Question on nightshirts & undies with TVH w/ A& P repairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on nightshirts & undies with TVH w/ A& P repairs Question on nightshirts & undies with TVH w/ A& P repairs

Unread 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Question on nightshirts & undies with TVH w/ A& P repairs

I have a question about abdominal swelling with a TVH w/ A&P Repairs and a TVT.

I am rescheduled for 07/07. I had unexpected pancreatitis and gallbladder removal last week and although my weight is below my presurgical weight by 5 lbs I have a swollen abdomen.

I had purchased cotton undies one size larger based on info from this site and immediately sent DH to the store during my surgery because I realized they were way to tight. I found the silky bikini cut in my regular size to work fine for this recovery. But I realize most of the work was higher abdomen. Is there the same swelling for a TVH?

As far as night wear goes I am 1 week post gall bladder surgery and still find pj's irratating. Nightshirts are much more comfortable. I stayed in the hospital gowns during my week stay last week. They preferred it and it was much easier to remove due to IV.

I hope this isn't confusing. I am just unsure how much swelling to expect so I can plan appropriately.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM

I'm 17 days post-op and had a LAVH. I was able to wear my 'granny' panties when i came home (was afraid to try my bikini cut ones). I am now wearing my bikini cut ones again. I haven't really noticed a lot of swelling but DBF said he could tell I was a little swollen. Plus I wore sweat pants for awhile because the top of them was above my belly incisions. Hope this helps and good luck to you!
Unread 05-24-2008, 01:48 AM

I had a TVH and was back into my skinny cut jeans on day 4 post op. Get the gas out by walking, walking, walking and more walking and eating apples, oatmeal and carrots and you will be fine. Mylicon tablets help too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2008, 04:58 AM

Okay so there isn't much swelling with the TVH? Sorry hope you don't mind that I jumped in on your question but it seemed to fit....lol..
Unread 05-24-2008, 07:55 AM

There is not a lot of swelling from a TVH.....just the gas bloating at first, but after that it is fine.
Unread 05-24-2008, 08:23 AM

Recovery is a very individual thing. You don't have the problems with incisions on the outside when you have a TVH but there is still a lot going on inside. I do not want to throw cold water on the discussion but think you should hear both sides.

I am at 20 wks and I still have problems with swelly belly. Especially if I am very active. I cannot wear my pre-op pants for a whole day. I bought some dress slacks from Sag Harbor a size larger than normal that have a flat front but have some elastic on the sides. They are the most comfortable to wear all day. They are a little baggy but look better than sweats.

I am seeing my gastroenterologist soon to see if there is any other contributing factors to this on-going problem, but I know that there are others who have had the swelling problem, too.

Oh, and as to the night wear, I found some T-shirt type nightshirts at Walmart. Very inexpensive and very comfortable. I got XXlarge just to make sure.
Unread 05-24-2008, 08:39 AM
tightie whities

OK This sounds absurd, but, I borrowed my hubands tightie whities for a couple of days and they felt great. He is 6'2" 210 pounds. I am 5'2" and around 130 lbs. Believe it or not the pad (sanitary napkin) fit perfectly where his manhood should go. So just another suggestion that might work for some.

Natalie
Unread 05-24-2008, 11:04 AM

I go in next week for TAH (with faint hopes of TVH). I picked up the grannie panties & sum nities from Costco 2 for $17 - very stretchie and good length & boob coverage. I am also concerned about swelly belly so I went out and bought some cheap empire waist cotton sun dresses & a couple drawstring cotton skirts (Walmart $14) so the whole pant/shorts thing won't be an issue & I can be comfy & feel girlie. Sorry to hear about your back 2 back surguries - you are being such a good sport!
Unread 05-24-2008, 09:45 PM

Hello!
I had very little swelling with my TVH. I thought the whole surgery was a piece of cake for me anyway. I went in thinking the worst( as in pain, big belly,) and it wasn't bad. I felt like my old self in a few days. I could tell the evening of my surgery that my uterus was gone, I felt so much better. My belly was actual a little smaller than before.

My surgery was on May7th, I had a spinal so I stayed in bed the old evening/night, by morning I was getting up and taking my shower, putting on my clothes and leaving the castle. I just used the hospital gown. I also had very little bleeding. I thought that I would have a ton, but I think I only used 2 pads. I did have and still do have a little discharge, but not bad.

I hope this helps, I am about to fall asleep, so I hope it also makes some sense!!!!

Good Luck!
The hardest part for me was not driving for 2 weeks!
Unread 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM

I had a TVH May 7th and did have a little bit of swelly belly. i am still wearing loose fitting dresses just because my tummy is sore. I am able to wear my normal undergarments, but nothing tight.
i drove tonight for about 50 miles and had to slam my brakes on once. my hubby had to drive us back home because I was having cramps in the lower pelvic area. i haven't had cramps in about a week. i hope I didn't pull any stitches. Are you walking real slow still after 2 weeks of surgery? I feel like my belly is just like jiggling jello. It hurts after I walk for awhile and I tire real easy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register