Re: 3 days post op - question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Re: 3 days post op - question Re: 3 days post op - question

Unread 08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Re: 3 days post op - question

Hi I'm post op day 3 TAH can you please tell me what not to do other than lift anything heavy? And how heavy is heavy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2013, 12:58 PM

I was told nothing heavier than a gallon of milk on lifting, but I also had hernia repairs done at the same time.
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM

I was told nothing over 5 lbs. my doctor even to me to not buy gallons of milk...buy 2 half gallons instead. Also don't do too much bending. I got really good at picking things up with my toes. But I had a tvh...not a tah. I'm 9 weeks out and I follow all the rules to a 'T'. Glad I did. I didn't have any complications and I'm completely back to normal. Happy healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2013, 03:17 PM

We have some really good resources here on this site. Here is a link to an article about doing housework: Housework after hysterectomy. Also, here is another link to our hysterectomy checkpoints that may help give you an idea of where you should be: Checkpoint weeks 1 & 2. Finally here's a list of the do's and dont's for most women: Do's and dont's. Of course these articles cannot be a substitute for your doctor's advice, so you should give him/her a call to make sure whether you are able to do certain things. Hope this helps!
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:37 PM

The hospital told me no more than 5 pounds which is less than a gallon of water.
I'm 16 days out after TAH/LSO and still not doing much of anything, I cook occasionally and fold laundry, pick up after my 6 yr old granddaughter etc.

ABSOLUTELY no sweeping, vacuuming, or mopping the floor. Those are the most strenuous parts of housework according to several doctors I've seen over the years.

If you have stuff to pick up off the floor I discovered that it was easier to bend over once and get everything tossed in the right direction before standing back up. I may look silly but who cares, I'm in the privacy of my own home.

I hope this helps, this is your chance to be pampered and waited on, enjoy it!
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengusjeep View Post
Hi I'm post op day 3 TAH can you please tell me what not to do other than lift anything heavy? And how heavy is heavy?
My Dr. said no lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, reaching and to be careful on the stairs. Oh, and no driving!

Take the time to read the info in Elsie's post above. The HysterHostesses are great at popping in with info, scolding us when we overdo it and telling us when to get our arse into the doctor.

My neighbour, who is a nurse, hemorrhaged at 5 weeks post op because she reached for something in a cupboard. Anytime she saw me outside when I was recovering, she'd yell at me to get back to bed!
Unread 08-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Im with the rest of our sisters! No more than a gallon of milk! altho your dr should have told you Good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register