Tubal Cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Tubal Cyst

I have just had an ultrasound that seems to show I have a very large cysts which appears to be tubal. It is also adhered to the bowel. I am not too sure what this means for me and I don't meet with my doctor until dec. 5th, but from what they can see, I have the same two fibroids I have had for years which have calcefied and cause me no problems and there are no other ovarian cysts. So in short, all is looking good except for this huge tube!

I have already had 3 laparotomies and 1 laprascopic surgery so I my doctor basically said that if I need an oeration which it appears I do, it will mean a hysterectomy since each successive surgery makes it more difficult for the surgeon and will cause more problems for me because of adhesions. I am just wondering if there is any information on treatment of a blocked tube besides extensive surgery since I feel it is a darn shame to lose all of my organs because of one messy tube.

I am looking for any alternatives before I meet with the doctor again so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Tubal Cyst

Hi Christine,

I just sent you a PM reply and I see you already have been posting. Hope you get lots of replies with lots of info.

take care,
Unread 11-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Tubal Cyst

Might be a good idea to see if you are a candidate for less invasive laprascopic surgery.

Also, what does the cyst look like on ultrasound. If it is clearly benign leaving it alone would be the least invasive option. Many cysts can be left alone. Ask for a copy of your ultrasound report and read it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Tubal Cyst

I have the report and the tube itself is blown up quite large, like 14 cm by 8cm. I was told that it isn't likely to resolve on it's own. I guess I will find out more next week but I have never heard of the tube blowing up before. At this rate I am gaining about 10 pounds a month and have a lot of pain on the right side. If anyone has actually experienced this I would like to know what treatments you have experienced.
Unread 11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Tubal Cyst

Well, of course I'm not your doctor, so this is just my opinion. But unless there's a problem with your other ovary, tube and your uterus, why remove them, too?

Remove what's sick and leave the rest. I can understand removal of this tube and the ovary if it can't be resolved any other way, I suppose. But if you've gotten this far and your uterus is OK, I guess I just don't understand why it needs to be removed now. It doesn't sound as thought it's a foregone conclusion that you'll need a hysterectomy in the future.

I would seek out a second opinion and seek it now, since it does appear you need to have this one tube (and possibly ovary) dealt with fairly soon. I hope you get some answers and relief soon!
Unread 11-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Tubal Cyst

Hi Christine
My situation was similar (but not the same) to yours. My right ovary was removed 24 years ago during a caesarian. Part of the right tube was left.
About 3 or 4 years ago my heavy periods started getting even worse. I tried various options, a D&C, tried the Mirena coil twice, and a thermal ablation. Then late last year I started getting severe right side pain. 2 scans showed a right adnexal mass about 9 x 3.5 cm.
Given my history, my gyn wanted to do a hyst and in a moment of weakness I reluctantly agreed.
The mass turned out to be the swollen right tube. I think it could probably have been removed laparoscopically, but it’s too late now.
However I too have plenty of adhesions. As well as 2 caesars, I’ve had my appendix and gall bladder removed. My hysterectomy was meant to be a TAH, it turned into a SAH because of all the adhesions, it would have been too difficult to remove the cervix (I was happy to keep it), and my bladder and bowel could have been damaged. The tube was attached to my bladder, my uterus, and my pelvic wall. I have no idea why it became swollen, I suspect the ablation caused an infection to enter the tube.
So it sounds like your surgeon is saying that because you already have severe adhesions, and laparoscopic surgery will create more, if you then require even more surgery it will become increasingly difficult.
I quite understand that you want to keep your organs, I did too, and you are a lot younger than me. I don’t know why you are putting on so much weight, the tube wouldn’t weigh that much, so maybe there is another fibroid growing there.
I also can feel some of that pain you are in; at its worst I was alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen with a 2 hour overlap. That helped numb the pain, but not take it away completely.
Good luck with your appointment next week :-)
Unread 11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Tubal Cyst

I have pretty much come to accept the fact that I am going to lose my organs. It is just a question of when and whether or not I will lose them all. The tube is visibly adhered to the bowel and I can only imagine what the surgeon will find once he is in the middle of surgery. I am very afraid of menopause now and I am not sure I am a candiate for HRT. I wasn't even sure I was done having children although I know how blessed I am to have the two I do.

Thank you very much for your post. It is nice to find that there are others out there with similar experiences. I will keep you posted on how my appointment goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register