Blood Loss During Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Loss During Surgery? Blood Loss During Surgery?

Unread 06-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Blood Loss During Surgery?

Does anyone happen to know the amount of blood that is lost during surgery (more specifically, for a TVH)? I have read about this "packing" that they stick in after surgery and wondered why they do that.....is it to stop the blood loss? Just curious....getting a wee bit nervous here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 02:15 PM

I had SAH/BSO and my surgeon told me I'd lost a lot of blood, had to have 2 units, not quite sure how much a unit is.
But it depends on how the surgery goes and any problems that might pop up, not everyone loses a lot of blood.
Not sure about the packing as mine was abdominal, but I would say one of the reasons is for the bleeding
Unread 06-05-2005, 03:25 PM

I read at a different site (not sure which one now) today that the average blood loss is 12 ounces. It seems like I also read that the packing was to reduce blood loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 03:25 PM

I had TVH with repairs and my op report says I lost less than 200 cc. If my poor metric to english conversion is correct, I think that's a little less than 7 ounces. They had to do my sling twice and the surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours, so that may be a bit more than a typical TVH. I was really surprised at how little blood was lost.
Ashley
Unread 06-05-2005, 03:32 PM

I had a TAH/LSO and lost very little blood. I would guess that, normally (in the absence of complications), a TVH would not result in much blood loss, either.

I'm just guessing, but i woukd seem to me that they use the packing for TVH like they use a big, bandage for TAH. I mean, they can't exactly stick a big ol' band-aid inside your tootie!

Ask your doc though, especially if it'll make you fell better to know for sure.
Unread 06-05-2005, 04:15 PM

Big 'ole band-aid in my tootie! That makes me laugh!! How about a clothespin on the cooch?!
Unread 06-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Hi Roz,

I had a TAH/BSO and the doctor told me I had minimal loss during surgery and that is was about 300/400 ml which was great.

Take care..................Karen
Unread 06-05-2005, 05:42 PM

I had a TAH and think I lost about 400 cc. Not too much. I didn't have any vaginal packing.
Unread 06-05-2005, 09:45 PM

I am having a TAH and my doctor told me that he expects I will lose 1 unit of blood. I forgot to ask him how much that is. He said that he doesn't worry unless a patient loses 3 units. Of course I am not bleeding or anemic either. I think that has a lot to do with it.
Debbie
Unread 06-05-2005, 11:11 PM
blood loss

Hello,
I had a TVH-BSO on 4/20/05 and my Dr told me blood loss would be about a cup. I did have the packing, and when they removed it, it was pretty much clean.

Tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register