Seeking advice about taking Percocet (recovering alcoholic) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seeking advice about taking Percocet (recovering alcoholic) Seeking advice about taking Percocet (recovering alcoholic)

Unread 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Seeking advice about taking Percocet (recovering alcoholic)

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I'll have seven months sober on the second. I was given percoset when I was released from the hospital last friday. I quit taking them on Monday because of the constipation and resulting hemeroids. I'm aching all over and can't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time. Any suggestions? I'm scared to death that my addiction will jump from alcohol to pills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM

I am 2 weeks post op, and I just had my doctor call in a rx for more pain meds (I was taking Percocet, but she ordered Darvocet, saying that is slightly less hard core). Yesterday I started having lots of sharp pains and my bleeding increased. After talking to my doctor, she said it sounds like there is a pooling of blood and fluid, causing a painful bruise inside. Every one heals differently, as we are all different. For me, I only take the smallest dose, and only if I try ibuprofen first and I still have pain. Just be careful with the narcotics, as they can be very addictive if used improperly. Listen to your body, and keep an open communication with your doctor so you can have a good partnership in managing your pain. Take care!
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM

I'm 3 weeks post. I take Darvocet around 10 pm, 3 200 mg Ibuprofen around 6 am, and again two more times usually throughout the day. At times I will take 1/2 Vicodin during day if needed, as it makes me less foggy/tired. I still feel slight achey feeling most of the time but it is getting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM

I was 11 weeks yesterday and still having pain. I usually take Norco every 4 hours or so. I try to take ˝ a pill, but sometimes the pain is just too much. I would stay away from darvocet, norco, vicodin if you struggles in the past. My husband has real trouble taking those pain meds bcuz you can get addicted very quickly.
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Hi RapunzelINKS and

We're so happy you joined the Hystersisters community! As you undoubtedly can already tell from the caring and supportive replies you have already received, you have many (((sisters))) here to help 24/7 with open arms.

My only additional suggestion would be to phone your surgeon's office tomorrow and ask to speak with his/her nurse. Ask the questions you asked here, and if you feel up to it, come back and share with us what you find out. And remember, to take very good care of yourself during this delicate, early post-op recovery time.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM

has your dr suggested 800mg motrin in place of the pain meds? that can really take the edge off of the pain and help with swelling. you'd be surprised how much it can help. you might want to give your dr's office a call and ask about it.
congrats on your sobriety...wishing you the best.
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Hi Rapuzel,

You are right to be concerned about the pain meds being a recovering alcoholic - and it's not just the addiction issue itself. My Father is a recovered alcoholic been sober for nearly 20 years but he cannot take any of this type of medication as it changes his moods, and behavior, my father was the angry violent type when he was drinking and certain meds bring about the exact same behavior and moods.

You may not have had the same issues with regards to your drinking but I only wanted to mention so that you could proceed with caution

If you notice any adverse reactions let your dr know immediately, and try something else. Be sure and let him know about your unique situation, and then follow his advise and directions to the T. You and he will work together to ensure the proper medication, dosages and length of need to help ensure you don't become dependant upon them.

Keep in mind you are not alone -we all need to heed the same advice when it comes to pain meds but those with addiction issues should be extra careful, and it couldn't hurt to discuss with in your recovery meetings, with your sponsor etc. And don't forget your hyster sisters we are here for you too!!!

Wishing you much success in your recoveries!
Take care of yourself
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM

I stopped vicodin third day after surgery due to constipation and was able to manage with the 800 mg ibuprofin that the doctor prescribed. Perhaps you might want to try it. Congratulations on being 7 months sober.
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Dear RapunzelINKS,

I don't know much about this topic, but I do want to salute you for your awareness, your self-love and your courage in acknowledging the reality of your situation. You are an inspiration.

Goldie
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue
has your dr suggested 800mg motrin in place of the pain meds? that can really take the edge off of the pain and help with swelling. you'd be surprised how much it can help. you might want to give your dr's office a call and ask about it.
congrats on your sobriety...wishing you the best.

Hi......I ditto dressedupinblue's comment....800 Motrin did wonders for me...my body does not tolerate any other pain meds, so I was very happy that this took away any discomfort after the first few days of taking stronger meds....Congrats on your recovery...stay strong....I know too well, have had much addiction issues in VERY close loved ones, and yes it is correct to be concerned that your addiction can switch from one substance to another very easily....but you are still on the right track as you remain aware of possible consequences.....call doc and explain, do not be afraid or ashamed to admit your fear of relapse of any kind......hopefully the Motrin, prescription strength will be just what you need to take edge off and each day you should feel a little better....let us know how it goes....good luck in your recovery...wishing you all the best!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register