Surgery Scheduled....have ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Scheduled....have ?? Surgery Scheduled....have ??

Unread 04-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Surgery Scheduled....have ??

Hi, I am new to this board. I have surgery scheduled for a complete on June 12th.

My original problem was cysts developing when I ovulated, so they tried suppressing that with b/c--horrible mistake. DAILY migraines. I have gone through so much Imitrex it isn't funny!!

Then tried Lupron shots. Third one is next Tuesday. Helps with the migraines, but I am still cycling and getting cysts.

My pg ended prematurely, and due to medical reasons, I got a tubal done right away (another pg would result in death most likely.) I am READY for the surgery, ready for all of this to stop.

Basic questions:
1. OBGYN said they are taking ovaries, uterus, everything including the cervix. I thought the cervix was a "place" not a "thing". How can they remove my cervix?

2. Will I be able to do basic care for my 3-yr old when I come home? She will be at daycare during the day.

3. Will I be able to climb steps (bedroom upstairs)?

4. Will the HRT cause migraines?

Other info: I have significant adhesions, and I am in generally poor fitness (UGH!). HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 05:12 PM
Hi Robin

Welcome to Hystersisters. Thank you for posting.
I am sorry you have been through so much. But glad you have found us.
Please check out the pull down menu's on the Home Page. There is alot of information there on what to expect and plan for in both the pre and post surgery phases.
To answer some of your questions that I have copied here:

1. OBGYN said they are taking ovaries, uterus, everything including the cervix. I thought the cervix was a "place" not a "thing". How can they remove my cervix?
The cervix is actually the lower portion of the uterus that provides the canal between the vagina and cervix. Think of the uterus as an upside down pear.

2. Will I be able to do basic care for my 3-yr old when I come home? She will be at daycare during the day. 3 Year old's are pretty active and need alot of care and attention. If at all possible please arrange for someone to help you atleast for the first few weeks. You will be tired and needing extra rest in order to recover well. Remember this is major surgery and you will have alot of internal stitches.

3. Will I be able to climb steps (bedroom upstairs)?
You are really going to want to limit the starrs if you cannot avoid them altogether. Once a day if necessary. Just take it slow and easy. You do not want to be going up and down alot those first few weeks.

4. Will the HRT cause migraines?
The right HRT prescription for you should not cause migraines. Some women do well with what they are first prescribed and others have to experiment a bit. Please vist the Hormone Jungle to get an idea what is available.

Other info: I have significant adhesions, and I am in generally poor fitness (UGH!). HELP!!! Many of us are in less than perfect shape when we have this procedure. Women of all shapes and sizes and fitness levels have come through this just fine. If you can, start a walking program before your surgery. Walking is important in the recovery stage too. This will allow you to get a head start.

Please keep reading and posting. Knowledge will bring you some confidence and peace of mind in what to expect.

We are here for you. You are going to do just fine.

Unread 04-24-2002, 06:38 PM

Hi Robin welcome to Hyster Sisters!

About the stairs, you didn't say if you were having a TAH or TAV surgery. I climbed the stairs on my first day home, with my hubby helping me. One step at a time, with both feet. Slow going. We have 20 stairs, 10 then a landing, then 10 more. That was the hardest thing I think. Not painful, just hard to do. It will make a difference depending on the surgery you have.

I would definitely suggest, like Shelley did, having someone come in and help you with your kiddo. 3 is active, you know that! Plus, you won't be able to drive for a while. You will have a follow-up appt. after the surgery though, some are 2 weeks after some are 3 or 4 weeks. Do you know when your follow-ups are? I had one at 2 weeks and one at 7 weeks.

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 06:49 PM

Well, heck - Shelley and Sara said everything I would have said :-) Great minds think alike! Since they did, I'll just say welcome, Robin. Put this next month and a half to good use and get yourself in a bit better shape than you feel you are now if you can (chase that 3 yr old around a bit :-). Oh, and do realize you won't be able to pick her up for a while afterward, too - another reason you'll want help. Let someone else do the hard stuff, and you just cuddle with her while you heal!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register