whats the dif | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

whats the dif whats the dif

Unread 04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
whats the dif

I am at my 6 weeks post. I have either a hematoma or staff infection, but I dont feellike my doctor is being completely honest. Any suggestions? Whats the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
whats the dif

A hematoma is a localized collection of blood, usually clotted. A staph infection is a bacterial infection and an abcess would contain pus not blood. I would ask your doctor for more information if you feel confused. It's your body and you have a right to know.
Unread 04-24-2006, 10:25 PM
whats the dif

Thanks! I wasn't sure if there would be infection in the hematoma, because I have both blood and infection. My doctor isn't very forthcoming with information. As a matter of fact he told me today I was HIS WORST NIGHTMARE..... I think its time for another opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
whats the dif

if he said that,i would for sure get another one...i had my 3 surgery since jan26 due to cronic andominal infection,whch turned out to e MRSA-staph....i dont know the signs for a hematoma,but for my infection,a little piece of my incision had came open,and it was leaking...started out as clear drainage,which quicly changed to thick nasty green gunk litteraly pouring out of me....and it smelled HORRID...even bfore that,i felt horrible,for weeks..fever,no appitite at all for weeks..i had my tah in jan 26..took back into surgery on march 16 to re-open my incision,and drain the infection,half my incision was left open,and i was being packed 2 times a day...this morning,i went in for another surgery because the infection has goten so bad,it ate a tunnel deep into my abdomin..at this this,they have my whole entire incision open,and its also going to be packed 2 times a day untill it heals,and we pray it dont abcess again..he did tell my hubby if it does abcess again,i will have to go back in....if you suspect you have any infeciton,please consult another doc...this is very serious,nd if not takin care of,you can become very very ill....best of luck to you...sonie
Unread 04-25-2006, 12:10 AM
whats the dif

Yes, a hematoma can become infected. I don't know what your doctor is referring to when he says you're "his worst nightmare" -- not a very professional statement, and one that does you no good at all -- but you need a fresh perspective and someone to look into this. I would listen to (((Sonie))) -- she's been through he-- and back with infection issues and she knows what she is talking about. Infections are NOTHING to fool with -- and I suspect you may be dealing with infection since you're so far out. Are you running any sort of fever? Not that it matters, as infection can be localised, but it is easier to treat if you're not running a fever (which can indicate that it has spread).

You need to be seen and have this "blood" if you are still draining cultured, so you and your doctors know what you are dealing with. It's a bit scary to think you might be released for normal activities without looking into this. Does your doctor have another doctor in the practice, or do you have a GP/internist who can help you find someone else? I think, if you report this statement to your regular doctor (or to his/her nurse), they should be able to help you find another consultation to take a look at you and get a second opinion.

Please do take this seriously -- even if your doctor won't. Infections happen to the best of doctors; it's part of the consent we sign. But the expectation is that you will be properly treated -- and it doesn't sound like your doctor is taking your symptoms as seriously as they (and you) deserve...

Big s. Let us know what happens, OK?

Audrey

P.S. (((Sonie))) -- Back to bed!!
Unread 04-25-2006, 07:36 AM
whats the dif

Thanks for the comments. Wow! Sonie thanks for the wake up call. I know that an infection is serious, but I guess I have just been following my GYN's lead. I go back to him on Thurs. and will take the advise of a fellow sister and stand on his desk if I have to. I have also made an appointment to see my FP next week. I am on my second round of antibiotics. Today is 6 week post and I am running out of patience. You guys are a soft place to land. MUCH THANKS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register