Scheduled LAVH What to do with my hair? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do with my hair? What to do with my hair?

Unread 11-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Re: What to do with my hair?

I showered the morning of the surgery and allowed my hair to air dry without "product" and touched up the front with a curling iron. I carried a brush and some snap type barrettes and just pulled the front back as soon as I was in my room. Easy to do without a mirror and sitting in bed. Also easy to repair after sleeping on it some. I always felt '"presentable".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2010, 10:13 PM

My surgery was five weeks ago. I was told no hairspray, perfume, deodorant, lotion or makeup YIKES! I still took a shower that morning with their special ab soap. I washed and conditioned my hair and styled it as I normally do and felt ok going into surgery not looking like I rolled out of bed. Vanity I know Didn't matter much to anyone but me. My 16yr old daughter told me I looked like a crack head when I came home LOL! Not that she would know what one looks like but I guess I was quite a site. Oh, well can't blame a girl for trying.
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:12 AM

I washed my long hair the morning of surgery and put in a little mousse, then did a french braid down the center. I took elastic bands to the hospital and a few barrettes. After the first shower the day after surgery, I took out the braid to comb my hair and just pulled back the top and sides into a barrette. It worked okay and was reasonably comfortable and presentable. I had what started out as LSH, but turned into SAH due to unexpected complications...was in the hospital 3 days. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:13 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!! I finally got my OR date scheduled and this was at the top of my "personal things to look after" list.

I am terrified and I know I shouldn't care but I do. I had to cut my hair shorter because the meds they had me on caused a fair amount of thinning; however, I am going to get the front braided (kind of like the style ppl get when they go to Jamaica or Bahamas on holiday) and may consider the rest but I don't want to risk a hair headache.

I have barrettes, head bands and piles of elastics I can bring with me. Unfortunately, my mum is not good with hair so I am on my own! :-S

Thanks again ladies! You made me feel better tonight!
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThursdaysChild View Post
Hello, I know this may sound like a dumb/vain questions but I am scheduled for a LAVH and on the emergency cancellation call list so I could go in at any time... this said, anyone have any suggestions about what I can do with my hair?

Seriously, I am the type of woman who likes to look my best at all times. It is something that lifts my spirits when I am sad or sick. Going in for a pretty major surgery is a big deal and with at least 3 days in the hospital, I would like to know what others would suggest that I do to keep it comfortably off my face or at least neat and tidy.

I really hope someone can understand where I am coming from here... it is just one of those things where I know I will look like poop and not care, but knowing my hair is somewhat looking nice or at least tidy will make me feel better...
I wore heels home from my LAVH this week. The male nurse who wheeled me out said that I should reconsider heels during my recovery. I said, "they can take my Uterus, but, they can't take my heels"... (Besides I'm in a wheelchair!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register