After hysterectomy weight restrictions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After hysterectomy weight restrictions After hysterectomy weight restrictions

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
After hysterectomy weight restrictions

Hello ladies;

I am curious about something....once a woman has a hysterectomy is there a limit as to how much weight she can pick up and carry?

I occasionally have to help my Mom and sisters with moving hay bales a 50 pound bags of grain; so does that mean no more carrying bags of grain or large bags of dog food?

Would I still be able to lift a fairly light english saddle???

My family has horses and dogs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Re: After hysterectomy weight restrictions

I have weight restrictions, but had more surgery than a hysterectomy itself. I also had BSO, AP repairs and a TOT sling. My gyn doctor is limiting me to 25 pounds for the rest of my life. I'm waiting to see what my urologist says. After talking to him, if he says 30 or 40 pounds, which is what I've heard as more common for someone who's had a sling procedure, then I'm going to ask my gyn doctor why she's being so restrictive. I do have fibromyalgia and the connective tissue type of Ehlers Danlos, so that may be the reason, but I can't even pick up my grandchildren and that upsets me. I've seen others who lift as much as you're asking about so I think it depends on the patient and the physician.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the response Joining for support. I was at my doctor's on Tuesday and forgot to ask. I guess I will wait and ask her when I go in for my annual or call them tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM

My doc gave me a 25 pound weight limit forever too. I am noticing as time goes by I just lift with caution and keep lifting within reason.
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. i really appreciate it.
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

pngindian,
We have the same hyster date. What all did you have done? Just curious since your doctor told you 25 pounds, too. Maybe studies have shown that 40 pounds was too much and people were having to have repeat sling procedures after 10 years. At least I know I was told prior to surgery that if I overdo it after surgery I could end up having to have the sling done again 10-15 years down the road. No thanks! I'll be good!
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM

I asked my Dr this at my pre-op appt and she told me that since I was only having a hyster, no weight restrictions. She said that was for people who have bladder stuff done.
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks hyst4mee: I really appreciate the information.

I had a TAH with one ovary removed so I had no other slings etc etc etc. Just hearing those words makes me nervous.
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM

I had a TAH with both ovaries removed and my doc said 20 pounds for life. Evidently, the more you lift and the more often you lift, the chance of prolapse increases. Certainly don't want that to happen!
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks bellecoco:
I had figured that there would be a weight limit but I had heard so many mixed opinions. Now I know what my cousin meant when she said no more carrying 50 lbs of horse feed.

I also would not like to have a prolapse.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register