Post op spotting... how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op spotting... how long? Post op spotting... how long?

Unread 06-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Post op spotting... how long?

Hello Ladies-

I was just curious as to how long post op spotting lasts?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, this is post op day 17 and I'm still having a fair amount of brown spotting. My cervix and tubes are gone but I still have both ovaries. I returned to work today (against doctor's orders, but necessary due to financial reasons), and the spotting definitely got heavier with my increased activity.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm having no pain or discomfort whatsoever, but the spotting is making me very nervous. I had this procedure done to stop bleeding! This is so disappointing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2007, 11:06 PM

Hi Everyone's different, but I had spotting until about four weeks post op; then a tiny bit again at around six to seven weeks post op as I lost a few bits of stitches. That was it - no more since then, and it's been more than five years.

If you are overdoing it too soon, resulting in more spotting, I would take that as a warning and slow down before you do some damage to your healing tissues.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-24-2007, 11:36 PM

I had a LSH. Did not start bleeding until about 3 weeks after surgery then it lasted for about 3-4 weeks, so about week 6 or 7 it started to slow down and stop.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM

This is another area that everyone is different. I consider myself extremely lucky that I had no bleeding after arriving home and a small amount of discharge for about 3 days after that. That is it....nothing else. I am wondering in my stitches have just been absorbed as I have yet to see anything like that. Good luck, I start work tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! I'll only be working a few hours a day this week though. Back to normal next week!
Unread 06-25-2007, 03:13 PM

I had a TVH and had spotting for six weeks after surgery....nothing since then, I am 3 1/2 months out now. It is not uncommon to have spotting for up to 8 weeks. My doc told me that I would expect increased spotting around 3-4 weeks as my activity picked up.
Best wishes to an speedy recovery!!
Unread 06-25-2007, 03:24 PM

my surgery was 4 days ago... i had a small amount of spotting while still in hospital after they removed the cathater (sp?) and then nothing until today... i have been overly active today due to family coming in and i haven't seen my neice in so long i just couldn't force myself to stay in bed...
i wonder if maybe i overdid it today or not... i dont feel much different pain wise.. but my bruising also appeared today where it hadn't really been there before so i'm hoping maybe its just time for it... if that makes any sense
good luck to all you guys!
Unread 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM

At my 2 week post op appt on Thurs, I was told that I should expect spotting for a while due to the amount of repairs that were done...he said that I would probably be spotting for the whole 8 weeks I am off work! ICKY!
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM

I had spotting/discharge for 5+ weeks. I just barely stopped, but I'm hoping it is gone for good. My doc said anywhere up to 8 weeks was within normal limits.
Unread 06-25-2007, 10:29 PM

I'm almost 7 weeks and am still wearing a pantyliner. Although I did find out last week at my 6 week checkup I have an infection, so that explains the spotting. I'm hoping once I'm done with med's I'll be done with pantyliners. I'm so sick of wearing them!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register