surgery + 5 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery + 5 days surgery + 5 days

Unread 11-05-2006, 08:09 AM
surgery + 5 days

I had a LAVH on Halloween, and am doing well. On surgery day, I felt great and thought "this recovery is going to be a breeze." It's the wonder of morphine! Had an awful night due to arthritis in my hips and the gas in my shoulders and upper abdomen. I'm here to tell you that there is nothing more wonderful than orange jello at 3 a.m.

Was released the following evening and arrived home at 7:30 p.m. Waited much too long to take pain meds, and my DH almost lost me when driving over a railroad tracks on the way home.

The incision at my navel is the sorest, and it's red and weeping. Called the doctor's office Friday with questions and they assured me that all was normal. My only concern was that there was infection starting, but the nurse reassured me that was not the case.

Also having trouble with bm's. Drinking prune juice like water, but not much to show for it.

My daughter-in-law came over with dinner one night, and 2 neighbors did the same. It's saved us from my DH's cooking Leftovers to last a few days, and by then, I should be feeling like doing some simple cooking.

My laptop went into the shop the same time I did, so am not tempted to work (I work from home). Am screening calls and not returning the work-related calls. Am letting my business partner handle all that needs to be handled for a couple weeks. I'm trying to be very intentional about taking care of myself and not getting back in the routine too soon.

Well, my tummy is starting to get upset......a sure sign that it's time for my nap. Talk to you all soon.

I'd love to hear from my sisters who share my surgery date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2006, 09:57 AM
surgery + 5 days

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on Halloween also. They also told me I had urinary stress incontinence so the doc said he was gonna fix that while doing the hysterectomy. I quit taking the percocet but still on 800 mg Motrin...Needless to say, I feel like I have to pee every five minutes with just a tinkle, and then when I get up, I feel like I have to go again...This is driving me nuts...Its not really a burning feeling, but an painful feeling that I want to urinate more than comes out...I feel so frustrated about this and wonder if anyone else had something similar?
Unread 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
surgery + 5 days

Hi skspds! I had TAH on Oct 31 and came home from hospital yesterday. I stayed in the recovery room for almost 5hrs, because I didn't want to wake up, or something like that Morphine and demerol when I came to my room, for about 36hrs and they take it away. On to the Motrin, which works. Clotting meds by injection made me bruise...My belly is sore and swollen and bruised all over, but it's still early in my recovery. I'm expecting a full recovery and no complications, because as you are, I am being intentional in my recovery. We don't want to blow this one chance at recovery, do we? My BM's are every 3 days (what am I crazy to be so indiscreet?) sorry but dicretion is not one of my finer points. I'm eating fruit with every meal, prunes in between. Prune juice once a day too. I sat on the throne and just read. I had a bath today too, which I love! It was soo nice. The warm water helps the bodily functions work better. All the best to you in your recovery, sister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2006, 11:47 AM
surgery + 5 days

Msanders,

You may want to call your doc and be checked for a possible UTI.

Don't forget to walk ladies! So happy to hear of your intentions of taking wonderful care of yourselves~Anju
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:44 PM
surgery + 5 days

Thanks, will call tomorrow. After I made my post, I was thinking about the UTI or bladder/kidney infection...I have never had any of them so this feeling is new to me.
Unread 11-05-2006, 04:42 PM
surgery + 5 days

I had LAVH on Halloween, too! I feel pretty decent. I am moving around much better than I had expected. I had some minor bleeding, but it was enough to prescribe iron which constipates me. Colace is my newest friend! BTW, for those of you who had bowel prep, it takes a few days for solid food to work its way down again. As for the belly button, that is my sorest part also. I sneezed today and felt like someone yanked it from behind! OUCH!!!! I am thrilled that at least for 2 days now, I have had no spotting. I think that must be a record for me.

Princess Violet, I had been thinking of you. It is good to see you and all the other Halloween princesses doing well!

Carrie
Unread 11-05-2006, 05:01 PM
surgery + 5 days

TAH on Halloween too I love it! I joked with the nurses the whole time. Woke up in my room in time to watch a horror movie marathon, inbetween my button pushing.. They all thought I was a little nuts to be so cheerful, but its all good. My dr did tell me that I can go off the iron pills in a month, since Aunt Flo is no longer and issue and will be causing no further problems.
As far as a BM? Had one of those the night I came home from the hospital. My mother in law laughed the whole time, cuz as fast as I thought I was moving, I wasn't! LOL

Only taking pain pills at night to help me sleep, esp since I'm a side sleeper. Took 2 just a bit ago so I'll be zonked out very very soon.
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
surgery + 5 days

It was good to hear from my Halloween sisters! I felt so good yesterday that I overdid it. As a result, today I'm not feeling that great.

Had a bad night too, as the hot flashes have returned. I had 4 glorious nights without them, and was hoping they were gone for good. Can't do HRT for other health reasons. My doctor says the hot flashes should have been gone long before now. Maybe I'll try the melatonin and see if that makes a difference. Seems like I seldom have a hot flash in the daytime, but just let the sun go down and wow.......

Glad to hear that all of you are coming along. Take special care of yourselves. Let's let someone else be the caregiver for awhile.

58 years old, LAVH post-menopausal bleeding and suspicious lab results
Unread 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM
surgery + 5 days

skspds...watch it sister or we'll send the boot brigade I'm so enjoying this site and making special friendships! I'm glad to share with all my Hallowe'en princesses our recoveries together. On to a question I've come up with...a girlfriend had a hyst with both tubes and ovaries removed in June, but no bruising whatsoever. I on the other hand, look a maosaic of may hues of green purple and red. What's up with that???
Unread 11-07-2006, 02:16 PM
surgery + 5 days

Hi, I too had a partial abdominal hysterectomy(pah?-new to board) on Halloween. It's great to find people in the same place in recovery. Question for you guys-or anyone else that reads this. I have bad nausea day of and after surgery. Aside from that recovery is going o.k. came home 3rd day. When I got home I notice a sharp burning pain to the left of my incision (but past sutures). It is excruciatingly painful, some times fabric touching it hurts, other times it's quiet. Has anyone had something like this? Saw my doc to have stitches out and he said it was likely due to retractors used in surgery to hold open incision-they probably damage a muscle. He said this pain can last, hopefully less severe, for over 1 year!!!! Has anyone heard of this, I would appreciate any info, I'm sort of nervous about it now.

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register