i need some answers please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i need some answers please i need some answers please

Unread 04-12-2004, 11:03 PM
i need some answers please

Hi, I am 21 yrs old. i have already had cervical cancer. went through surgery for that.. they think it is gone.. but now.. my doc thinks i might have something in my uterus that is causing bleeding while havin intercorse with my b/f.. i have my tubes tied already.. now.. my biggest question is if i do have to have a hyst. do you get to keep your cervix.. or is a like a void up in there.. and when havint intercorse and not using a condom.. where exactly does it go? i am confused and scared that my life style might change.. could you please help me.. thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2004, 11:17 PM
hang in there!

Unfortunately I do not have any real answers to your questions but I can tell you that the type of hysterectomy you have will determine if you keep your cervix or not. I believe if you have an abdominal hsyt then you can keep your cervix but if you have a vag hyst then I think they take your cervix (at least that is what I have gathered through the reading I have done while researching my own LAVH surgery). I have worried quite a bit about the sex afterwards and how exactly this surgery will impact my everyday life. Listening to the wonderful women on this site has increased my confidence that life will return to normal post-op. I am sending prayers and positive thoughts your way, hang in there!
Unread 04-13-2004, 12:48 AM

TAH-cervix can stay..TVH/LAVH- cervix must go..i believe with a Supracervical hysterectomy the cervix stays....someone correct me if i'm mistaken.......if the cervix is taken whats known as a vaginal cuff is created (top of the vagina-where the cervix was-is sewn shut)...during intercourse, semen goes no farther than the vagina...........if you keep your ovaries, the egg that is released every month (if your ovaries are healthy and functioning), is absorbed by the body......all of your questions should also be brought to the attention of your surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 07:37 AM

Welcome to hystersisters! This site is AWESOME! I am so sorry you have to go thru all this at such a young age.

dg2901 is correct in her info. I'd like to add that if you had cervical cancer in the past, I'd assume they would remove it to take away all chances of the cancer coming back. I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago(and feel GREAT, by the way) They removed my cervix and 1 ovary. They do stitch closed the top of the vagina so it's not a tunnel into space LOL.

I haven't had sex yet, but from all my readings in the post-op section, it appears as if theres a very good chance neither I nor my Dh will notice the cervix is gone.
Unread 04-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Opaque is right, if you've had a cancer scare with your cervix you should really consider having it removed. I am having a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy). They will remove my cervix (I too had a cancer scare) and I will keep my ovaries if possible.

Welcome to this wonderful site. Feel free to ask any questions on your mind.
Unread 04-13-2004, 09:10 AM

I'm having a supracervical hyst and keeping my cervix. Doctor said it would help with my sex drive and also help prevent my chances of a vaginal prolapse, shorter recovery time and less pain after surgery.
Unread 04-13-2004, 09:31 AM

I'm having a laparoscopic subtotal hyst, meaning that the cervix will stay. This means that all the "support structures" will remain in place, so problems like bladder prolapse won't happen down the road. I won't have an abdominal incision, just the lap "holes", so my dr. says that my recovery time will be somewhat abbreviated. (I still expect to have fatigue, etc, for several weeks, but I'm grateful that I won't have a huge incision to worry about.) However, with the cancer history your dr. probably would want to take the cervix too. I don't know if that can be done laparoscopically or not.

I expect this surgery to help our sex life DRAMATICALLY! I have endo and likely adeno, which of course means I bleed all the time, and sex just makes it worse. While DH professes that he doesn't mind, I certainly do! I'm sure lots of you understand: on that one good day when you're NOT bleeding, you sure don't want to set if off by having sex.

Welcome to the site, Neon...it is a wonderful place full of great info.
Unread 04-13-2004, 09:47 AM

I've been doing lots of reading about how sex will change after the surgery. I think every woman experiences things differently.

Personally I look forward to having sex that is not painful. Sorry for the graphic nature of this, but i gotta be honest here. Any deep thrusting action at this point nearly kills me. I feel like my DH is going to have to peel me off the ceiling one of these days.

I am losing my cervix, so I think there may be some differences in orgasm, as I tend to feel them very deeply, with lots of uterine contractions. So, I am going in to this with my eyes wide open :eyes:, and a very positive attitude. I am willing to give in a little on the mind-blowing orgasms to live my life on a daily basis without constant pain.

There is lots of reading material out there on how your body MAY react to surgery. This includes sex before and after. I feel that by educating ourselves, we can only be better patients.

I am so sorry that this is happening to you when you are so young. However I wish I had been more proactive and forceful when it came to my condition at your age. Maybe if I had, then my problems wouldn't be so severe now (I'm 33).
My thoughts are with you hon....really. Keep asking all the questions you need to. The ladies here are very wise, and are from all different age groups and have all different perspectives.

Take care
Tam
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks Sisters

thanks for your info.. i have really been able to calm down after reading your answers.. i was just afraid that my sex life would be changed.. i was scared about where things would go.. or if ya know.. its just a never ending tunnel.. i didnt want that.. i figured that since i had stage 3 cancer.. that i would have to get rid of it.. but now that i know i will still have a top lol.. i wont be pushing the phone away when the family yells at me to call and make the appointment n e more.. i mean.. for every year since 13.. i have had something medical.. and i am just tired.. i just hope that after i have a hyst..( if i need one at this time) i wont have as many medical problems.. well thanks sisters.. your wonderfull people.. you almost made me cry with your wishes and hope..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register