Not Scheduled Anesthesia Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anesthesia Question Anesthesia Question

Unread 05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Anesthesia Question

No surgery scheduled yet. Contemplating me-late July. This may be a crazy question, but here goes. I know during a partial hys you are asleep, but are you put to sleep breathing from a mask type apparatus, or is a tube placed down your throat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Re: Anesthesia Question

I had a LSH and was intubated. I think tha tis pretty standard for that type of surgery as they us CO2 gas to blow up your stomach so they can use the tools.
It might be different for open surgeries.

I had no problem from the intubation
Unread 05-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Charmed21,
Just to further elaborate--you are put to sleep with either medication through your IV or you are put to sleep with gas through a mask and then you get the tube down your throat (intubated). You will not remember being intubated, and they take the tube out before you are fully awake. It can be a scary thought, but it is the only was they can control your airway and it is much safer for them and for you. Hope this answers your question.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM

I agree with Willowstar. I got versed (sp) to help relax. It also makes your forget. I then went to ER and they put the mask on. I don't remember anything until I woke up and I shoudl say until later that night. It was all fuzzy. I did not have a sore throat from being intubated. I was on oxygen the day of surgery and most of the following day. That can dry you nose and throat. My throat was a bit sore from the oxygen but after it was off for about 8 hours it went away.
Unread 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks ladies, that helps a lot! It's minor in the scheme of things, but not it's one less thing to worry about! Now if I can get closer on a decision of myomectomy vs partial hysterectomy!
Unread 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM

I've been put under 3 times...and I never once remembered the or felt the endotracheal tube used for intubation...and I have generalized anxiety disorder and would obsess over that...the nurses and doctors don't want you getting sick or nauseated from fear over the tube being placed or being removed...which is why you never remember it going in or out...because you're knocked out...fear not...you will be just fine. The only sore throat I had was from being placed on my belly during the surgery (for a bone marrow harvest in my hip) and my throat was sore but it wasn't painful...just noticeable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register