How does everyone else feel? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How does everyone else feel? How does everyone else feel?

Unread 07-24-2006, 09:26 AM
How does everyone else feel?

Well I had my partial on the 18th. Unfortuantely it was 2 hours late when I got to finally go in. My anesthiesiologist messed up and gave me a thrombus the first time, and then finally got it right the 2nd. Was to be in the hospital for 2 nights turned out to be 3 because I was not taking to the meds and was very ill. Between the morphine, gravol, percaset, and tylenols with codeine it made me very ill. I did not have a very good time, My head is still fuzzy and my body aches all over. I only hope that it is worht it. Can anyone give me some words on how they did, or words of encouragement that I did the right thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:54 AM

Hi HysterSister100,

I am sorry to hear of everything that happened to you during your castle stay.

All I can share is you are on the home stretch now. Surgery is over and you got through. Pat yourself on the back for that. Waiting for surgery can sometimes be the hardest part.

Might you reply back and tell us what type of hyst you had?? It could help us ladies in advising you.

Jut get lots of R & R, drink lots of liquids and eat healthy. We will be thinking of you.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:19 PM

HI,
It was done through laporoscopy with vaginal asssist. I too kept evertyhing but the uterus. I also had my ovaries scraped to get the endometriosis off.
"How long does it to take to feel normal again?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:13 PM

Don't feel so bad, I had my TAH on the 17th and it was a disaster as well. I have Lupus and RA so I am on a lot of pain and other meds as it is. I went to a pain mgmt Dr before the surgery to get a plan all lined out to avoid any problems beforehand. I was supposed to have my Pca pump started long before I woke to minimize the pain I would feel because my arthritis would flare from laying on such a hard surface for so long. The pump was never started. I awoke crying and begging for help from this horrible burning pain and was literally waved off by the nurse and was told to stop moaning because surgery was supposed to hurt and that my stomach was going to tense up if I didn't settle down. I didn't get the pump going until I was on my way to my room. When I got to my room, the nurses didn't follow my orders in my file and gave me the wrong dose of meds-much lower and not as frequently as required. I was in so much pain I ended up vomiting all over myself and my bed. My hubby had to page my pain mgmt dr and have her come down to straighten everything out. It was the worst 2 days of my life!
Unread 07-25-2006, 05:54 AM

I might be showing my ignorance, but what's a thrombus? Doesn't sound too good!? I think I had a pretty typical castle stay. Surgery at 7:30 a.m., out by 9:30 and off to my room by 11:00. PCA started when I left for my room, but morphine made me ITCH and have a headache. After a day of that we switched to percocet which was much, much better. I'm home now, using the percocet regularly and following orders. Overdid it yesterday but am taking it easier today for sure. Feel well!
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:49 AM

My "Castle" stay was okay - and I say that nicely as possible.

The stockings that pump up to avoid blood clots? they had them wrapped on my legs, but, they never activated them until late at night the 2nd day.

What was supposed to be a 3 day stay was 5 days. THe morphine made me itch terribly, so, I wouldn't press the button. So they gave me benadryl to help with the itch and made me press the button. I was so incoherrent people would just smile and nod, and have NO CLUE what I was saying - it was clear in my head "please get rid of the morphine"...

I couldn't hold foods or liquids down until the 5th day.

And they took the catheter out too soon. I told them it was too soon, but, they didn't listen - I know from experience that it was too soon. But, they thought they knew me better than I did. 2 additional catheters later - they realized I knew what I was talking about - my innards just totally freeze up for 4 days.

The third night I got up to go to the bathroom, and the nurse was in there helping my roommate, and asked if I needed help, I said only to get back into bed. when I came out, she was gone and the lights were out...So, I waited for a little while, but, she never came back. I had to take my little drip with me to find someone to help me.

