Scheduled LAVH How much support will I need 2 weeks after my hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much support will I need 2 weeks after my hysterectomy? How much support will I need 2 weeks after my hysterectomy?

Unread 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM
How much support will I need 2 weeks after my hysterectomy?

My LAVH is scheduled for May 9. My partner has to travel for work May 25-June 7 (so 2 weeks after my operation, he'll be gone for 2 weeks.) I've had a few friends and one family member kindly offer to come stay with me during his absence, but I feel like by 2 weeks post-op, I'd be more content/relaxed to be alone in my "cave" healing up (with local friends to run errands/groceries for or with me when needed) than I would be having a full-time live-in house-guest. I am an introvert and prefer to be alone. My partner worries that I might have Needs that only a live-in helper could see to during those weeks. Any thoughts? By 2 weeks post-op will I be functional enough to be happy on my own in my home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Re: How much support will I need 2 weeks post-op?

What kind of hysterectomy are you having? I had a TAH. I was in the hospital for 5 days. When I came home, my husband was around the first week to help me out, as I was very sore. By my second week home, he came and went. I was able to do things for myself. Remember you cannot lift heavy things, not even a gallon of milk. So buy milk or other things in smaller sizes. And even if you have a spurt of energy, stay away from vacuuming, sweeping, raking, etc.
I know what you mean about wanting to be alone.
It might be nice to have a friend call to check in on you daily, and for you to have someone you can call as well.
Good luck!
Unread 04-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Yarrow Way (what a lovely nickname), I'd rethink wanting to be by yourself. You are going to need help for every single thing for the first week (at least the first three or four days) and to keep an eye on you,then you need someone to do everything 'normal' for you. Even with only internal stitches you are still very delicate for the first two weeks. So I'd have someone with you for two weeks, and then your partner can take over on a more part-time basis for the next two or three after that. Trust me on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM

From my experience you will be spending most of your time relaxing and going for short walks. You won't really feel like cooking as the slightest job leaves you exhausted. So if you have help with meals etc you'll be fine during the day.
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:28 PM

I agree about the meals. You will be wiped and not want to do a lot of cooking.
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM

I'm day 4 post-hysterectomy and I begged my bf to leave and go to work today. I had davinci; cervix, uterus, both ovaries. I move slow, but I move just fine. I made myself a cup of soup from a can for dinner and a piece of toast for lunch and feel plenty full. I thought I'd need way more help than I do, it's amazing how much I feel I could do that I have stop myself. I do agree about sleeping. Today I made the bed, and put some dishes in the dishwasher and napped for 5 hours. I stopped all narcotics and any pain meds that make me drowsy, so I can't blame my sleepiness on narcs.

Everyone is different. I send hugs to sisters who needed more immediate care that I do, but I"m thankful I'm where I'm at. I was prepared for the worst and pleasantly surprised. I hope the same for you.
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM

It sounds like your partner will be there for your first couple of weeks, which is good. I'm like you, I feel more at ease when I don't have to entertain or worry if the other person is bored or whatever. Depending on how your surgery is done might have something to do with how quick you will be on your feet. I had the da Vinci robot assisted and it will be two weeks tomorrow, and I just got the green light to go back to work on Monday the 28th. So if you stack your pantry with all kinds of quick meals, and if you keep in contact, maybe over the phone with someone to pick stuff up for you at the grocery store, you most likely will be ok. Everyone is different in their healing journey, but it would be nice to know that you have someone nearby in case you need them to come help you with laundry, or things around the house, or do errands etc. your phone or lap top/tablet are great tools to keep in touch with people and to learn about what is going on in your body at this time, while recovering. Best of luck, and hystersisters.com has some great articles to read when you feel up to it. Best of luck and take care.
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM

All women are different and recovery is different based on your surgery and your overall healthy. I'm a healthy, athletic 39 yr old who had a vaginal only procedure so my perspective comes from this:

I think you'll be fine on your own with calling people as needed. I came home day 1 after TVH and TVT/bladder sling. My husband did not take anytime off work, not b/c he couldn't but b/c I didn't think I needed him to. He has been full time with our kids in the morning and evening, so I am pretty much on my own when he is home too. And I have not had an uncomplicted recovery....As long has you have things setup, going from the bed to the couch to the kitchen is very doable without any help. I'm day 9 post-op today and plan on going back to work part time next week. I'm not bragging at all, I'm just illustrating that your recovery may be smoother and warier than you anticipate. I hope it is!
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM

I also had LAVH, and I did not need any help with anything after surgery. I live alone (with my 6-year-old), and I was just fine. I was home 1.5 hours after I woke up from the anesthesia. A friend stayed with me the first night (my son was with his dad), but we just hung out honestly...she didn't need to do anything for me.

Two weeks post-op, I moved to a new place, so I was pretty busy though I let friends do the real heavy lifting. I'll be three weeks post-op tomorrow, and I pretty much feel back at 100 percent.

Granted, not everyone has a recovery like mine, but I did want to offer a different perspective. Everyone recovers differently, and I think a lot of it has to do with your health going into to surgery.

Good luck!
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Re: How much support will I need 2 weeks after my hysterectomy?

I had my LAVH last year, and I was glad when my husband went back to work 4 days later. My mother came over for his peace of mind, but I would have been fine without her.

It may make him feel better if you have someone stop by once a day, just in case you need something and get the crazy idea to do too much rather than call for help. You can always cancel those plans if you don't need assistance. He will probably be better able to keep his mind on his work that way, instead of worrying about you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register