Spinal HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Spinal HELP

Hi ladies-
I am one week out from my surgery on 10-28 , TAH for 6 month size uterus due to fibroids. I thought I had everything settled re: anesthesia, I was going with spinal and sedation, but now a friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist is expressing concern that due to the size of my uterus and the fact that I have to have a vertical incision that general anesthesia may be better b/c the muscles in my body need to be relaxed so they can do the pulling and re-connecting that they need to do with a vertical incision. Anybody out there had a spinal with a large incision and/or a vertical incision? I am of course checking with my surgeon and anesthesiologist tomorrow, but I always like to get your input, too.
I thought I had this settled. Sigh.
Sincerely,
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Spinal HELP

Hello--yes I had a vertical and had talked to my anesthesiologist about alternatives to general only because I'd had a not so good experience last year during another surgery. We decided on an epidural/mild sedative. I'd had an epidural with a c-section years ago and remembered it as a good experience. Anyhow,what ended up happening was that scenario initially, but when my doc opened me up it was a lot more of a mess than was picked up by the vaginal/abdominal sonagrams so they did end up giving me more of a general anesthesia in conjunction with the epi. I came through it fine; a couple of extra hours in recovery because my blood pressure, which is normally low to begin with, kept nose diving and my core temp went a little low (94). I was not overly concerned and they really were on the ball with monitoring me. Needless to say, this is my personal experience and your gyn/anesthesiologist will help your figure it out. One last note though, the benefit of the epidural was post op for pain control--felt great and had greater mobility--it was nice not having to ring for the nurse everytime the pain flared up because it never did! Good luck--the wait 'til your date is always filled with anxiety...keep busy!
Unread 10-21-2002, 05:25 PM
Spinal HELP

s, Amy!

So glad you found this site! I'm sure your doctor/medical team will be able to answer your questions. I haven't had that same situation myself. Hope all goes well for you. The waiting truly is the hardest part.

Have a wonderful, restful recovery - and don't overdo!

~Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2002, 05:39 PM
Spinal HELP

I have figured out that if I am offered the epidural I will definately take it. I have had 3 with all my deliveries and my dh had one last year when he had abdominal aneurysm surgery and he was cut from his chest down to the pubic bone. He said he had no pain. So I think I will definately get it. Now I just don't know if I will be asleep or not. When do they usually make the pre-op appointment.? I am going in less than 4 weeks.
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:17 AM
Spinal HELP

I had a twilight anaesthetic with the epidural for post op pain relief. The epidural was in for 48 hours post op. I was numb, but with the aid of a roller-walker, I was able to walk the second day, strange sensation, but nonetheless, was great being out of bed.

IMHO, if you are offered an epidural, seriously consider it. I would do it again if I ever had surgery again.

Cheers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register