If I was asked what for only one piece of advice about recuperating from this surgery, it would be this:

TAKE IT EASY! Do NOT sit for long periods of time, REST, REST, REST. Do not rush to get back to "normal" activities! Rushing it will only set you back.
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:14 AM

I had a TVH on 7/19 and I didn't respond to the meds very well either, however, thankfully I had a great staff of nurses that helped me with everything I needed. I had a spinal after surgery and morphine (maybe it was the same thing, I was so out of it I have no idea) anyway, made me very sick. They put something in my iv during surgery to keep me from getting sick but it didn't work, they tried again in my room and I think it worked alittle. I found out the morphine makes me sick. Surgery was wed am and I didn't actually take any pain meds until thurs evening, then I was so scared to try anything because I was finally not getting sick I didn't want that feeling anymore, so I just took motrin. After that I tried the percocet and that worked ok...gave me bad headaches and didn't feel like eating. So I've just been taking my Advil Liquid Gels and gasx that seems to work the best. However I never let an ice pack get too far from my belly...That does absolute wonders!! Good luck on your recovery and remember your not alone out there!
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:13 AM

Greetings Sisters! I had an LAVH on April 6, 2006 and am doing well. I still have some scarring, mostly in the belly button area. I think it was from trying to do too much too soon. I couldn't sit still and do nothing, that's just the way I am. Dumb, I know. It was my THIRD attempt to get this surgery over and done with. I had to re-schedule 3 different times till finally April 6 came and it was OVER AND DONE!

In Feb. 2006 I had another Trans Vag. ultrasound to see how this one cyst I had from 2000 was doing. The doc calls me Feb. 19 to tell me I now had THREE cysts and a cluster of fibroids. Surgery was scheduled for March 3. Post op blood work was done and all went well till they got the results of my chest x-ray. They saw 'something suspicious'. A CT scan was ordered. That showed NOTHING abnormal; they told me that it was a spot or dirty lense on the first x-ray!! Had to reschedule surgery for March 16. Due to all the STRESS of worrying... I got a bad case of bronchitis, go figure, eh? So I cried and they gave me this one dose of a very strong anti-biotic to help heal me faster. Finally I started to feel better so they scheduled the surgery for March 31... that would mean I had to fast and drink that nasty stuff on March 30... that's our wedding anniversary and there was NO WAY I was going to be fasting on that day, ha!

Surgery then re-scheduled for April 6, 2006 at 2:00 p.m. I get up that day and shower and try to relax knowing I had lots of time to get ready. I then get a phone call just as I am drying off from my shower. It's the hospital telling me "Why aren't you here yet, you should be here by now, you are having surgery at TEN!!" What the!?!?! NOBODY told me that!! So with all the hassles to get to this point... I throw on something and rush out the door. There was NO WAY I was NOT going to have this surgery today!!

All went well. All was removed that should of been. I was starving and the thought of another 'liquid meal' made me sick. The nurse snuck in some mashed potatoes for me and I lived. I was home within 30 hrs. and they had me up the evening of my surgery!!

I walked like a 98 yr. old for a few weeks. Exhausted by just shopping for half hour. This is normal they said. I had some pain with urination, mostly like my bladder was always full, I urinated like every 2 hrs. This is normal they said.

And here I am... 3 months post op. I've had some re-curring problems with hemmoroids, they said this is normal too... but it gets better for a while; then they come back again. Anyone else have that?????

I'm NOT on any hormone replacement therapy. My bone density scan was okay; I'm at a high risk though (Mom had hyster at age 29 back in the mid 1960's and has osteoporosis now, she's 71 yrs. old) and they just put me on 1500 units of calcium. So far, I guess I'm doing okay.

Sorry for rambling. Feel free to e-mail me if anyone has thoughts, questions, etc. I'm new here so I hope I didn't ramble too much, ha!

Take Care all,
JDLover73
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:05 AM

I had my surgery on July 20th. It went well - it took longer than they anticipated. I remember the nurse staff yelling at me to breathe. So I was put on oxygen right until I left. I did not receive the morphine pump right after surgery which I was told I would receive. i was in a lot of pain but by 3 or 4 the afternoon they gave me the pump and I got the pain under control. I went home the following day.

My DH has been taking great care of me. He was been wonderful. A delightful surprise. I have been sleeping alot. I still feel very nausea and menustral cramps. I have been using the heating pad - it helps alot.

I can't wait to feel normal again.
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM

I had an SAH, stayed in the Castle 2 nights/3 days. Went in for an LSH but uterus was way too large. Castle stay was very nice. Nurses and assistants were kind, understanding and helpful. Had a room to myself; an unexpected treat.

Staples came out on day 10. By day 14 returned to DR's office because incision was not closed all the way. Visiting nurse came to the house 3 times that week to pack open area and show me how to care for it. Back to DR's office the next week and he said it is healing nicely. Area is still not closed but even I can tell now that it has improved.

Just taking one day at time.

Blessed healing to all the Ladies out there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register