My "Don't know what I'd do without them" Top 10 list | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My "Don't know what I'd do without them" Top 10 list My "Don't know what I'd do without them" Top 10 list

Unread 03-21-2014, 10:21 PM
My "Don't know what I'd do without them" Top 10 list

Today is one week since my TAH. I did so much research on here and am so glad I did. I would not have been able to make it - comfortably - through the last week without the following items.

1. the abdominal binder they sell thru this site. Unfortunately I bought both the regular & ice pack ones not realizing when you take out the ice pack it IS a regular one. But they have REALLY helped support my belly especially on the car ride home! Been a lifesaver during my walks. Noe: I am 5'3" and 165 and the princess/x-princess is perfect

2. a medical recliner! I read someone mention this and called my local med supply company. They didn't have a any available so I had to go to the next town over, which incurred a higher delivery fee. But $95 for the month and $45 delivery was THE best money I ever spent. They set it up for you - it has helped me get up without assistance and has been my bed all week. I am typing from it right now. I also rented a hospital table for $35 for the whole month. It's been by the side of my recliner for meds, water, books etc. and will help as a real tray table when I get to be in bed. Call EARLY and reserve! You will not regret it!

3. shower chair. Made hubby go out and get one after I got home. $58 at the local med supply store. Has a back support (much needed) - my sis gave me my first couple of showers, and today I did it all by myself

4. Colace & Gas-X. Mention to the nurse right away that you want to start these. The colace they already had planned for me but I request the Gas x (they call it mylicon, a nice chewy mint tablet) - I HAD ZERO GAS which believe it or not was one of my worst fears. I finally "went" yesterday (had to add miralax on the 5th day)

5. Peppermint tea.Find a good organic tea and bring some bags to the hospital. The pre op nurse actually suggested it and I am so glad she did. Peppermint is good to settle the belly too. I have had a cup every night.

6. The eye mask for sale on this site. I bought it on a whim and AM I EVER GLAD. The machine in your hospital room will have BRIGHT lights. This helped block them out. You're not gonna get much sleep with them coming in to check your vitals and such so this helped me get more snooze time in. It's actually super comfy.

7. Lightweight cotton robe for hospital. I did not want to be one of the women grabbing around their back to keep the moon from showing I found a great one at Kohl's with my 30% off coupon

8. "Boyfriend" sweats from Victoria's Secret. These run SUPER BIG and are so comfy. I am 5'3" and 165 and the medium are super big on me. This is what I wore to/from the hospital and what I wear when I need to go out. Otherwise I live in my nightshirts when I am home.

9. granny panties. You will NOT be cute but comfort is where it's at. I bought a size 9 (2XL according to Hanes) and probably could have gotten a 10 for more room

10. Soft blankets & an accent pillow. Kohl's has crazy clearance in their bedding department. I got a few blankets marked down from $39 to $7 plus my coupon! I also shopped the "accent pillow" section and got a small rectangular pillow that SAVED MY LIFE (ok that may be a little drama) when I needed to cough.

If I think of anything else I will let you know but just BE READY so that you don't scramble and have to spend one moment being uncomfortable by not being prepared. HAVE FUN WITH IT and if you have time, start a GIFT REGISTRY of items you need as a "goodbye" party for your lady parts

I also started a meal train on Facebook and had my 1st 2 weeks covered in just a few days. Everyone was asking "let me know what I can do to help" so I let them know! People WANT to help so don;t be shy - it gives them an avenue in which to help and was SUCH a blessing. My husband CAN AND DOES cook, but was wiped out emotionally from taking care of me (bless his heart he's just not a natural nurse) so that was one less thing he had to worry about.

Do what you can to be prepared to make your recovery easier. It's better to do it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register