The Flip Side :) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Flip Side :) The Flip Side :)

Unread 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
The Flip Side :)

Something occurred to me today that I just had to share.

I know that everyone's hysterectomy story turns out differently; for some it's a smoother process than for others. Sometimes there are bumps along the road and a hysterectomy may not offer 100% relief of symptoms....

But I have to say: My uterus can no longer interfere with my life! Going forward I may still have some issues with pain but it won't be because of my uterus. The pelvic varices may cause me grief, but at least the adenomyosis and hyperplasia have been dealt with, with ultimate finality. Hey, two out of three ain't bad!!!

I'm just now realizing how MUCH my uterus controlled every aspect of my life - relationships, physically, self-esteem, outlook and attitude.

I can think more clearly than I've been able to in YEARS!! I feel the essence of my self coming back to me, more every day....I'm starting to smile more, joke around and have fun again! I can't tell you what this means to me.

There are hard days to be sure. I know that there will be hard days ahead; it's not all sunshine and rainbows. But, I just had to give the surge of positivity I'm feeling inside a voice.

Thank you to all of the sisters for their encouragement and support. This website has truly been a blessing. Best wishes and healing thoughts to all of you!!!

xo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Re: The Flip Side :)

B+

I couldn't have said it better! I too had adenomyosis and accompanying pain, bloating and constant bleeding that I've dealt with for almost 2 years now are GONE! I too am focusing on the positive, taking things slowly and marking milestones until I am completely recovered. I plan on taking this slowly and getting the strength back that I used to have before my uterus took over my life. Thank you so much for the cheerful thought and thread.

Cindy in Alabama
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Hi Cindy,

I'm glad that you can share my sentiments! Adenomyosis is such a drag...so happy that neither of us will have to deal with that particular affliction ever again!!

All the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM

I can totally relate (although I didn't have adeno to deal with, just fibroids and anaemia). The first night after my surgery I lay awake in my hospital bed and I just felt so incredibly happy and at peace....and "stable" for lack of a better expression. It was like my old self was back and I wasn't being controlled by all the extra fibroid estogen and anaemia. And I felt physically lighter, without all the pelvic pressure. I really do feel like I'm coming back to life.....what an amazing thing. You're so right about the impact on every aspect of life....I am in a relatively new relationship and the last year has been incredibly difficult. I have always been a very confidant woman and this past year in particular has just trashed me....I am so thankful I get to be myself again!

Thanks for sharing and starting this positive thread, B+!
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:43 AM

I thought I was weird for feeling so at peace with my decision to have a hysterectomy to deal with my huge fibroid filled uterus. My husband was shocked at how calm I was on surgery day (5/19/10). As I drove to the hospital, he asked "Are you OK? Did they have you take something this morning? Because you are way too calm about all this..."
But, really, it is such a relief to not have to worry about leaving the house when I have my period, or the pain and associated other nuisances fibroids caused, or the anemia...I feel SO much better and I'm only 9 days out. I also am feeling a sense of "lightness" now that it's over. Physically and mentally!
Glad to hear that others feel the same way. It's a new beginning. A healthier, happier life awaits. Can't wait to get started...(darn recovery process!)
Unread 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM

For me it wasn't so much worrying about leaving the house during my period because I had an ablation which worked perfectly. The Adeno however, caused everyday to be a period day. So I got to be so lucky to wear pads almost every day for a year and a half almost. And I would experience the cramping and bloating that went with it too the whole time too. I might not have any spotting all day, then get a cramp and go to the bathroom and have a "gush" of blood then nothing for the rest of the day.

My BM's had become irregular too. The day before my period began and the 1st day of my period I would be constipated. Then about the 2nd day of my period, I would experience diaharea, bad! Then I would go back to normal. Well as the Adeno progressed, I was either constipated or having to RUN to the bathroom. Every day. ARGH I feel SO much better now. Everything seems to be getting back to normal and I'm losing a little weight. SO YES, I am so happy to have had this done. I had little to no gas for a couple days and I seem to be healing quite quickly. So I would do this again in a heartbeat!
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Well said! I too am starting to feel more like myself again. Thanks for sharing!
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Hooray!

I'm so glad to hear that you ladies are feeling some relief already! I too was surprised that the day of and in the days after my hysterectomy, I didn't cry a single tear. You've explained this feeling of "lightness" very well.

My period had been getting worse every year since I was a teenager, when early last year I started having INSANE vomitting/diarrhea spells one or two days before my period. The periods got worse every month to the point that I literally couldn't go anywhere or do anything...a hemorrhagic nightmare to be sure! This was all bad enough, and then I started bleeding every day for about six months straight. The adeno etc took over and didn't give me any peace whatsoever! Oh, the pain...the unrelenting pain. It's funny however that I can't seem to remember what that pain felt like right now. Another hooray!

So in so many ways it feels so wonderful to say to my uterus....good bye, good riddance!!
Unread 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM

I agree with all of you on this thread...I am almost 4 weeks post-op, and I feel better today even though I'm not 100% than I have for the last year...I had multiple fibroids that caused extreme pain and cramps, I would pass multiple clots a day, and my iron levels were so low that I was a good candidate for a blood transfusion if I had any heavy bleeding during surgery, which thank God, I did not. But I have to say, I feel incredible, even though I do tire quite easily...my husband giggles that I need a nap after a short trip to the grocery story, even when he still pushes the buggy and loads and unloads all groceries still...I'm not sure when I will not tire so easily...maybe a few more weeks from what I've been reading, so I'm looking forward to that. This site has been an amazing comfort for me, and I can't express in words how grateful I am that I will never EVER be visited by Aunt Flo EVER again!!!!
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I definitely get this.

I'm 49, and I started menstruating when I was 12. I have never had a pain free menstrual period in all that time. I remember when NSAIDS first came available in the 1980s, and it was like a whole new freedom, until I gave myself gastritis and had to stop eating them like candy.

For the past 8 years or so things have been progressively worse. When my doc said that this was the end of the road, that there are no treatments left and nothing is going to fix the bleeding, pain, etc. I made my decision and it immediately felt right. I had confidence going into surgery and felt that "light" feeling almost immediately after waking up. It has yet to leave. A day or two after surgery when I told people I had less pain than I walked around with every day for the last 8 years, they looked at me like they just couldn't believe it. But it's true.

Today I took a walk in the woods behind our house with my husband. I scared a cute little lizard out of his hiding place and he skittered away. I laughed out loud at him, and then realized that laughing out loud over something small and cute was just something I had not done in a long time.

Now if I could just go to the gym...

charidawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register