomy, I hope the decision is based on your medical need.

Anyone considering major surgery should have at least a 2nd opinion, if not more. You are worth it. Please ask about your options, know what is available to you so you feel comfortable with the path you choose and the risks involved.

Here are links to some Options Articles and links to some resources for Options and Alterntives that might be helpful to you.

Good luck with your decisions. I hope you feel you feel better soon.
Best wishes & gentle s,
Beth
Unread 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM
thanks beth..

no, i wasn't really serious about taking the time if the classroom is challenging.. but one thing my dr. did say is that most women go thru menopause by 52 and if i wanted to try to wait it out... im almost 51, and if this pill does keep the major bleeding at bay, then i think i'll continue it.. besides how many women with glucoma can tell the nurse when she asks "are you taking any other meds?" Yes, the pill...thank you for all your information..mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register