Blood Transfusion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Transfusion Blood Transfusion

Unread 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Blood Transfusion

7 days yesterday that I had my hysterectomy. During surgery I lost a lot of blood, it seems a large section of my bladder and uterus were attached. My count was 24, Now that I'm at home I started to have heart palpitations and shortness in breath. I have no steps in my house that I use.

I'm just trying to decide if I should wait or do the transfusion. I'm have been taking it really easy.

So has anyone every come into this problem?

Thanks
Alice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Re: Blood Transfusion

((Alice))

I had my surgery on a Tuesday. On Thursday we discovered a large bulge on my abdomen and my doctor said I had internal bleeding and I was not being released as planned! I was no longer allowed to get out of bed except to use the bathroom.

My symptoms included heart palpitations, racing pulse (120ish resting!), high blood pressure, and blacking out when I would stand up. My hemoglobin had dropped to a 7.5 and my doctor hoped that my body would recoup on its own. By Sunday, I had blacked out one time too many and he stated I had to have a blood transfusion because I was too symptomatic. That afternoon, I received two pints of blood.

Unfortunately for me, my problem wasn't all from anemia issues, but my hemoglobin jumped to 11.

I would suggest putting a call in to your doctor. Let him/her know all the symptoms you are experiencing and ask what you should do.

From what I went through, do be careful when going from sitting to standing, try to have someone with you, just in case you do pass out, avoid stimulants (including caffeine), and definitely take it easy including no walking until you have spoken with your doctor.

Do let us know what your doctor says!

Unread 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM

I'm so sorry... please take care of yourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM

What is your hemoglobin level? Normal is 12-16.

I am very anemic due to malabsorbtion issues caused by gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago. I had a CBC (complete blood count) about a month prior to surgery. My hemoglobin was 7.3. My doctor prescribed 325 mg of iron 3 times a day. She said she wanted my HGB to be at least 9 before my LAVH. The day before surgery, it was 8.8, which was good enough for her. I too lost a lot of blood during surgery. My HGB dropped back down to 7.4. We talked about getting a blood transfusion, but since I was no longer going to be having heavy periods and I was already taking the iron, she felt that my HGB would be back to normal soon. She was right. At my 2 wk check-up, it was already up to 10. I'm still really tired a lot, but no longer get light headed or have dizzy spells.

A couple of years ago, my HBG got down to 5.1 before I knew what the problem was. I was extremely tired, developed a heart murmur,shortness of breath, had ulcers in my throat, had trouble swallowing......it was like I "forgot" how to swallow (weird, I know), and couldn't bend over without nearly passing out. I went to the doctor for a sore throat, and his PA thought I might be anemic and ordered a CBC for me. I went back to work and was called back almost immediately. I was told to get to the hospital ASAP for a blood transfusion. My doctor told me I was walking around with about half the amount of blood in body than I should have. He said he was surprised I was even walking at all and said I was at great risk for a stroke. Scared the poo out of me!! I checked myself into the hospital and received 2 units of blood. It raised my level to 8.1. As long as I take my iron LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO, my levels are ok, but sometimes I get a little lazy or forget to take it.

I would definitely call your doctor and let him know what your symptoms are. If he doesn't want you to have a blood tranfusion you might want to consider taking some iron to help build up your levels faster. You don't need a prescription for it either.

Continue to take it easy! Hope you feel better soon!

Leah
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:19 AM

(((Ladies))) taking iron for anemia can be a good idea, but don't do it without your DR's OK, no matter that it's available OTC. Reason? Because once we no longer have periods, we no longer have a way to rid our bodies of excess iron, and it's easy for it to build up to toxic levels rather quickly. My DRs told me after my hysterectomy to only take multivitamins labeled "Over 50" - ie, that do not contain iron.

-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register