Pre op and Stupid People | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op and Stupid People Pre op and Stupid People

Unread 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

First of all, I had my pre op today, and it was great. The doctor loved that I had my questions all mapped out and ready for him. I loved that he didn't require a physical exam, he said he was taking it all out on Tuesday, so what was the point! And most importantly NO BOWEL PREP! Just a light diet the next few days.

I am so sick of STUPID PEOPLE! If one more person comes up to me and says that I should go back to work the week after my surgery becuase they did, I am gonna SCREAM!!!!! I asked my doc and he said he wouldn't release me after two weeks... My post op isn't for three weeks afterward. He said we would discuss it further then, and he would be HAPPY to "enlighten" my boss and anyone else who thought otherwise... So, am I being a wuss? All I asked for is 4 weeks off work...Is that unreasonable? Atleast my doc supports me. And my SISTERS of course!

Thanks for letting me vent... cant wait to be a princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

You are not being a wuss. You need at least 4 weeks off. I went back to work at 4 weeks but a lot of ladies go back at 6 weeks and later and I truly understand why.
I am 11 weeks out and I still get so tired and I have a desk job.
I've been lucky and have had a lot of support from my staff and from my boss.
You take it easy after surgery. Rest and heal.

Unread 06-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

DaisyRae

No you are NOT being a wuss! It sounds like we work around similar people. My supervisor got all upset when I told her I was having surgery and would be out a few weeks. She got furious, because she wants to take her Vacation.......I'm like oh yeah, don't worry about someone's health cause your vacations is much more important........arrrrrggggg!!!! She basically demanded that I come back in 2 weeks, if not before! I have a desk job, 911 dispatch. But I do alot of walking around, cause I am the only one working, and I have to run papers all over the department after calls and if someone is arrested or not. I tell you, why do people act that way!!

I am amazed at yours and other Sister's Pre-Op appts are at least 5 to 7 (or more) days before surgery. My doc set my preop up for 2 days before surgery. So that probably means that I will have to do bowel prep and all that fun stuff........oh boy!!

Anyways, just wanted to tell ya I know how you feel about the STUPID people that you work with. Oh, and my surgery is the day after yours.....so good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.........

Alle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

Alle, I am sorry about your boss and her ignorance... I wish you the best of luck.. I will be thinking of you until I am too doped up to remember my own name.. I promise.. THanks for the moral support...
VoteLady, I will take your advise and rest up as much as I can...
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

ugh
isn't that the worst? to have a boss that's a WOMAN and she won't understand that getting your reproductive organs cut out might take a lil time to get over!
I'm so steamed! Gimme her number, I want to straighten her out on a few things! lol (just kidding!!!)
I stayed home for 6 weeks and I've been back at work for almost two weeks. I feel pretty good, but it's no piece of cake working 8 hours a day lemme tell ya.
Good luck at the castle, hope everything goes well!
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

oops
I just re-read your post and now I'm not sure where I got the idea your boss is a woman.
my bad!
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:51 PM
i have to add

My job really bothers me. I love love love my job, but.....ok, here's the story. I had a tvh on 5/25/04. My doc told me that I was to be out of work (part time, which is what I work), for 3 weeks. I had a doctor's note from him that I was to give to my employer. Nothing has been said DIRECTLY to me...just little comments around the office like, "well, since you TOOK 3 weeks off, we are going to postpone your review", AS IF I TOOK A VACATION TO THE BAHAMA'S!!!! and, "wow, it's been a while, you sure you remember how to work"!!??

The funny thing, is that a work for a DOCTOR! I am a Medical Assistant! I work in a small office, with 1 male doc and the rest women.....ugh.....

I have told myself to not be sooooo sensitive, but jeeeezzzz...i actually had a MAJOR surgery! I just can't believe people sometimes.

Not only that, but I only was off 3 weeks! i've read a lot of other posts that ladies have taken off like 16 weeks!!!!
Unread 06-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Pre op and Stupid People

I am a bit less than 2 weeks post-op and my surgery was laparscopic, so in theory at least, my recovery should be short. I cannot imagine going back to work in two or three days from now. Your boss/coworkers are not being reasonable at all. Please listen to what you doctor says in all things regarding this and DO WHAT HE/SHE SAYS. Also, be honest with your doctor when you go back for your first post-op visit about pain and other problems you may have been experiencing. I wish you the best. Laurainthesouth
Unread 06-18-2004, 06:53 AM
preop

Alle, my preop appointment was just shy of a month before surgery. They answered all my questions, did the physical, gave me all the instructions. I thought that was it.

But then this week, one week before surgery, lots of nurses have been calling and doing phone interviews, going over all the instructions. And going over if there were any changes, all that stuff.

I am glad they did it that way-I had time to think of every question, and to get all the information.

I am glad they called back though, because I forgot about not taking aspirin, aleve, ibuprofen products for one week before surgery. I had changed pain relievers and so it was good for them to call and remind me.
Unread 06-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Pre op and Stupid People

Another thing you can remind people is that these are not just reproductive organs. The ovaries are, in fact, part of your endocrine system and also produce hormones that are important to your cardio vascular system, your kidneys, your heart, your bones, your teeth, your digestive tract, your sleep cycle, your vision, your bowels, your bladder, your urinary tract, your moods, your weight, your energy level, your libido .... just to name a few. Your body needs time to recover from this shock to your system and there are a LOT of adjustments it has to make. Each one of us is unique with our own chemical balance and there is no set in stone time for recovery. Some bounce right back and then some of us never do. I was out for two years and then only able to work part time. Maybe if you explain to them that there is much more than a baby carriage and eggs involved, they will cut you some slack. Print out some information on the endocrine system and hand that to your boss.

Wishing you a healthy and easy recovery, and all the time it takes to get you there.

Best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register