Lack of Sleep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lack of Sleep Lack of Sleep

Unread 09-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Lack of Sleep

The first two weeks of recovery went well. I hit the third week and I have not been able to get more than 3-4 hours of sleep. I can't fall asleep till 3:30 -5:30 am I wake up by 9-10am. I am like a walking ZOMBIE. I am not able to nap in the afternoon because I just can't sleep. I really do not want to take sleeping pills. Is this normal ? How long will it last. I seem to get very emotional theese days.I think it is because of the lack of sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Re: Lack of Sleep

After two weeks of taking Tylenol PM every night, the dr. told me to knock it off and put me on Ambien. I've been on it for 4 weeks. It makes me fall asleep, as long as there isnt any noise in the house. If anyone is listening to music or watching tv or talking, forget it. Sometimes I sleep through the night, sometimes I sleep until 2 or 3 a.m., occasionally I never doze off. Those are the worst - because I work 9 hour days and then have to come home and do all the shopping, cooking and cleaning.
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Hi! We had our surgery the same day. I know exactly how you feel. I still can't sleep and I have felt down a lot. I HATE sleeping pills. I have tried taking Benadryl but it leaves me so spacey. I have to get up early to get my kids off to school. I do go back to bed when they leave but it is nothing more than a nap. I want my normal sleep back!! Knowing that it's not just me helps. We are in this together
Hugs,
Jeanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM

There is nothing like the lack of sleep! It is so torturous. I'm sorry no real ideas for you but just wanted to let you know you are not alone!
Unread 09-03-2010, 04:08 AM

About week #3 of recovery I had sleep issues also, 1 tylenol pm about 9 pm...worked like a charm....slept restfully thru the night and did not wake up feeling icky...give it a try...
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM

tisane? like:
valerian (Radix Velerianae Valeriana offincinalis)
hop (Stroboli lupuli Humulus lupulus)
fennel (Fructus Foeniculi Foeniculum vulgare)
lavender (Flores Lavandulae)
st. john's wort (Herba Hyperici Hypericum perforatum )
...it would not hurt to give it a try
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks Ladies
I am so thankful for each and everyone of you. I really feel like we are all in this together. I am so thankful that I am not alone in my recovery.
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:31 AM

I had the sleep problem, too. I'd sleep maybe a total of 2 hours every night, then be awake the rest. I decided to enjoy it. I had me a book to read, and a stack of puzzle magazines to do while I watched tv.

I'd go to sleep at about 1 am, wake at about 3 am, awake for about 2 hours, finally feel tired enough to lay down, sleep for another 2 hours, on the average. Then another 2 hour nap in the middle of the day. I think it was the round the clock pain meds that messed up my sleep (Ibupofen and Vicodin). At about the 3 week mark, I started to taper off, by the fifth week, I was completely off. I'm just starting my 8 th week post op, and my sleeping pattern is pretty much back to normal. Now I'm fighting to stay awake because I go back to work next week, so my light night tv viewing is almost over.
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:58 AM

Im nine wks po,and the first five wks were bad ,id wake and start thinking about nothing ,and then get up ,every two hrs ,it does get better,but mines still going on ,i wont take sleeping pills ,because the night sweats are part of it know ,[last two weeks]and i think its all a part of menapause
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM

I am nearly 7 weeks post op (tah/bso) and I have major insomnia... It's 5.20am here in the UK and I am wide awake!!!! I am going out of my mind, had mild sleeping tablet for 4 weeks after op but trying to get in to normal patteren ... It's now working. Going back to docs on Monday morning and am gonna beg for more sleeping tablets. Fortunatly I have another 4 weeks off work but do have to do the school runs so need to be awake for them.... Just need to get in to normal sleep patteren soon :-(

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register