Do they pack down there always? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do they pack down there always? Do they pack down there always?

Unread 07-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Do they pack down there always?

The only concern I have from my TVH on July 1 is I had read that they pack you with gauze down there. Well the nurse came in and said that she was going to take my catheter out and the packing. Well when she took the packing out there was only a little bit. I didn't look to see what it was but only took her a second to take it out and it wasn't big at all.

My concern is, is there more in there? I tried calling the dr. office but my doctor is on vacation. I made my 2 week post-op appointment for the 17th and am too chicken to look or feel down there to see if there really is anything in there. Please let me know if you were packed and how much was in there. I don't have any fever or anything so I don't have any infection so far. Not having any bleeding either. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Re: Do they pack down there always?

HI there,
I had packing in for 24hours after my TVH and rectocele repair. Not sure which it was for but probably the repair job. Once it was removed it was all gone and I started to bleed a bit--still am at 18days post op but it is changing colour to brown now
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:02 AM

I had packing for TVH and rectocele repair too, but it was a TON of it. Seemed like 12 ft before it was done. I was told the packing was mainly for the repair, to keep the sutures from sticking to the vaginal wall, and to control bleeding. If you just had a TVH perhaps the packing was only minimal. I can't imagine they'd leave anything in there as that would be a huge infection risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM

I too had packing. I remember her pulling what seemed like a lot, but it was all one piece. I think that if it just appeared to be a little, then that is probably all there was. I think that you would have some type of odor or other symptoms if there was any gauze left.
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:03 PM

I had a TVH and there was no packing. I agree, they wouldn't leave anything because of a risk of infection.
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:21 AM

I had packing also. They put it in there to put pressure on the incisions to stop bleeding. They usually put in a LOT of packing and takes a bit to get it all out. I had packing in both areas due to surgery

I can't imagine that they'd leave any in you. But, I guess I'd be worried too if you are even thinking they didn't get it all out.
Amy
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:28 AM

Do you feel like there is sometingthere? I think it is only one roll and they oull it until the roll unravals.
Unread 07-10-2009, 06:46 AM

When i had my packing removed, it was done with a pair of large tweezers and felt like a big tampon coming out--didn't hurt at all.
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:13 AM

I only had a TVH but had a quick glance at the packing when the nurse pulled it all out & there was heaps! Seemed to take her forever, she even asked 1/2 way through if I needed her to stop for a minute as it really wasn't very comfortable.

After it was all out it felt so much better, I would think that you would be able to feel if there was any left in & I certainly can't see why they would leave packing in there, too much risk of infection.
Unread 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM

I had a tvh also and like the other girls it was a huge roll that was uncomfortable when it was taken out it! the nurse seemed to have been pulling on it quite some time. I dont know if everyone gets a different amount used they told me I had excessive bleeding from taking my uterus out I have not bleed once since the packing came out> I suggest you ask doc

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register